• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

And per my thoughts above, I think there is little chance the #4 seed in a better conference is behind Wake. ND finished higher in the standings so while we beat them, the overall body of work 'appears' to be better. Michigan is the only question mark out of that group IMO. So great season - choked it away against a terrible team by our inability to make even 1 of 3 uncontested 15 foot shots.

Last edited:
Fun finish in that Iowa-IU game. Great comeback.

the more likely path of last hope would be those teams you mention all in, along with A&M, Indiana, VT, and WF the last team in ahead of:

SMU - plays Memphis today in semifinal; need a Memphis win
Dayton - plays Richmond today in semifinal; probably need a Richmond win and then definitely need a Davidson win tomorrow
Oklahoma - season over
Xavier - season over
Wyoming - season over
BYU - season over
North Texas - season over
VCU - season over

but I think one or more of those teams will get in ahead of WF

Agree but any bid steal where Davidson or Houston don't win the conference tourney, there is no slot available. So we have to be considered the best of these teams AND have no bid stealing. The chances IMO are slim but not quite 0 yet.

the more likely path of last hope would be those teams you mention all in, along with A&M, Indiana, VT, and WF the last team in ahead of:

SMU - plays Memphis today in semifinal; need a Memphis win
Dayton - plays Richmond today in semifinal; probably need a Richmond win and then definitely need a Davidson win tomorrow
Oklahoma - season over
Xavier - season over
Wyoming - season over
BYU - season over
North Texas - season over
VCU - season over

but I think one or more of those teams will get in ahead of WF

Fwiw I just posted my most recent update — and put that exact field in, with Wake/A&M and ND/Rutgers in first four. Mostly trying to will it to happen by keeping us in some brackets at this point, not sure what I’ll do in final version.

It’s the narrowest of paths and about the only one I see as well. For that path to work, SMU and Dayton losing today both look necessary. And then Davidson beating Richmond tomorrow.

Houston or Memphis winning AAC would work in that case.

Sorry - yes - Memphis is a tourney team. Davidson is the 'must win the tourney' team.

I can't figure Lunardi out. He finally moved Michigan to the last 4 in but still has Wyoming and Xavier in. If I was a fan of either of those schools, I'd be more than worried. Wyoming is behind Wake in the NET ratings and has more Quad 4 exposure - I don't get it. I don't see how Xavier gets in going 3-8 since the beginning of February. VT seems likely to be in as does TAMU with those 2 being out. So in the Lunardi case, we need to be rated ahead of SMU.

Not that it makes me feel any better, but the way things have gone down, I'm starting to think that we would've been in a play-in game anyway had we defeated BC and lost to UM.

Not that it makes me feel any better, but the way things have gone down, I'm starting to think that we would've been in a play-in game anyway had we defeated BC and lost to UM.

Yeah, probably so

looking again at SMU's resume - WF is out

SMU played a better non-con, they swept Memphis in the regular season (Memphis beat VT and that road win is better than anything we have), they beat Houston at home, they beat Vandy and Dayton (there's Dayton again!), they are in ahead of us

SMU has poor losses peppered throughout their season. Especially in AAC which was very weak in 3/4 of the conference.

Getting a bid to ANY tournament shouldn't be the goal for the Deacs. The goal MUST be to win at least 2 games in the NCAAT, or the NIT Championship if we get a bid to either. Otherwise we've underperformed and proved what people still think of us......LOWF.

Nah, if fate puts them there, they have to go to the NIT. I won't watch until (if) they get to the Final but I'm sure the boys want to play more BB to get the stank off them.
And the trip to NYC (MSG) is a great experience.

I honestly have no idea why people think we’re too good for the NIT. We’ve been abysmal for years.

I honestly have no idea why people think we’re too good for the NIT. We’ve been abysmal for years.
Nothing to do with feeling we're too good, more of a "it's such a loser's consolation tournament, who even cares about it?" Participating is just additional reinforcement of LOWF

NIT = National Irrelevancy Tournament. Maximum upside is "yup, you are the 69th best team in the country." This is obviously from a fan's perspective so I'm sure the coaches and players feel differently. But zero excitement generated for the NIT, especially knowing our team is going to look materially different next year even if we win the whole thing.

The team needs reps in single elimination tournaments. You okay if you get invited

Agreed. There was a poll on Twitter asking if Wake fans would prefer to lose in the NCAA first four or win the NIT. To me, that's an absolute no-brainer: lose a game on Tuesday to finish the season with two straight losses or win 5 straight and cut down some nets? Give me 5 straight wins every single time.

Agreed. There was a poll on Twitter asking if Wake fans would prefer to lose in the NCAA first four or win the NIT. To me, that's an absolute no-brainer: lose a game on Tuesday to finish the season with two straight losses or win 5 straight and cut down some nets? Give me 5 straight wins every single time.

We have been to 2 NIT Final Fours in the last 40 years while we have only been to 1 NCAA Final Four in the last 60 years. Plus we have an NIT Championship. Maybe we should stop trying to fight above our weight class.

Back