• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

Has started 36 games in his career and only averages 4.8ppg and 2.8rpg ugh

Looking at the stretch 4 role. He can really shoot the three..high percentage shooter. Went off in the tourney against Michigan. Forbes seems to have a great eye for what he wants for his offense. I'll trust him till proven otherwise

This. The portal is a short term fix. The longer term fix is good high school players.

Is it though? Elite HS players take years of recruiting effort and the best play one year. Portal kids take one year of recruiting effort and leave after a year. I’m not saying we wouldn’t be better with 5* freshmen, but I wouldn’t say it’s automatically a better way to go in the dying days of CBB.

Looking at the stretch 4 role. He can really shoot the three..high percentage shooter. Went off in the tourney against Michigan. Forbes seems to have a great eye for what he wants for his offense. I'll trust him till proven otherwise

his skill set does seem to marry with the Forbes history of very good to great shooting teams (this involves both being good shooters and getting good shots)

WF set program records for 2-point percentage and effective FG% this year, and ETSU did the same under Forbes

Just to close the loop on a few things:

Justice Hill followed Matt McMahon to LSU
Ty & Ledarrius Brewer (ETSU) are headed to UAB

Also, Earl Timberlake, who transferred last year from Miami to Memphis, is back in the portal again.

Does Jake have to sit out a year if he goes to another school?

That's what I read from this. He says retain "college eligibility" rather than "return to Wake Forest."

Can't blame the guy for wanting to go to a winner and one with real excitement in its home. It's not like we were his college in the old fashioned traditional sense. We rented him for the year.

That's what I read from this. He says retain "college eligibility" rather than "return to Wake Forest."

Can't blame the guy for wanting to go to a winner and one with real excitement in its home. It's not like we were his college in the old fashioned traditional sense. We rented him for the year.

I think his main goal is to play in a smaller arena.

I think if you graduate then you get another free transfer as a grad student but if you have not graduated then you would have to sit out after your second transfer. I highly doubt that Jake will graduate in spring considering how tight WFU is with transfer credits .

there are rules, and there are exceptions in situations of family members' health, etc., so who knows.

however, I expect him to just go into the draft and hope for an early second-round pick (no inside information, just my guess)

He could have experienced the real excitement of the NCAA Tournament this season if he had not played like absolute trash at Clemson. We also would have won a couple of other games, Miami and Duke standing out the most, if he had been more assertive on offense, and I mean that as a compliment. He was an absolute beast in some of our losses, and I wish he had shot more.

I think if you graduate then you get another free transfer as a grad student but if you have not graduated then you would have to sit out after your second transfer. I highly doubt that Jake will graduate in spring considering how tight WFU is with transfer credits .

Jake is not transferring - he is either going pro or coming back.

For whatever reason, DR has reduced himself to reflexively trolling the WF fanbase. Some weird self-loathing going on.

For whatever reason, DR has reduced himself to reflexively trolling the WF fanbase. Some weird self-loathing going on.

It's the most obvious defense mechanism in the world, other than like a puffer fish or something.

Is it though? Elite HS players take years of recruiting effort and the best play one year. Portal kids take one year of recruiting effort and leave after a year. I’m not saying we wouldn’t be better with 5* freshmen, but I wouldn’t say it’s automatically a better way to go in the dying days of CBB.

Wake hasn't and shouldn't pursue likely one and done players. The relevant HS comparisons are 3 and 4 star kids who in most cases won't leave for the pros for three years. Of course, they could transfer after one year.

With all due respect, WF hasn't pursued many one and done players because we have had no shot to land them. When WF does have a shot (Harry Giles), WF does go all-in. Hate to break the news, but if WF had a shot to land Paolo Banchero last year, Forbes would have been all over him, and justifiably so. Has to be interest on the recruit's part for a school to push hard for him.

Wake hasn't and shouldn't pursue likely one and done players. The relevant HS comparisons are 3 and 4 star kids who in most cases won't leave for the pros for three years. Of course, they could transfer after one year.

I don't think it's as much an issue with "could" as "would". Them's the breaks now. If a kid thinks they have a shot at the NBA (whether or not, that's true), then they will pursue the avenues that get them there as quickly as possible. Any successful programs will be a revolving door of talent one way or the other.

This is a good quote to get out there. Sends a message to the current team, recruits, and the transfer portal that Coach Forbes has your best interests in mind.

Seems slightly better than the last coaching staff which seemed to engender a "probably not getting drafted but I'm getting the fuck away from here regardless" kind of attitude.

Back