• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 33: NIT Round 1 - Towson at LJVM - Wednesday 7 pm

Pilchard

Reaction score
This Wednesday evening, the Towson Tigers visit WF and will face an electric Deacon fanbase and a rabid LJVM to open WF's NIT run. Here is the skinny on Towson.

2021-22 Towson season: 25-8 #77. Perhaps no team in the country was more undervalued than Towson to start this season. Towson finished last year's COVID ravaged season 4-14 and #298 in the country. Despite losing 2 starters off last year's weak team, KP upgraded Towson to #245 to start this season. At the end of February, Towson had climbed 182 spots to #63 in the nation as the Tigers out performed all expectations; as an epically undervalued team, Towson had a tidy 21-10-2 ATS record this year. The Tigers entered their conference tournament on a 7 game win streak (every win but one by double digits), and many college hoop prognosticators targeted Towson as a team that could do some damage in the NCAAT. With a KP rank of #77, the Tigers have essentially the same KP rank as NCAAT #11 seed Rutgers #73, and Towson is rated ahead of NCAA #12 seed Richmond (#83). The Tigers are a solid team.

Analytics: The Tigers are the #57 offensive team in the nation (WF is #34). Offensively, Towson dominates the offensive boards. They are the #8 offensive rebounding team in the nation, Towson is also a solid three point shooting team (36% - #57). Otherwise, the Tigers do everything pretty well on offense (limit turnovers, get to the the line, shoots FTs), but they are not spectacular in any other offensive category. Towson is the #110 defensive team in the nation (99.5 defensive efficiency), but their defense improved in conference play; the Tigers led the CAA in 2 PT defense, effective FG% defense and were #2 in 3 PT defense and steal %. Towson plays at a slow tempo #324 in average offensive possession length.

Roster: Fun fact, Towson starting big man, Charles Thompson is the son of Tony "the Tiger" Thompson the former #8 ranked heavyweight boxer and who faced current freedom fighter Wladmir Klitschko in two world heavyweight championship fights:

300px-Klitschko-Thompson_I_81925539.jpg

So, urge WF fans to refrain scrapping with the Towson Tiger fans in attendance. Might end badly.

When they are healthy, and they are, Towson starts:

G 6-1 Jr. Jason Gibson: great shooter: 42% from 3; 89% from the line; when he is hitting from deep, Towson is tough to beat
G 6-3 Sr. Antonio Rizzuto: Albany transfer; 37% from 3; 80% from the line
G 6-4 Jr. Nicolas Timberlake: leading scorer 15 ppg; 41% from 3; double figures in 7 straight games
F 6-5 Sr. Cam Holden: Tenn-Martin transfer; does everything for Towson; leads team in rebounding, steals and assists; 2nd in scoring
C 6-7 Jr. Charles Thompson: tough player; 61% from the field; second in boards; first in blocks; can't shoot the 3

Bench:

G/F 6-4 Sr. Terry Nolan: Bradley transfer; 10 ppg; 2nd in assists and steals;
F/C 6-8 Sr. Juwan Gray: San Diego transfer; 8 ppg and 4 rpg; 80% from the line 33% from 3
C 6-10 Jr. Chase Paar: GW transfer: 2nd in blocks; 53% from the field

Projection: KP projects a 77-71 WF win in 67 possessions. At #77, Towson is rated ahead of 8 ACC teams (just behind of Cuse; just ahead of Clemson). They dominated the CAA (rated 53 spots ahead of the next highest conference team) before tripping up against Delaware in the CAA Tournament. Until that tourney loss, Towson had not lost a game by more than 11 points all year (including road games at NCAAT teams USF and Ohio State). The Tigers are a tough veteran team; they grind out possessions and crash the offensive boards. The key will be for WF to keep Towson from getting 2nd chance points. The other key will be controlling tempo. Opponents have been unable to stop WF from running at home. If this game turns into a track meet, the Tigers will be in trouble. If the game is played at Towson's pace, it will be a slog. Feel like Coach Forbes and the team will be ready to play from the opening tip. Even so, Towson is feisty and remains under-valued. Think WF wins, but it may be near the current number of 6.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm predicting a very uninspired performance by our guys and a loss to make the end of this season even uglier. Hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately I'm predicting a very uninspired performance by our guys and a loss to make the end of this season even uglier. Hope I'm wrong.

