• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

We have been to 2 NIT Final Fours in the last 40 years while we have only been to 1 NCAA Final Four in the last 60 years. Plus we have an NIT Championship. Maybe we should stop trying to fight above our weight class.
This is lame. "We haven't been successfully in the NCAAT historically so stop trying." WTF?

Lunardi has Wake getting close to falling off the NIT one line. Been a sinking ship ever since the NC St game.

Agreed. There was a poll on Twitter asking if Wake fans would prefer to lose in the NCAA first four or win the NIT. To me, that's an absolute no-brainer: lose a game on Tuesday to finish the season with two straight losses or win 5 straight and cut down some nets? Give me 5 straight wins every single time.

My first two years at Wake we got to experience both scenarios:

Won the NIT freshman year
Got Bulterized sophomore year

Guess the NIT was a happy final result but still think I’d rather make the real tournament and lose immediately if only for the few days of excited anticipation. This assumes playing in the 64 round - flaming out in the First Four is a little tougher because it’s like you weren’t even really in the tournament

Getting a bid to ANY tournament shouldn't be the goal for the Deacs. The goal MUST be to win at least 2 games in the NCAAT, or the NIT Championship if we get a bid to either. Otherwise we've underperformed and proved what people still think of us......LOWF.

get a fucking grip. Of course that's the goal, but if you told us at Halloween that we'd finish 5th in the conference, win COY and POY, and be on the bubble today, we'd have all taken it. Yes, it's disappointing, but still a huge step forward.

Give me Dayton every time, and I was a big critic of Manning for peaking there.

You go to Dayton, you have a chance. Nobody but degenerate gamblers gives a shit about the NIT

i'd rather be in the NCAA vs winning the NIT, but we sure as hell aren't too good for it. Remember - our players LIKE playing basketball. Getting to go play in another tournament is a GOOD thing, regardless of whether there's any lasting fame that comes with it. Let them go have fun and get better. For some of them, this will be their last college game and you can't blame them for wanting to keep that going.

Give me Dayton every time, and I was a big critic of Manning for peaking there.

You go to Dayton, you have a chance. Nobody but degenerate gamblers gives a shit about the NIT

Yes, but the question was losing in the first four vs winning the NIT.

My first two years at Wake we got to experience both scenarios:

Won the NIT freshman year
Got Bulterized sophomore year

Guess the NIT was a happy final result but still think I’d rather make the real tournament and lose immediately if only for the few days of excited anticipation. This assumes playing in the 64 round - flaming out in the First Four is a little tougher because it’s like you weren’t even really in the tournament

You would rather get Butlerized than win the NIT? Winning the NIT would be so much more interesting and fun, in my opinion.

I look forward to the absolute coffin that a Joel NIT home game will be, and the ensuing lively debate about supporting the team, the Joel as a home court, and how we should just be excited to be playing.

i'd rather be in the NCAA vs winning the NIT, but we sure as hell aren't too good for it. Remember - our players LIKE playing basketball. Getting to go play in another tournament is a GOOD thing, regardless of whether there's any lasting fame that comes with it. Let them go have fun and get better. For some of them, this will be their last college game and you can't blame them for wanting to keep that going.

This is spot on. Forbes brought me back in and I will stick around for a while, including rooting this team on in whatever their next game happens to be. Definitely would choose Dayton all day every day but am glad for the guys to keep playing - and for those coming back at to get a taste of more basketball, even if that is in the NIT

If you said "you could either win the NIT 10 years in a row or lose in Dayton 10 years in a row" i would choose Dayton.

Interesting. I absolutely would choose the opposite. To be clear, you would choose a mid-March record of 0-10 vs 50-0?

Interesting comment made by Forbes last week that in essence he came to Wake and the ACC so that he would essentially "already have a bid in hand before the ACCT."

He seems to have miscalculated. :(

I would also choose the 0-10. I don’t even have interest in filling out a bracket and watching when we aren’t in it (which has made for a long last decade). It’s just nice to be a part of it. I feel the same about bowl games. Not being in one makes the entire bowl season boring. It’s just nice to see our name scrolling across the bottom of the screen and included in bowl picks.

Clarification. I'd prefer to lose in the play in game in the NCAA than win the NIT.
Not even close.

Interesting. I absolutely would choose the opposite. To be clear, you would choose a mid-March record of 0-10 vs 50-0?
Absolutely. Being King Shit of the NIT feels so very NC State. Give me the semblance of something important please.

Clarification. I'd prefer to lose in the play in game in the NCAA than win the NIT.
Not even close.

Having watched Wake do both, it's way more fun to win a bunch of games in March than to lose one before the tournament even gets going.

If the question was being in the first 4 vs NIT champ, then no doubt being in the first 4. Just look at UCLA last year.

So, if vt loses to dook they're out also and only 4 ACC teams are dancing?

If they lose and still get a bid over Wake.... :mad:

I think I roll with David Thompson. "I ain't playing in no loser's tournament."

Back