• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Year 2022. Superbowl Winner: Kansas City Chiefs!

Probably smart to take a QB at 20 though when you have a clear need, this will probably be the last draft for at least a decade (if not longer) where the #1 QB would still be on the board at that point.

And also when you're a franchise that is rarely if ever picking in the top 10

Eagles have invested a 1st round pick in a WR for three straight years. They weren't top 5 picks, so not Millen-esque just yet, but there is at least one total bust in there (Reagor).

He and Hollywood are close. But Hollywood never lived up to his draft position and demanded a trade per Ravens GM

Probably smart to take a QB at 20 though when you have a clear need, this will probably be the last draft for at least a decade (if not longer) where the #1 QB would still be on the board at that point.

And also when you're a franchise that is rarely if ever picking in the top 10

Would have been smarter to draft a good qb.

The Pats pick was Strange to say the least. Karlaftis was right there, and they skipped him. And this probably means that Tom will not be a Patriot as well. Don't know how I feel about Sean McVeigh laughing at the Patriots pick.

Seems like GM Belichick is still trying to get coach Belichick fired

Howie had to deal. He can't help himself. Traded the 15th pick plus a forth and two fifths to move to 13 and then drafts an O-line guy?

Also trades #18 plus a third round pick for a wide receiver. Still trying to fix past years of mistakes. Eagles need competent NFL level players at a lot of spots. That third should produce one - for the Titans.

A.J. Brown is a top-eight receiver in the league and very likely to be substantially better than anyone drafted at 15 or 101.

I went back 10 years, and here are the players selected at those respective spots:
2012- Bruce Irvin, Omar Bolden
2013- Kenny Vaccaro, Ace Sanders
2014- Ryan Shazier, Jaylen Watkins
2015- Melvin Gordon, Trey Flowers
2016- Corey Coleman, Charles Tapper
2017- Malik Hooker, Brendan Langley
2018- Kolton Miller, Ian Thomas
2019- Dwayne Haskins, Yodny Cajuste
2020- Jerry Jeudy, Dalton Keene
2021- Mac Jones, Ifeatu Melifonwu

It's obviously too early to judge the last two classes, but among the rest, 2015 is the only one you could remotely argue returns better value than Brown, and that seems like a stretch. PFR wAV for Gordon is 48, Flowers is 34, and Brown is already at 30. Gordon is entrenched as a 1B RBBC and just turned 29. Flowers has played 14 games and accumulated 3.5 sacks in the last two years combined. Brown turns 25 this summer and is a proven talent. The only questions are 1. whether he can stay health, or if missing 3-4 games a year is the norm, and 2. Whether Philly will let Hurts pass enough, or whether he's capable of passing well enough, to utilize him. If nothing else, you've put yourself in a position, similar to Miami, where your QB doesn't have any excuses if he doesn't perform and you have no qualms about moving on next year.

The trade with the Texans was a head-scratcher, but the trade for Brown was tremendous value.

The trade with the Texans was a head-scratcher, but the trade for Brown was tremendous value.

If they got AJ Brown on the salaries of those rookie picks, sure. But you're leaving out the part where they also have to pay Brown $100 million to play with a questionable QB. There is significant history of overpaid WRs paired with bad QBs resulting in various forms of disaster. TN won this trade by a mile - they avoid Brown's deal in exchange for a highly rated, younger, much much cheaper replacement.

If they got AJ Brown on the salaries of those rookie picks, sure. But you're leaving out the part where they also have to pay Brown $100 million to play with a questionable QB. There is significant history of overpaid WRs paired with bad QBs resulting in various forms of disaster. TN won this trade by a mile - they avoid Brown's deal in exchange for a highly rated, younger, much much cheaper replacement.

I rest my case

A.J. Brown is a top-eight receiver in the league and very likely to be substantially better than anyone drafted at 15 or 101.

I went back 10 years, and here are the players selected at those respective spots:
2012- Bruce Irvin, Omar Bolden
2013- Kenny Vaccaro, Ace Sanders
2014- Ryan Shazier, Jaylen Watkins
2015- Melvin Gordon, Trey Flowers
2016- Corey Coleman, Charles Tapper
2017- Malik Hooker, Brendan Langley
2018- Kolton Miller, Ian Thomas
2019- Dwayne Haskins, Yodny Cajuste
2020- Jerry Jeudy, Dalton Keene
2021- Mac Jones, Ifeatu Melifonwu

It's obviously too early to judge the last two classes, but among the rest, 2015 is the only one you could remotely argue returns better value than Brown, and that seems like a stretch. PFR wAV for Gordon is 48, Flowers is 34, and Brown is already at 30. Gordon is entrenched as a 1B RBBC and just turned 29. Flowers has played 14 games and accumulated 3.5 sacks in the last two years combined. Brown turns 25 this summer and is a proven talent. The only questions are 1. whether he can stay health, or if missing 3-4 games a year is the norm, and 2. Whether Philly will let Hurts pass enough, or whether he's capable of passing well enough, to utilize him. If nothing else, you've put yourself in a position, similar to Miami, where your QB doesn't have any excuses if he doesn't perform and you have no qualms about moving on next year.

My saltiness on this was more about Howie using two picks this year to once again fix the bad wide receiver picks of last year, the year before, the year... A little about Brown's health.

The three picks to move two spots to get a guy who probably would have been there at 15 is so, so Howie. And why the Eagles will be mediocre for a while.

I don't think AJ Brown is a top 10 receiver. Probably around 12.

It's certainly debatable, but I'd rank them:

Davante (29)
Kupp (28)
Nuk (29)
Reek (28)
Diggs (28)
Jefferson (22)
Chase (22)
Brown (24)
Deebo (26)
Evans (28--how?)
Metcalf (24)

I'd like the trade for the Eagles more if we were closer to contention, and not in a perilous cap situation (though it might get better after next season? not sure). We still have a lot more to do, particularly on defense. Hurts looks like a fine game manager and mostly takes care of the ball, but he needs to show that he is able/willing to take advantage of his WRs talents. We did need another WR though, and independent of the rest of the team I like AJ Brown at that contract.

I'm with Lamar. Really not impressed with my Ravens 2 picks. Hamilton may be good, but we already have a good SS and just signed a FS to our biggest FA contract. How many safeties can you play in the game at the same time? Then they pick an undersized C who will have problems with big NTs. I get moving Hollywood because we want volunteers, not captives. But I don't get those 2 picks when we need 3 CBs, 2 edges, 2 DL and a mike. Meanwhile former Raven Joe Douglass absolutely killed it last night with Sauce, Wilson and Johnson.

That said, the only pick that made me happy last night was Pittsburgh taking Pickett. Pickett will scare no opponent.

I'm with Lamar. Really not impressed with my Ravens 2 picks. Hamilton may be good, but we already have a good SS and just signed a FS to our biggest FA contract. How many safeties can you play in the game at the same time? Then they pick an undersized C who will have problems with big NTs. I get moving Hollywood because we want volunteers, not captives. But I don't get those 2 picks when we need 3 CBs, 2 edges, 2 DL and a mike. Meanwhile former Raven Joe Douglass absolutely killed it last night with Sauce, Wilson and Johnson.

That said, the only pick that made me happy last night was Pittsburgh taking Pickett. Pickett will scare no opponent.

Funny because Joel Klatt on the herd just said that of his top three players he thought would have long and steady pro bowl type careers, two of them went to the ravens. But I wasn’t aware of team needs.

Back