• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The ACC is Pretty Much Screwed

Biff Tannen

Franchise Quarterback on a Rookie Contract
Staff Member
Reaction score
This grant of rights deal will be the undoing of the ACC. Thanks Swofford. If these projections hold true, the ACC and its member institutions will not be able to keep up with their SEC brethren financially. Ultimately, the ACC and B1G will widen the gap on procuring the best coaches and best players and widen the gap in the facilities race across all sports. And then, the ACC will break apart as the biggest brands will have to make a decision between tradition and viability. This doesn't even take into account NIL or the inexorable march towards eventually paying players, which will further hamstring a league that pays out less than half of what its largest competitor does.

So, there's really no way Notre Dame is joining the ACC.

You’re assuming that the Big 10 and SEC will take these schools. My thought is that they won’t. ESPN will also prop up the ACC since they have a stake in it.

BTW these numbers also never take March Madness into account. Heather Dinich is the only one pointing this out. She claims that with March Madness the ACC (in most years…not this year) destroys the other conferences in revenue and actually gets pretty close to the top 2.

BTW these numbers also never take March Madness into account. Heather Dinich is the only one pointing this out. She claims that with March Madness the ACC (in most years…not this year) destroys the other conferences in revenue and actually gets pretty close to the top 2.

Doesn't that assume that the conferences break away and start their own tourney? All of the TV money now goes to the NCAA, right?

The last bullet point on the list above says these projections DO include NCAA units (Men's Basketball tournament payouts), so not sure why Dinich is claiming otherwise.

The last bullet point on the list above says these projections DO include NCAA units (Men's Basketball tournament payouts), so not sure why Dinich is claiming otherwise.

Good call. So maybe this is accurate.
I will add that the RSN/Bally agreement is up in 2 years I believe. That will add a lot of product to a higher bidder.

You’re assuming that the Big 10 and SEC will take these schools. My thought is that they won’t. ESPN will also prop up the ACC since they have a stake in it.

ESPN's not going to prop up the ACC or any other league. They're only going to pay what the grant in rights is worth.

i'm usually an optimist, but unfortunately i think the grim reality is that the most likely outcome is that wake (along with a few other ACC schools) ends up on the outside looking in once the implications of this all come to pass.

which was honestly inevitable -- we lucked out as much as almost any other school being a charter member of the acc despite not really pulling in much money for the conference, few schools benefited more from "the system" than us, imo.

that said, the new commissioner is supposed to be pretty strong -- hopefully he can pull some magic to keep us viable.

There's still a way to head off the eminent collapse of the ACC and Wake Forest sports though. Since Wake is such a great school and we're all so smart and have great jobs, WE can make up the annual funding gap.

First, build an on campus arena. Then the rest of the model should become obvious.

The only way that we can renegotiate terms is by adding schools so it seems pretty imperative that we do that.

Oh well, guess Biff can just join the UGA message board then. See you later.

I'm trying to get you to step up to the plate to bridge the $50 million funding gap.

The only way that we can renegotiate terms is by adding schools so it seems pretty imperative that we do that.

is there room to negotiate or does our deal just reflect the reality of acc demand? because i can't think of any realistic schools that would add enough value to offset the dilution of adding another school.

college sports as is should probably die anyways

Should, and I think it eventually will. And I'm fine with that from a Wake perspective. The whole NIL thing will leave programs like Wake on the outside looking in, while the UNC's of the world that don't care a whit about academic or institutional integrity will (now legally) shovel $$ to guys who will either be one-and-dones, or if not NBA/NFL-caliber, can hang around a few more years and make good bank thru NIL handouts. And I'm fine with players making as much money as they can off their image or whatever, but the further that relationship gets from the student/athlete model, the less interest I'll have in it from a fan perspective.

Back