• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Year 2022. Superbowl Winner: Kansas City Chiefs!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I really hope that I am....

But the article I read said that Watson will miss SIX of his $57,500 game checks for a total of $345,000 of his $1.035 million base salary.

He just signed the largest guaranteed contract in American Sports history at $230 million.

Was the $1.035 million part of his previous salary, and the $230 million was an extension after signing with Cleveland......or did they somehow fucking work into his contract a 1st year salary of $1.035 million when the 2023 and 2024 figures are $46 million and $44.965 million respectively?

I really hope they didn't make it so any suspension wouldn't cost him but a drop in the bucket...because that's despicable (one of many aspects of this case).

That is exactly what they did. Big signing bonus plus $1 million salary for 2022 season. Yes exactly designed to minimize the financial hit from suspension this year.

Yes, I believe they specifically structured it so that his first year salary was a million, precisely anticipating a year-long or almost year-long suspension. That’s another aspect of what I’d heard could have ticked off the NFL, because it’s blatant gamesmanship on the part of Watson and the Browns to protect him from any serious financial repercussions. Ideally the NFL would be ticked off about the abuse, but anyway.

Why would the NFL be ticked off about the abuse? They didn't do anything to Dan Snyder for engaging in similar and even worse behavior. And they're refusing to investigate the Texans for furnishing Watson with hotel rooms and NDAs for his liaisons. The only thing they care about is the perception that they don't care,

Why would the NFL be ticked off about the abuse? They didn't do anything to Dan Snyder for engaging in similar and even worse behavior. And they're refusing to investigate the Texans for furnishing Watson with hotel rooms and NDAs for his liaisons. The only thing they care about is the perception that they don't care,

Weren’t you pretty big on this being an extortion attempt by Busbee at first?

Weren’t you pretty big on this being an extortion attempt by Busbee at first?

Yes, at 1st because I didn't trust Buzbee and thought he colluded with Easterby or McNair as a way to get back at Watson. He lied out his ass about not knowing the McNairs and not knowing anything about football at that early presser. But after reading some of the accounts and looking at the number of them, Watson definitely engaged in some predatory and serial sexual harassment. He was smart enough to stop short of criminal conduct but was stupid to have done it when you can just pay for that kind of service like Kraft did. And I still think there is a good chance that there was some collusion with Easterby or McNair given that the team knew about his propensity for this conduct and was providing him with hotel rooms and NDAs. And I still don't care for either Buzbee or Hardin with some of the comments they've made.

But my point above is that the league really doesn't care about sexual harassment given that they won't investigate the Texans role in this conduct and when they won't take any action against Snyder. They're perfectly fine with it when ownership engages in wrongful conduct.

It's certainly possible that it started as getting back at Watson with a few accusers then blew up once more accusers came forward.

The Watson suspension reminded me that Ryan Smenda has to sit out the first half of the VMI game for a targeting call that wasn’t targeting. Roughly equivalent to 2 SAs.

That is exactly what they did. Big signing bonus plus $1 million salary for 2022 season. Yes exactly designed to minimize the financial hit from suspension this year.

The Browns structure all of their contracts this way. Minimum first year salaries with big bonuses. It's for salary cap purposes. Had nothing to do with the suspension.

The Browns structure all of their contracts this way. Minimum first year salaries with big bonuses. It's for salary cap purposes. Had nothing to do with the suspension.

Yes, because if anyone has proven to be successful salary cap gurus, it is the Cleveland Browns.

Yes, because if anyone has proven to be successful salary cap gurus, it is the Cleveland Browns.

Says the Giants fan. The Browns currently have a SB contending roster if they can keep Watson's suspension at only 6 games. They have a top 3 OL, a stable of solid backs and an above average D. Now that they've replaced a mediocre QB with a top 10 QB, they are dangerous.

The Rams, Steelers, Bengals, Giants, and Browns should all sign Cam Newton; either as a starter of backup.

The Rams, Steelers, Bengals, Giants, and Browns should all sign Cam Newton; either as a starter of backup.

Why? He doesn't have a backup's mentality, and his shoulder has ruined his throwing motion. It's sad, but he can no longer get it done. Besides, the Rams are happy with Wolford, Brissett is better than Cam at this point, the Giants are using this year as a referendum on Jones, and the Steelers need to see if either Pickett or Trubisky is starting material.

Says the Giants fan. The Browns currently have a SB contending roster if they can keep Watson's suspension at only 6 games. They have a top 3 OL, a stable of solid backs and an above average D. Now that they've replaced a mediocre QB with a top 10 QB, they are dangerous.

Maybe on paper, but the Browns are still the Browns until they prove otherwise. Case in point, they just got rid of the one guy who had brought them any ounce of success in the last 30+ years and replaced him with a suspended serial sex offender who may or may not even play with the roster you mention.

Maybe on paper, but the Browns are still the Browns until they prove otherwise. Case in point, they just got rid of the one guy who had brought them any ounce of success in the last 30+ years and replaced him with a suspended serial sex offender who may or may not even play with the roster you mention.

So you think they should have rather paid Mayfield $35-40mil per that he was asking for. They made the desperate move for Watson because Mayfield is worth nowhere near the asking price.

Or they could get an actual MVP on the team.

Cam is the equivalent of Johnny U with the Chargers in the early 70s. He's lost both his fastball and his accuracy. He's looked terrible the last 2 years. I liked Cam. But he's done unless he moves to TE or LB. I'm willing to bet he blocks better than Tebow.

Probably a better baseball player and on air commentator than Tebow too.

So you think they should have rather paid Mayfield $35-40mil per that he was asking for. They made the desperate move for Watson because Mayfield is worth nowhere near the asking price.

Asking price and getting price are completely different. And Watson isn't worth what they are paying him either, not even factoring in the off the field issues.

Asking price and getting price are completely different. And Watson isn't worth what they are paying him either, not even factoring in the off the field issues.

Yes, and the 2 sides were miles apart. As for Watson, he's probably not worth having for his off field issues, but he's a way better QB than Mayfield and also much better in the locker room. Mayfield is a bit of a cancer. The Panthers likely will be having similar conversations and negotiations starting this December.

Back