• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The ACC is Pretty Much Screwed

I think pretty much most schools in the Power 5 will end up being screwed eventually. I think one day we're going to see a super league of about 32 schools or so that break away and just hold their own natty competitions. It would obviously be driven almost entirely by football with a few college hoops blue bloods sprinkled in for good measure. If that happens the "have nots" of the Power 5 will effectively be done. Something along these lines -

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Ole Miss
South Carolina
Tennessee
aTm

Clemson
Florida State
Miami
Notre Dame
UNC
Va Tech

Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin

Kansas (an abject joke in football)
Oklahoma
Texas

Arizona
Oregon
UCLA
USC
Washington

The above list includes the 25 most "valuable" college football teams plus seven adds largely based on the size/location of the school and the appeal of their basketball programs. Quibble around the edges. But something along those lines with four 8 team divisions and then an 8 team playoff. A giant sucking sound of all college sports money going to these schools.
Everyone else is left behind.

This evergreen ass post that gets trotted out every six months for the last 15 years anytime there is conference expansion news. Nevertheless the DEACS persist. This pessimistic shit may happen in the future, it may not. Either way I’m going to enjoy the hell out of the next few years of Wake sports.

The best part of that post is we only play two of those teams every year anyway so it’s not like our schedule would change much.

Not to play into this. Because I'm not convinced it's ever going to be a reality. But. I spent six years in an ivy league town. And man. Sports at that level can be a lot of fun. I loved watching the dartmouth big Green in all sorts of things. If you love the Deacons, then you'll watch them whether it's unc. Or vanderbilt. It's our crew. And we'll support them either way.

Sounds like the Notre Dame AD just told us we are dumbass suckers for the loyalty and support we showed them during the COVID year. He is ready to change conference as soon as it is feasible.

So I decided to do something crazy and I actually read the article.

In a wide-ranging interview with SI, the only athletic director who is part of the College Football Playoff Management Committee said the fracture lines within the 130-member FBS could leave two disparate approaches: schools that still operate athletics within a traditional educational structure, and those who tie sports to the university in name only.

Should the schism come, Notre Dame would be among those that still tied its athletics to the educational mission of the school and answered to its president and academic administration. Others could essentially be spun off while retaining the school name and branding. A theoretical example (not proffered by Swarbrick): Oregon Ducks Athletics, Inc.

So ND would probably stay independent in football and stick with whatever schools are left in the ACC.

I'm not sure what he's saying here:

With the NCAA looking increasingly to Congress to create uniform NIL legislation, Swarbrick would like to see the politicians work through the already existing framework of the 1978 Amateur Sports Act.

“The Olympic system then was every bit as broken as collegiate sports is now,” Swarbrick said. “Use that bill as the vehicle. Just amend it to address some of the key issues here, and by doing so protect the Olympic sports.”

But the lawmakers Swarbrick has spoken to aren’t overly receptive to the idea, and some of them seem less hopeful than NCAA members that Congress will perform an intervention.

“I was talking to a Republican senator and he said to me, ‘I keep reading that you all say we’ll finally be able to get something done when Republicans get control of the house and the senate and the presidency,’ “ Swarbrick said. “But it’s going to be a much more Libertarian Congress. They’re going to be unwilling to participate just on anti-regulatory grounds.

Last edited:
Conferences historically have been cyclical beings, reacting to numerous things, including certainly economic factors. The Southern Conf used to be 30+ teams, that the ACC birthed out of for several reasons. Tobacco Road was solidified then as its center.

In Division 1 with Marshall and Memphis. Suck it, Cuse and Duke, you Division 2 loosers!!!!

Not sure would matter. The only thing they care about is revenue.

What they care about is winning.

It's not the revenue per se. It's what the revenue buys. Coaches, facilities, and players. Those lead to winning.

Not to play into this. Because I'm not convinced it's ever going to be a reality. But. I spent six years in an ivy league town. And man. Sports at that level can be a lot of fun. I loved watching the dartmouth big Green in all sorts of things. If you love the Deacons, then you'll watch them whether it's unc. Or vanderbilt. It's our crew. And we'll support them either way.

This is where I am. It's sort of like going to BOA to watch the Rolling Stones or The Orange Peel to see The Wood Brothers. One is clearly more "big-time" and more accomplished, but you can have a great experience and be fully invested in either. I'm fine either way; in fact more inclined to a dialed-back approach if it gets to the point that the only connection the players have to the university is the name on the front of the jersey (and fully realize that may already be the case in some places, particularly one-and-done basketball programs).

The programs that would be forming the superconference.

I wonder if they realize that if those teams only play each other, the overall net record for a season is .500. For every win, another team gets a loss. For every team with 0 or 1 loss, there will be teams with very few wins.

This is where I am. It's sort of like going to BOA to watch the Rolling Stones or The Orange Peel to see The Wood Brothers. One is clearly more "big-time" and more accomplished, but you can have a great experience and be fully invested in either. I'm fine either way; in fact more inclined to a dialed-back approach if it gets to the point that the only connection the players have to the university is the name on the front of the jersey (and fully realize that may already be the case in some places, particularly one-and-done basketball programs).

well if you like the Wood Brothers, they just announced a show at Salvage Station in Aug opening for Greensky Bluegrass

Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we say it is....

What the f*** to the Deac fanbase that I used to know?

We could fight them with conventional weapons, but that would take years and cost millions of lives...

Back