• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The ACC is Pretty Much Screwed

Not really sure how the NCAA, the conferences or even school's individually can enforce a salary cap. The money isn't being paid by the schools, but by third parties. The Supreme Court has already ruled that the NCAA can't keep athletes from profiting off their own name, image and likeness. So, how can the NCAA, a school or conference, possibly keep a Texas oil mogul from paying a Texas A&M football recruit for promoting the mogul's business? On top of that, there is no possibility of a collective bargaining agreement between the athletes and schools as that would require that the athletes unionize or otherwise agree to give up their individual rights to allow their collective rights to be negotiated as a whole. Don't see that ever happening.

The factors that will keep NCAA sports semi-competitive are:

- Scholarship limits (there are a lot of great athletes and not that many available slots)
- Playing time (Doesn't matter how much money is available, players aren't going to take money to sit, when they can play somewhere else)

That won't make the distribution of the best athletes even as the very elite athletes will go to the programs offering the best NIL deals, there are enough other athletes to keep programs that evaluate better and coach better competitive. The dream of WF landing 5 star football recruits or top 10 basketball recruits is unlikely to be realized in the NIL world, but WF never swam in that pool anyway.

SEC legitimacy depends on actually beating other teams. If they decide to secede, it could just turn into a regional conference.

Ha! 12 of last 16 champs are from SEC with only Clemson (twice), FSU (a non factor now) and OSU interrupting their string.
They can have their own 8 team conference tournament finishing around NY’s Day then play whoever the Alliance wants to throw at them. (Which hasn’t been much of late & nobody out of PAC). Plus now you are bringing in Texas & OK so that gives them most of the big boys people pay to watch at 3:30 on Saturdays! Thus their coming huge TV contract which is dwarfing the ACC’s total sports package on ESPN for all sports put together.

Don’t forget the SEC has played themselves for a couple recent title games.

Ha! 12 of last 16 champs are from SEC with only Clemson (twice), FSU (a non factor now) and OSU interrupting their string.
They can have their own 8 team conference tournament finishing around NY’s Day then play whoever the Alliance wants to throw at them. (Which hasn’t been much of late & nobody out of PAC). Plus now you are bringing in Texas & OK so that gives them most of the big boys people pay to watch at 3:30 on Saturdays! Thus their coming huge TV contract which is dwarfing the ACC’s total sports package on ESPN for all sports put together.

Don’t forget the SEC has played themselves for a couple recent title games.

8 team conference tournament? There are 4-5 schools worth a damn in football in the SEC. No one cares.

We are at a point where good coaches like Dave Clawson and Steve Forbes, really good, are going to lose games to teams like FSU and UNC based in part on NIL.

Feels like an uphill battle for Wake Forest and despite my desire to see equity and fairness for the athletes, a sham for college athletics.

Not sustainable.

Ha! SEC could pull out of all things BCS and have their own college football 8-team playoff culminating with a New Year’s title game and the rest of the so-called Alliance is screwed.

Will they take you with them?

We are at a point where good coaches like Dave Clawson and Steve Forbes, really good, are going to lose games to teams like FSU and UNC based in part on NIL.

Feels like an uphill battle for Wake Forest and despite my desire to see equity and fairness for the athletes, a sham for college athletics.

Not sustainable.

how about wait until the games are actually played and see what happens?

Our good coaches have lost games to FSU and NC State before the days of NIL too.

Not sustainable.

It's a shame that teams with more resources will now win more games than teams with less resources. What have we allowed NIL to do to the integrity of college sports?

It's a shame that teams with more resources will now win more games than teams with less resources. What have we allowed NIL to do to the integrity of college sports?

I had to get in a time machine for this one.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Always nice to see the reff try to pull rank based on his bandwagon fandom of the most forgettable SEC school. At least biff’s bandwagon team won something other than radio presents.

When Duke and UNC advanced to the Final 4, don't remember WF fans claiming false superiority because the ACC outperformed expectations in the NCAAT. Naturally, WF fans loathed the Duke and UNC success and agonized over our own late-season failures. Instead, fans of wannabe SEC programs like S. Carolina, act like they accomplished something because UGA and Bama are good as always. So weird to me that S. Carolina barely outperforms Vandy every year, yet reff tries to grab a piece of SEC glory because of his connection to the also-ran Gamecocks (Clemson has outscored the Cocks 68-3 the last two times they played).

The Arkansas-Mississippi State round 1 match-up to determine the SEC National Champion gonna be awesome

The Arkansas-Mississippi State round 1 match-up to determine the SEC National Champion gonna be awesome

Just as great as the Tennessee/UofSC matchup on the other side. Wowsers. Talk about superiority.

I hope the SEC does this. Perfectly happy to follow the plan of the Alliance Presidents.

Just as great as the Tennessee/UofSC matchup on the other side. Wowsers. Talk about superiority.

Nope. Don't see SC qualifying for the 8 team SEC Football tourney. Even if they expanded to 12, the Cocks would likely miss out.

When Duke and UNC advanced to the Final 4, don't remember WF fans claiming false superiority because the ACC outperformed expectations in the NCAAT. Naturally, WF fans loathed the Duke and UNC success and agonized over our own late-season failures. Instead, fans of wannabe SEC programs like S. Carolina, act like they accomplished something because UGA and Bama are good as always. So weird to me that S. Carolina barely outperforms Vandy every year, yet reff tries to grab a piece of SEC glory because of his connection to the also-ran Gamecocks (Clemson has outscored the Cocks 68-3 the last two times they played).

It's weird to me. I don't understand fans of a conference. I hate everyone else in the ACC more than almost any other team. I understand the financial ramifications. I also wonder if fan interest remains inflated after another decade of Bama, LSU, and UGA trading titles having to just go through fewer teams to do it.

LSU?

SEC fans seem to know they’re riding conference rep, specifically the success of Bama, in recruiting, preseason rankings, in-season rankings, and bowl spots. So they root accordingly.

Fans of ACC teams should root for ACC teams in order to get some of those same benefits immediately and down the road. ACC teams losing noncon games especially to ND and SEC teams doesn’t help Wake.

LSU?

SEC fans seem to know they’re riding conference rep, specifically the success of Bama, in recruiting, preseason rankings, in-season rankings, and bowl spots. So they root accordingly.

Fans of ACC teams should root for ACC teams in order to get some of those same benefits immediately and down the road. ACC teams losing noncon games especially to ND and SEC teams doesn’t help Wake.

That all makes perfect sense. If Clemson and NC State run the table except for losing to WF, that helps WF. No doubt.

What makes the SEC thing weird is not that S. Carolina or Tennessee fans understand the benefit of SEC doing well in OOC games to help their own cause in trying to get recognition, ranked or into a better bowl, the weird thing is how fans of other SEC schools seem to feel a part of Bama's success. Bama is good because they have a Hall of Fame coach and seemingly endless supply of future NFL studs. Bama's success has nothing to do with S. Carolina; S. Carolina has no claim and should get no shine because Bama wins a national championship. S. Carolina blows whether they are in the SEC, ACC or AAC. They are just a place holder in that conference when it comes to football.

If Duke is great in basketball, I will use that argument to claim that WF should get an NCAA bid if WF beat Duke and WF is on the bubble, but WF should never seek or claim credit if Duke wins a Natty in basketball. They are the enemy.

Back