• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

We didn't screw ourselves. We got screwed. The ACC is shit marketing campaign by the SEC and Big Shit started with football and carried right over to hoops. Should be priority number one in league meetings to get the counter plan. It's a fucking problem. The proof is in the final four. Our League just lies back and takes this shit. SEC been doing it for years in football. Now the Big Shit does it too and in two sports.

Second this. I'm through being gaslit that it was our fault. F that S. We were ROBBED. Lazy, corrupt committee suckas.

We didn't screw ourselves. We got screwed. The ACC is shit marketing campaign by the SEC and Big Shit started with football and carried right over to hoops. Should be priority number one in league meetings to get the counter plan. It's a fucking problem. The proof is in the final four. Our League just lies back and takes this shit. SEC been doing it for years in football. Now the Big Shit does it too and in two sports.

Forbes took a gamble that we could pile up wins in the non-conference and then boost our Quad 1 wins in the ACC. That gamble did not pay off and he's acknowledged it in various interviews over the last couple of weeks. I'd expect next year's OOC schedule to look a lot different.

I agree that we should have made the tourney based on our resume. But losing to Miami at home was brutal, and then the BC loss in the ACC Tourney made it super easy to justify a snub. Throw in VT winning the ACC and we were NIT bound.

So yeah, we were "screwed"... But we also shit the bed at times. Bad combo.

Too predictable and boring. My man wants to get out on his own and be part of something special and shock the world.

Too predictable and boring. My man wants to get out on his own and be part of something special and shock the world.

exactly.

let's goooooooooooooooooooooooooo

that pilch is convinced only strengthens my convictions

Is there any player in the portal who hasn't heard from Wake?

Reminds me of how Wake “offered” like every top 150 guy under Manning.

Except in this case folks might listen to a pitch from Forbes

office-900x600.jpg

Really don't see how we'll be worse off with TOs with Monsanto replacing ManMan. He's less ball reliant and a good passer -- no true distributor on the team, but the ball might move quicker? A healthy Monsanto would have been 3rd option last year. If LaRavia comes back a LaRavia/Monsanto top 2 will be trouble for a lot of folks. Would take Walton back first, then Williamson, then Mucius (though would take them all). If everyone comes back I think we're top 5 in the conference again, at least. It would be an old, experienced, deep team. TOs and rebounding would still be issues, but I think we'd be pretty good.

If you took a lineup and just replaced ManMan with Monsanto, you'd have one of the worst ball-handling teams in ACC history which I would suspect is pretty tightly correlated with turnovers.

I think it's pretty apparent that teams realized lack of ball-handling was a weakness this year which led us to face really aggressive defensive play -- I think we badly need to add multiple ball-handlers. If LaRavia returns and tightens his handle a bit and we had a good PG, I think you could get away with [PG], Williams, LaRavia, Hildreth.

I'll summarize my assessment in a different post, but I think we will miss Williams a ton more than people are giving credit for, and I think the rest of our role players are a pretty miscast bunch. Williams really made everything work because of his pretty unique ability to 1/ make something out of nothing, 2/ be effective an effective rebounder and 3/ play huge minutes.

If you took a lineup and just replaced ManMan with Monsanto, you'd have one of the worst ball-handling teams in ACC history which I would suspect is pretty tightly correlated with turnovers.

I think it's pretty apparent that teams realized lack of ball-handling was a weakness this year which led us to face really aggressive defensive play -- I think we badly need to add multiple ball-handlers. If LaRavia returns and tightens his handle a bit and we had a good PG, I think you could get away with [PG], Williams, LaRavia, Hildreth.

I'll summarize my assessment in a different post, but I think we will miss Williams a ton more than people are giving credit for, and I think the rest of our role players are a pretty miscast bunch. Williams really made everything work because of his pretty unique ability to 1/ make something out of nothing, 2/ be effective an effective rebounder and 3/ play huge minutes.

The words left out: he is an amazing passer.

WFU Men's Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction Thread - Player Meetings This Week?

I think our offense is going to look a lot different when entire defenses aren’t parked in the lane trying to stop Alondes from getting to the rim. As much as I love Manman, he shot 3-30 from deep to end the season which clogged up the lane and made it tougher for anyone else to get points inside. It essentially left Davien to hover around hoping for someone to set him up, hurt Jake’s ability to cut, and took away a lot of Zay’s inside game. Im not saying we’ll have a better offense without Manman, but it will certainly be different.

Last edited:
Parker Stewart (from Indiana, by way of Tennessee Tech, by way of Pittsburgh) is in the transfer portal yet again.

He entered the portal last year at Indiana before ever playing a game when they had the coaching change, but changed his mind.

Some of the movement earlier in his career had to do with the health of his father (who ultimately passed away)... Not sure if he'd be a target, but he can most definitely shoot the 3.

He's basically Charlie Moore (going on his 4th school).

Fair. Prob right. I love ManMan and definitely don't think we'll be better, but still think we could be pretty good. Guess I was thinking we'd miss the rest of his contributions moreso than see a jump in TOs, which were still pretty bad, I just don't see them getting THAT much worse, but it could def be a snowballing knock on effect, beats me.

Parker Stewart (from Indiana, by way of Tennessee Tech, by way of Pittsburgh) is in the transfer portal yet again.

He entered the portal last year at Indiana before ever playing a game when they had the coaching change, but changed his mind.

Some of the movement earlier in his career had to do with the health of his father (who ultimately passed away)... Not sure if he'd be a target, but he can most definitely shoot the 3.

He's basically Charlie Moore (going on his 4th school).

Will he need to sit a year? (Only one "no sit" transfer during undergrad career.) Or will he graduate from college this spring/summer?

The words left out: he is an amazing passer.

Should have made it more clear, but that's part of what I was referring to by saying "make something out of nothing."

But I think it's a bit beyond that -- none of the guys who are eligible to return have really shown the ability to make their own shot or create for others "from scratch" -- LaRavia can a bit with his spin moves / back to the basket game and Monsanto can get threes up, but nobody can really create off the bounce or be an affective lead guy in the pick and roll.

And then the other weird thing we have are dudes who aren't neither good rebounders nor passable ball handlers in Walton and Mucius. I'm actually really excited about Monsanto in part because of his ability to grab boards which is sorely needed.

But basically my point is you can play so many of these useful, but limited role players. With someone like ManMan, you could get away with playing two, sometimes three on the court at a time. Without a special player like that, I think it can be tough to play more than one at a time or you end up with some major deficiencies. In conclusion, we need to go get some high-caliber players from the portal who can bring out the best in our role players.

Back