• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Professional Deacon Golf

Zalatoris getting schooled by Kisner this afternoon.

That was going to be tough going straight back out after that playoff.

PGA Tour Live has made Thursdays and Fridays at work so great.

This week's PGA Event is the Zurich Classic in New Orleans. It's a two man team event.

Bill Haas (who still has lots of work to do to get into the top 125 for this season) is teamed with his Dad, Jay. Pretty cool, both are Deacon greats, but this is a legit event (with teams such as Morikawa/Hovland; Cam Smith/Leishman; Scheffler/Palmer) and this event counts toward keeping your PGA card, world rankings, tour exemptions. Jay Haas is 68, and barely competes on the Champions Tour. I know they will have fun, but there are so many deserving players that would love to get into this event; just seems a little weird that the Haas/Haas pairing is essentially a ceremonial entry with no chance to compete. FWIW, I am a fan of the Haas family, and hope they prove me wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

So Haas is a big nothingburger ? Is that what you’re saying ?

Worked so well the first time...

3bit1f.jpg

This week's PGA Event is the Zurich Classic in New Orleans. It's a two man team event.

Bill Haas (who still has lots of work to do to get into the top 125 for this season) is teamed with his Dad, Jay. Pretty cool, both are Deacon greats, but this is a legit event (with teams such as Morikawa/Hovland; Cam Smith/Leishman; Scheffler/Palmer) and this event counts toward keeping your PGA card, world rankings, tour exemptions. Jay Haas is 68, and barely competes on the Champions Tour. I know they will have fun, but there are so many deserving players that would love to get into this event; just seems a little weird that the Haas/Haas pairing is essentially a ceremonial entry with no chance to compete. FWIW, I am a fan of the Haas family, and hope they prove me wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

The event does not count for world ranking points but your point stands. Bill could use a lot more fed ex cup points and has been playing fairly well. Teaming up with a top 100 player could have significantly helped him

Or at least team up with a pro with lesser status to give them their shot at an exemption with a win, like Koepka does with his brother.

An amazing first round for father and son at the Zurich Open.

Jay and Bill Haas finished the first round -7 and in 6th place. Even though half the field has yet to tee-off and the team will drop down the leaderboard during the day, they will certainly finish in the top half of the field, and would be in line to make the cut with a similar finish in alternate shot (which is a much tougher format). What a stud Jay Haas is! 68 year-old. The course is 7425 yards (sea-level), and Jay cards 4 birdies, and no bogies. To give an idea of how well the Haas team played, the defending champs, Cam Smith and Mark Leishman, played a couple of groups behind the Haas group, and Smith.Leishman are -6 through 16 holes. Also, the oldest player to ever make the cut in a PGA tour event was Sam Snead at age 67 in the 1979 Westchester Classic. Jay Haas is 68. Realize that they could crumble tomorrow, but really impressive showing today for two Deacon golf greats.

haas2018-847-streeterlecka.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Pilch. Hope they keep it going. Would be great for them and great for Wake. It would make my day as well.

An amazing first round for father and son at the Zurich Open.

Jay and Bill Haas finished the first round -7 and in 6th place. Even though half the field has yet to tee-off and the team will drop down the leaderboard during the day, they will certainly finish in the top half of the field, and would be in line to make the cut with a similar finish in alternate shot (which is a much tougher format). What a stud Jay Haas is! 68 year-old. The course is 7425 yards (sea-level), and Jay cards 4 birdies, and no bogies. To give an idea of how well the Haas team played, the defending champs, Cam Smith and Mark Leishman, played a couple of groups behind the Haas group, and Smith.Leishman are -6 through 16 holes. Also, the oldest player to ever make the cut in a PGA tour event was Sam Snead at age 67 in the 1979 Westchester Classic. Jay Haas is 68. Realize that they could crumble tomorrow, but really impressive showing today for two Deacon golf greats.

Did not see this story playing out this way in my head when I saw they were teamed up....hope they can keep it going tomorrow and through the weekend!

I was surprised Bill chose Jay for this event needing high leaderboard finishes to get himself into the top 125. Hopefully his decision continues to pay off over the weekend. Great day 1.

Here is a pgatour.com article on their round with some nice quotes from other competitors about Jay's play: https://www.pgatour.com/news/2022/04/21/jay-haas-has-cut-record-in-sight-after-vintage-opener-at-zurich-classic-of-new-orleans-son-bill-haas.html

In addition to going for the record for the oldest player to make a PGA Tour cut, if they make the cut, Jay will add to his current record of making the most PGA Tour cuts (Jay has made 591 cuts) of any golfer in history.... yes, more cuts made than Jack, Tiger, Phil or anyone else.

Back