• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The ACC is Pretty Much Screwed

So like a Letter to the Editor ? I can assure you that the general consensus of USC fans is not to leave the SEC and your continued slurring of that program, it's students, and its alumni along with your thinly veiled love for their ACC counterparts from South Carolina is not unnoticed.

Who cares? NotCarolina/NotUSC sucks ass and brings nothing to the table athletically outside of Dawn Staley.

Expand and bring in a team or two. That alone would allow us to renegotiate our deal with ESPN. And I could give two shits about academic reputations of member schools because it doesn't pay the bills and does not affect my degree.

Last edited:
Feels like all this talk is going to lead to something happening, but I haven't seen an explanation of who would benefit from a "super conference" or how a split from the NCAA would benefit P5 programs aside from establishing firm NIL rules. What would a super conference even mean? NFL style divisions and schedule? Would SEC schools in a super conference be able to play FCS schools before their rivalry week?

Feels like all this talk is going to lead to something happening, but I haven't seen an explanation of who would benefit from a "super conference" or how a split from the NCAA would benefit P5 programs aside from establishing firm NIL rules. What would a super conference even mean? NFL style divisions and schedule? Would SEC schools in a super conference be able to play FCS schools before their rivalry week?

It’s short sighted like most things are when a huge amount of money is possible.

It’s short sighted like most things are when a huge amount of money is possible.

Yeah. Seems like they're ready to risk a shit ton of money to try to make $hit ton$ of money that may not be there. I know we're all big into sports and there's a lot of money in college football and the NFL, but the whole thing still seems like a delicate house of cards that could collapse at any moment. And it could be any number of things that could do it. Lost of regional rivalries, fan rebellion like what happened with the whole soccer super league debacle, anti-Disney backlash, concern about concussions, losing the battle with streaming and internet alternative entertainment, who knows. It seems like they'd be better off nurturing interest rather than risking it.

The lamenting over the money that the Big 10 and SEC schools haul in hasn't resulted in dominance in football and basketball from the Big 10. You think it would reflect in on the field or on the court success at some point, but no. The Big 10 has won ONE national title in either football or basketball since 2002 -- Ohio State football 2014. That is horrendous (during that same time frame the ACC has won 10 -- by six different schools), and teams from the Big 10 conference regularly disappoint in the football playoff and the NCAA Tourney. Wow, so, all of the Big 10 schools have a ton of cash and have essentially wasted it on a mediocre product. Congrats. What other benefits have those schools reaped from conference money? Certainly, don't see Indiana, Illlinois or Purdue as more attractive schools now.

Obviously, the SEC has dominated football, but even the scope of success is limited as yes, South Carolina, Missouri, Ole Miss, Miss State among every other school not named Bama and UGA may ride the SEC gravy train, but those schools aren't close to competing for national championship in either of the marquis sports, and again, none of those schools has raised their reputation as "it" places. All of that money certainly has not resulted in SEC being anything other than a top-heavy conference, with two dominant programs, and then everyone else churning through unsuccessful coaching hires. Again, how have the SEC rank and file schools improved themselves from all of that SEC cash? Just don't see lots of out of state kids climbing over themselves to go to Miss. State or Arkansas.

I get why ADs like Swarbrick wish that they had bigger budgets so they would have more money to waste on smoothie markers and putt-putt golf courses, but as "amazing" as the money has been, it doesn't seem like it has resulted in a better product overall, healthier competition within the conference or a rise in prominence of the schools that lose to Bama and UGA every year. Yes, Bama is an absolutely elite program, but they were elite long before there was an SEC Network, and the resulting cash. If the money was such a difference-maker, then the FBS playoff next year should look something like Tennessee v. Nebraska and Arkansas v. Penn State. It won't. It will be Bama, Clemson, tOSU and maybe UGA or a random team from the Big 12. tOSU will lose big in the semis, and Bama will beat Clemson in the final.

Last edited:
Good post, Pilch. Much of the SEC and Big Ten hype/panic is a self-fulfilling prophecy. College football is set up that the SEC and Big Ten succeed (see the scheduling of NY6 bowls, for example) so people assume the SEC and Big Ten are just destroying everyone else.

100% agree with both of these previous statements. Throw in preseason rankings too to keep the self-fulfilling prophecies alive.

BTW, I honestly think that Clemson is headed in the wrong direction and Dabo will be gone in five years unless he finds amazing replacements for coordinators, recruits another Trevor Lawrence, and figures out how to use the portal to his benefit. So the ACC's current marquee program is going to come back to the pack and the ACC is not getting a two-loss champion with a shitty SOS into the CFP.

This is my Freezing Cold Take and I stand by it.

Maryland says "Doesn't matter. Got paid."

Exactly and they get paid quite a bit more being in Big Ten. Plus except for a few years of great games with Gary vs K in basketball, whoever remembers rivalry stuff with MD? Don’t miss them a bit.

Good post, Pilch. Much of the SEC and Big Ten hype/panic is a self-fulfilling prophecy. College football is set up that the SEC and Big Ten succeed (see the scheduling of NY6 bowls, for example) so people assume the SEC and Big Ten are just destroying everyone else.

Hard to see Big Ten dominating in football just because they play in the cold. If you follow the history of the change in population from the North to the SunBelt, you see the same basic thing in college football dominance. Except for Ohio State, most all the dominant teams year after year are in the South.

We should do something crazy to boost our Football and Basketball pedigree at the same time.

Thinking outside of the box, and I have no idea how scheduling/divisions/etc etc etc would work, but what if it was possible that we added Baylor, Kansas, and Villanova? All 3 could increase our strength as a basketball conference with multiple National Championships in basketball added. Villanova would still compete in FCS for football, and Kansas and Baylor would be added to the football conference.

That would take football to 16 Official Members:

Baylor
Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Kansas
Louisville
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

And add in Notre Dame and Villanova to get to 18 Official Basketball member schools.

If there was any way that was possible, I'd love that. But I know this will be dissed, shot down, torn apart, or whatever....and I know by whom, but it's just an outside-of-the-box "what if..." dream scenario.

:noidea:

Last edited:
Honestly Pickle, that’s better than any other expansion idea I’ve seen.

I really don’t want Baylor based on their extremely conservative stance (I’ve had friends even asked about their church membership and sexual orientation in interviews) but I’ll take whatever saves the ACC at this point.

Baylor is super weird and religious. deacdixie, your friends were underselling it. They require a religious statement in the second round, before a candidate even gets to interview.

Back