Hope you're wrong too! If the team isn't up for this game then they have no reason to be upset about not making the NCAAT. Uninspired performances at Clemson and BC helped them get here.

I think we'll all be surprised and see the Team we thought would advance well into the ACT. Here's hoping I am right.

Anybody know what the practice schedule has been like since the ACCT? The timing gap will be the same as from NCSt to BC ... Curious if the team has been resting or practicing. And hydrating.

Anybody know what the practice schedule has been like since the ACCT? The timing gap will be the same as from NCSt to BC ... Curious if the team has been resting or practicing. And hydrating.

I hope they eat steak before every single game, document every moment, post about it, boast about it, and then win the NIT.

The Deacons need a return to playing GGTT. In the final seven games (3-4) that kept them out of the Dance, the Deacs never limited an opponent to less than 74 points and surrendered an average of 77+ points a game. If they have any hopes of winning the NIT, they will need to keep their opponent under 70 points to have a chance.

I doubt this happens but this is an opportunity to give the freshmen some exposure to tournament basketball. If any of the upperclassmen are lethargic and not giving their best effort, put their butt on the bench and give the frosh some run.

So it is correct that you have to pay for ESPN+ to have access to the game tonight? I don't care about the $5, but want to make sure that is correct before signing up for their bullshit.

If we win, when would be the vcu matchup? Guessing next Monday or Tuesday

So it is correct that you have to pay for ESPN+ to have access to the game tonight? I don't care about the $5, but want to make sure that is correct before signing up for their bullshit.

Especially since it's essentially a completely different app. It's insanely frustrating. You can be logged into your ESPN account, have ESPN+, but still be logged out of ESPN+. One of the worst user experiences out there.

Smart money on WF. WF has been great ATS at home this year.

I didn't see the full pre-NIT presser posted, saw other posters reference it. Gave a preview of Towson and some other notes:

- Team started practicing again on Friday after the ACCT
- Said he knew their chances of a bid were dimming with the other game results
- Mentioned several times the lack of Q1 opportunities being unusual compared to past year's in the ACC. Last two years WF had 10, this year 4. Some teams were better when we played them - mention NW and Louisville being higher in Net/KP when we played them.
- Said out of conference will definitely change next season. Sounds like Xavier is definitely back, mentioned a bad early-season tournament (Jamaica?) that sounds like we can't get out of. Also some outside scheduling consultants are going to help with this. Said will try to look for neutral games, too difficult to get top-30 to play us at home
- Mentioned that Larranaga called him after Selection Sunday and was upset WF didn't get in
- Said he expects all seniors to put name in NBA draft to get evaluated. Said he has had initial discussion with Walton, Mucius, Williamson.
- First experience on the bubble, doesn't want to go through it again
- Said even if we beat BC/Miami in ACCT, not 100% in NCAAT based on conversation he had "high up"
- Said he knows how important ACCT is, acknowledged that he knows it's "been awhile" for WF winning it

I have no idea what to expect tonight. It looks like most of the favorites won last night. VCU smashed Princeton, which would be our next-round matchup.

Towson has been excellent on ORB, assume that will continue tonight. May allow us more fast-break opportunities and easy buckets in transition.

We had a lot of turnovers again vs. BC after several games in a row with lower amounts. Towson forces a low amount.

Think we will get some easier buckets than we did against BC, and probably more FTA than they will.

We'll know by the first media timeout if WF came ready to play or if its going through the motions.

Especially since it's essentially a completely different app. It's insanely frustrating. You can be logged into your ESPN account, have ESPN+, but still be logged out of ESPN+. One of the worst user experiences out there.

So does that mean, Yes you have to pay ESPN to watch the game tonight? Does everyone here already pay ESPN for their premium mid major games?

NIT Schedule:

First March 15-16
Second March 19-20
Quarterfinals March 22-23
Semifinals March 29
Championship March 31

Back