• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official NIT Thread - 2nd round games Sat and Sun

Wait, so the university would have to pay money for the women's team to play in a tournament nobody cares about? Tough sell IMO.

64, yes sixty-four college teams that did not make the women's field of 68, signed up to pay to play. After this past year exposed how women's basketball was neglected as compare to men's basketball. Lots of college, even one's with small budgets, are willing to pay to give the women opportunities to play.

64, yes sixty-four college teams that did not make the women's field of 68, signed up to pay to play. After this past year exposed how women's basketball was neglected as compare to men's basketball. Lots of college, even one's with small budgets, are willing to pay to give the women opportunities to play.
It's neglected because it's a poor product compared to men's ball.

ETA: n/m you're saying it was neglected administratively, not by audiences.

Last edited:
It's neglected because it's a poor product compared to men's ball.

Wow. That’s a hot take. I really enjoy watching women’s college ball. I realize I’m a woman, but even people like my dad enjoy going to women’s games. They usually play good team ball, solid fundamentals, easy to root for.

Wow. That’s a hot take. I really enjoy watching women’s college ball. I realize I’m a woman, but even people like my dad enjoy going to women’s games. They usually play good team ball, solid fundamentals, easy to root for.
As a whole, it's not comparable from a fan-drawing perspective. Nothing hot-takish about that. Sure there are people that enjoy it. One of the reasons is due to a lot less top-to-bottom depth across the leagues. The top 5 teams generally are so much better than anybody else. Also, athletically it's not on par with men's basketball so that makes it less of a draw comparatively.

Yes, I agree on the women and fundamental hoops.

Never really liked it when they went with the smaller ball, as that ball always felt less "cushiony" and more slick and hard to dribble.

It seems like a ball that is IN BETWEEN the women's ball and the current men's ball would be ideal.

Watch USC play, great coach, spirit and they put 13,000 plus in the seats for home games. Greensboro is thrilled they are in our regional.

Women's basketball fan interest is on the rise. Still not on the same level as men's hoop, but there are programs (S. Carolina, UCONN), where the women outdraw the men. It's a completely different game. Below the rim. Would be interested to see what kind of fan support the WF women would get if they had a top 10 team. Think it would be solid.

I used to think women's bball was a relatively enjoyable product for the same reasons-- solid fundamentals, lack of showboating, etc. I've come to realize that it's just boring as fuck. I can't stand the three ball that gets pushed forward due to upper body strength disparities, the completely noncompetitive nature of most games when elite teams are involved, the ugliness of the game beneath the basket.

There was some dumb article the other day decrying Britney Griner's detainment in Russia as unnecessary if only the WNBA paid better like the Russian leagues, and I thought the WNBA has been propped up for years by ESPN and the NBA, doesn't draw nearly the fans, doesn't charge nearly the same for tickets. It's a boring product and most people would rather watch a cornhole or axethrowing match as an alternative to a WNBA game.

Great atmosphere at Utah State. Guess they didn’t get the message about the NIT being a pointless endeavor where nobody tries all that hard and a few dozen fans sleep through the game.

Lots of people on the boards commenting about all the NIT games tonight, must be a pretty important sporting event.

Utah St is only home team to get beat thus far and that was against a quality opponent. Hope Wake shows up. A potential home game vs VCU could be fun to watch.

wow I'm shocked that a board that is 98 percent dudes has strong opinions on women's basketball

Mind blown. Not because I think it might or could happen. <Shrugs> no idea. I'm just shocked at this pick and how they got to it.

Honestly, Wake this year reminds me a ton of last year’s UCLA team. I doubt we’ll come out cold and I could see us staying hot.

Seriously. And you can tell how few games they’ve watched. Simply the fact that women have quarters and aren’t FT fests makes the game watchable.

Xavier ruined our chances of getting a revenge game vs Cleveland St in the finals.

Back