• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official NIT Thread - 2nd round games Sat and Sun

The NIT shouldn't even exist. It's basically the equivalent of a pre-xmas bowl game in a 80% empty stadium.

I went to the NIT final when we won, NC State in a game it looked like we were going to lose and then ND. It’s not the NCAA but now that I’ve come to grips w the end of our season I’m excited to see Forbes show me he can get a team up and ready to play in the little dance. We have the POY and a 2nd team all conf pic. We are good enough to get to NY and win. If we lay an egg it will be just another season like the last 10 but if we take this seriously and get to NY I believe it will be a foundation season for a trajectory moving forward like Clawson has done in FB

The NIT shouldn't even exist. It's basically the equivalent of a pre-xmas bowl game in a 80% empty stadium.

The NIT existed before the NCAA Tournament.

The team SHOULD understand that we need this. We need the experience of playing in a tournament environment. We need the extra practice and game time. We need the exposure that we will get by advancing and looking good doing it. We need this opportunity to show that we can play with pride and urgency.

If they don't understand this then we shouldn't play. If they do, I look forward to watching them kick some postseason butt - because they are super fun to watch when they play well...

Such a miserable fanbase.

This program has had one post-season bid in more than ten years, and the prevailing sentiment is that playing in the NIT is beneath your attention. Many here act like Forbes should have had this team safety in the dance in two years after the previous incompetents left WF in total disarray. In less than two years, he rebuilt the roster, rejuvenated the program and completely changed the direction. Instead of appreciation, we have a bunch of brats posting here like they are above caring about a program that missed an NCAA bid by a bees dick.

All of you with that attitude, go root for Duke or Kentucky and don’t bother coming back. Just pathetic.

The team should have beaten BC. They did not. People are pissed, and understandably so.

Towson was the regular-season champion of the Colonial Athletic League. They got upset in the conference tournament by eventual winner Delaware, and are a much better team.

They are better than BC, Pitt, NC State, Clemson, FSU, Louisville. Arguably Cuse and Virginia. They will be our second-best non-conference opponent this season.

If our side of the NIT bracket (Towson, VCU, Princeton) were on our out-of-conference sked, we may be in the NCAAT. Maybe a good grouping to start booking for next season.

The magical 2000 NIT run was definitely the jumping off point for “firing” Odom after getting Butlerized in 2001.

The team SHOULD understand that we need this. We need the experience of playing in a tournament environment. We need the extra practice and game time. We need the exposure that we will get by advancing and looking good doing it. We need this opportunity to show that we can play with pride and urgency.

If they don't understand this then we shouldn't play. If they do, I look forward to watching them kick some postseason butt - because they are super fun to watch when they play well...

They should have understood that at the ACC Tournament, but clearly they didn’t. Almost no chance that they do so now against a team nobody has ever heard of before.

Towson was the regular-season champion of the Colonial Athletic League. They got upset in the conference tournament by eventual winner Delaware, and are a much better team.

They are better than BC, Pitt, NC State, Clemson, FSU, Louisville. Arguably Cuse and Virginia. They will be our second-best non-conference opponent this season.

If our side of the NIT bracket (Towson, VCU, Princeton) were on our out-of-conference sked, we may be in the NCAAT. Maybe a good grouping to start booking for next season.

Yep. If we don’t show up to play we will get whooped.

Yep. If we don’t show up to play we will get whooped.

Good news is that if it happens (and it is pretty likely that it will happen), almost nobody will see it. Either in person or otherwise. There is no one who isn’t a rabid fan of either school who will even give a passing thought to whether this game is played at all.

A fair amount of students should go to the game. A poor showing makes Forbes's job much harder going forward. Local fans too. If they keep score, put your best foot forward.

The year we won the NIT was a lot of fun. I’d love to have a similar experience with this group . We didn’t make the ncaa tourney and that sucks but next season is going to happen whether we bitch and moan or go out and win some NIT games so I prefer the latter.

It is what it is. Let learn how to win when it's lose or go home.

The year we won the NIT was a lot of fun. I’d love to have a similar experience with this group . We didn’t make the ncaa tourney and that sucks but next season is going to happen whether we bitch and moan or go out and win some NIT games so I prefer the latter.

I agree that run felt really fun as a student. One thing that was exciting about it- despite it not being true in the end- was that it felt like something to build on. That whole team was back the next year and it felt like the sky was the limit. I’d feel a little more excited about this now with some assurances our core guys who can, are going to stick around next year. That said, our students have never seen a post-season and I hope this is special for them and something for the players and coach to build on.

This team has been extremely fun to watch this year. I've punished myself for the last ten years watching Wake Basketball. This team actually made me look forward to the Wake games again. And I 100% admit that I was spoiled as hell being at Wake from 1990 - 1997, but it was really nice to look forward to the games again.

The fact that this team choked their spot in the big dance away hurts, but it happened because they haven't learned how to win the big games yet. This is our next chance to learn how to do that. We've got to start somewhere teaching them how to win. Looking back at the last 10-15 years of NIT winners ... the coaches include Scott Drew, Shaka Smart, Jamie Dixon, Gregg Marshall, Penny Hardaway, Thad Matta, and John Beilein. I want Coach Forbes to prove he belongs on that list too, as those guys have made it to Final 4s and at least one won the title. These Deacs are the best team in the NIT (and better than quite a few of the teams that made the NCAA as at-large teams), when they play like they want it. I, for one, plan on hopping on a plane to NYC to cheer this team on, if they win the first three. Would have loved to make in to the Final 4 in New Orleans, but just like the crappy schedule that held us back from a bid, you've got to beat the team on the court. Let's not let the season end with a loss.

It seems you are making your opinions seem as fact. The only fact is Pitt beat them this year. They played no one else in the ACC.

It seems you are making your opinions seem as fact. The only fact is Pitt beat them this year. They played no one else in the ACC.

It's based on two of the most used rating systems (KP and NET) we have available. It is a fact they are rated better than the teams listed. If you don't like those rating systems, that is fine. You are right, there is no way to know what they would have done H2H in the ACC.

WF losing to BC on a neutral floor by 5 is not that different than Towson losing by 3 on the road to Pitt.

I have no problem saying the Tigers are a good opponent and one of the toughest OOC team we have faced so far. Safe to say we still be heavy favorites at home.

Because ACCN thinks we all want to watch the Wuffies play Coastal Carolina in baseball (which is what's scheduled). Just for that, I'll be rooting for Coastal Carolina (even though they beat us last week).

Doubtful there would be more eyeballs on Wake Towson first round NIT than State Coastal in baseball.

Back