• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Professional Deacon Golf

Of course it doesn't matter now, but I'd like to see a video of a low handicapper placing his ball where Will's was on the rocks and hitting a dozen or so shots to see what a possible outcome may have been (might want to use those clubs that have been in the back of the garage for years rather than your normal set).

Of course it doesn't matter now, but I'd like to see a video of a low handicapper placing his ball where Will's was on the rocks and hitting a dozen or so shots to see what a possible outcome may have been (might want to use those clubs that have been in the back of the garage for years rather than your normal set).

He said in his post-round interview that he couldn't even get the club to the bottom half of the ball. With that in mind, I don't see how it's possible that ball gets onto the green from there. Maybe if it came backwards off the grass then got a lucky bounce off the rocks forwards.

6BIEOQ6TTZCADNHRNORLTKJ55M.jpg

Yeah I think if you took 5 cuts at that with a wedge, you'd probably catch it 2 or 3 times on the equator hard enough to pop it out and maybe put it on the green.

But the other 2 or 3 times you either hit the rocks first and the club bounces over the ball, or you top it a little and it doesn't move, buries more, or bounces back into the water. Really great decision by Will and his caddie.

Side note on the earlier comments about who was away - that isn't some kind of judgment call or situation where Will's timing on the drop decision would have impacted who played next. It's just a rule like any other and wasn't some kind of option/opinion he took advantage of.

Folks have been saying for a while that if Will could just putt decently he's good enough to win even with his B game, which looked like exactly what happened. Really small group of players who can do that.

If that sod is somewhat firm, it's bouncing back into the water. If it's soft, he could have buried it further into the sod. I didn't really see any other outcome, and was borderline yelling at my TV for him to take the drop.

I honestly can't believe that Will even thought about it. Maybe if Sepp had stuck his third shot to like a foot it becomes worth thinking about, but with Sepp looking at a 4 footer for a 5, all Will (one of the best wedge players on tour) needed to do was get up and down from 95 yards to win the tournament. Even if he failed make a 4 from the drop zone, the worst outcome was almost certainly making a 5 and moving on to the next hole.

Maybe if you are in a playoff against Cam Smith you take the risky play to try and win it on that hole. Against Sepp Straka, I don't see any defense for taking the risk of losing the tournament on that shot.

pretty crazy that Will fired his caddy and then gets his first win a week later

Yeah I think if you took 5 cuts at that with a wedge, you'd probably catch it 2 or 3 times on the equator hard enough to pop it out and maybe put it on the green.

But the other 2 or 3 times you either hit the rocks first and the club bounces over the ball, or you top it a little and it doesn't move, buries more, or bounces back into the water. Really great decision by Will and his caddie.

Side note on the earlier comments about who was away - that isn't some kind of judgment call or situation where Will's timing on the drop decision would have impacted who played next. It's just a rule like any other and wasn't some kind of option/opinion he took advantage of.

Folks have been saying for a while that if Will could just putt decently he's good enough to win even with his B game, which looked like exactly what happened. Really small group of players who can do that.

Couldn’t he have taken an unplayable and dropped on the fringe behind him? You’d think a little chip would have been a decent call there too. I haven’t heard anyone mention it though. Looks no closer to the hole. Am I missing something?

Couldn’t he have taken an unplayable and dropped on the fringe behind him? You’d think a little chip would have been a decent call there too. I haven’t heard anyone mention it though. Looks no closer to the hole. Am I missing something?

His ball is in a penalty area. I don't think you can take unplayable from a penalty area

Couple things, b2b is right that it wouldn't be an "unplayable" because you can't take that in a penalty area. But if that was a red line penalty area and it had crossed on the green side before bouncing back to where it is then he could drop it somewhere chippable no closer to the hole. But since it's yellow it's re-hit the tee shot or use the drop area (typically you could drop behind the spot where it crossed, but in this case that's not really feasible since it's all a carry over water).

I don’t see anyway that ball could be hit and advanced forward. It either doesn’t move or goes backward in the water. It should’ve been an easy choice. I know he needed to take a good look at it, but I hope it was never a real question in his mind to pick it up and go to the drop zone.

currently:

t51 +2 Power
t129 +5 McLauchlan
y129 +5 Stirsman
t186 +7 Brennan

top 64 after today make match play

pretty crazy that Will fired his caddy and then gets his first win a week later

Feel really bad for his old caddy as not sure it really is the caddy as the wins were going to come sooner or later, unless new caddy is the one to help Will with his putting? But poor guy is seeing some serious earnings go out the window.

Feel really bad for his old caddy as not sure it really is the caddy as the wins were going to come sooner or later, unless new caddy is the one to help Will with his putting? But poor guy is seeing some serious earnings go out the window.

The way it was made to sound was that they are super close outside of golf. Classic example of work stuff bleeding into their personal relationship. The decision was made to pull the plug on the golf part so they didn't nuke their friendship. Stinks to miss out on what is likely the first of many wins, but if they're as close as it sounds I'm sure Will is making sure that Goble is getting taken care of/is being set up to land on his feet.

The way it was made to sound was that they are super close outside of golf. Classic example of work stuff bleeding into their personal relationship. The decision was made to pull the plug on the golf part so they didn't nuke their friendship. Stinks to miss out on what is likely the first of many wins, but if they're as close as it sounds I'm sure Will is making sure that Goble is getting taken care of/is being set up to land on his feet.

The guy made roughly a mil as a caddy over the last 2 seasons. I'm sure he is ok.

Back