• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

Think we will see announcements from the two DW’s over the next two days, followed by any transfer portal announcements.

Seems slightly better than the last coaching staff which seemed to engender a "probably not getting drafted but I'm getting the fuck away from here regardless" kind of attitude.

I think they had unrealistic expectations. There were rumors that one player thought he was going to be a first round pick when he wasn’t listed on any mocks.

Forbes has said that he expects to continue recruiting a mix of elite HS talent and elite players from the portal. He has also said he would prefer to have fewer to recruit in future seasons than he had to get for the 21-22 season.

Find the right mix of recruits and players from the portal is key to long term success. Forbes has proven he can find some elite players in the portal. Next is getting some quality high school recruits to mix with that and hopefully stick around.

Sucks that we may lose Jake but it has to help Forbes' recruiting pitch to potential transfers how successful this past transfer class was, both individually and collectively. I had never heard of Alondes or Jake before this season and both are being fairly consistently mocked in the mid-to-late 2nd round from what I've seen (if not higher), earned All-ACC honors, and one of them won all kinds of awards and plaudits no one could possibly have seen coming.

Looking at the stretch 4 role. He can really shoot the three..high percentage shooter. Went off in the tourney against Michigan. Forbes seems to have a great eye for what he wants for his offense. I'll trust him till proven otherwise
I watched quite a few CSU games, and other than going off from three in a few games, I don’t recollect him really being a factor in conference play, even though he started most games. He was not much of a rebounder, and knowing Medved’s ( who is a really good coach) emphasis on defense, I am guessing he was a defensive liability. CSU fans were sorry to lose him, but recognized he wasn’t a great fit there. Frankly I am skeptical about an underutilized player in the Mountain West having a role in the ACC— on the other hand he’s a local kid , who had a weak offer list, and may have something to prove.

Do we really think Laravia is going to go though? I just really don't. I mean it's smart to go test the waters and see what you need to up your stock, etc. But I just do not see him getting drafted at all, much less as a higher pick. I'm sure the NBA would love for him to come out, not get drafted, sign as a UFA and then develop on the cheap, and he would get paid that way in the short term. However, I really feel like what we will see happen is he goes through this testing phase and then comes back with the goal being continuing up next year into definitely being drafted. I'll be pretty surprised if he stays in the draft.

Last edited:
Remember this guy?

Give me Hayden Brown and Will Richard off my initial wishlist.

I'm betting we take 5 transfers.

Does anyone have any clue what's being offered to these guys from an NIL perspective? Or does WF (and its boosters) play that extremely close to the vest? Can't help but remember the cool Bob McReary video after a big win congratulating the team and saying "I'm going to start turning my resources to you guys". I'm not sure what additional facilities/upgrades we need in the program, other than DR Asbestos Victim Assistance Arena, so I'm hoping the big swinging dicks are going to start slinging some silly NIL cash around.

Does Jake have to sit out a year if he goes to another school?

That's what I read from this. He says retain "college eligibility" rather than "return to Wake Forest."

Can't blame the guy for wanting to go to a winner and one with real excitement in its home. It's not like we were his college in the old fashioned traditional sense. We rented him for the year.

Maybe, maybe he rented us. If so, we’d renew the lease in any event, wouldn’t we?

Do we know where James Graham might end up? Weird one since he decided to transfer in December, but I don't think I can find anything about possible landings.

Does anyone have any clue what's being offered to these guys from an NIL perspective? Or does WF (and its boosters) play that extremely close to the vest? Can't help but remember the cool Bob McReary video after a big win congratulating the team and saying "I'm going to start turning my resources to you guys". I'm not sure what additional facilities/upgrades we need in the program, other than DR Asbestos Victim Assistance Arena, so I'm hoping the big swinging dicks are going to start slinging some silly NIL cash around.
This is a great question that I've also wondered about. I've more or less been assuming none of our guys are (or have been) getting any NIL goodies, but would love to be corrected as they deserve it.

I was wondering the same thing. Part of NIL is going to be retaining the kids on the fence like Laravia. We may have the resources to do that, but we can't play with the big boys. We certainly can't play with the Texas A&M's of the world.

header.jpg

Official sponsor of the '22 Wake Forest Basketball Offseason

i’m not super knowledgeable about what’s going on broadly but from what i’ve gathered, our AD is a bit skeptical of NIL since the dollars are effectively coming from the same pool of dollars that could go towards other projects. i don’t necessarily disagree if the dollars are fungible (ie $10mm from mccreary might be better spent on facilities than a few NIL deals)

NIL probably works better when creating new value — sponsoring local businesses, media appearances, etc. i don’t think we have much going on that front just yet.

i’m not super knowledgeable about what’s going on broadly but from what i’ve gathered, our AD is a bit skeptical of NIL since the dollars are effectively coming from the same pool of dollars that could go towards other projects. i don’t necessarily disagree if the dollars are fungible (ie $10mm from mccreary might be better spent on facilities than a few NIL deals)

NIL probably works better when creating new value — sponsoring local businesses, media appearances, etc. i don’t think we have much going on that front just yet.

Well this is exactly what I was afraid of, and would put us at an even greater disadvantage compared to larger (or just more aggressive) programs. NIL has made paying players the wild wild west again, and we need to push the envelope as much as possible. Unless I end up making McReary bucks and can donate enough to have stuff named after me, I'd rather donate money for the purpose of paying players than just about anything else, including the DR Motorcycle Accident Assistance Arena.

I do not see any reason why either the player or the payer of the NIL would reveal what they were receiving or giving to the general public, so if there is no required reporting mechanism, I would not expect to hear anything definitive. Maybe rumor or speculation only.

From what I have heard, and it could be totally wrong, Duke is the leader among NC ACC schools at setting up NLI deals for its athletes (and I'm guessing that means basketball as that is they only sport of focus in Durham). Also, there is some NC legislation that makes it a little tougher for NC schools to assist in the payment of NLI money to its athletes. Understand that WF is taking steps to put the infrastructure in place to maximize NLI deals for WF athletes, but the process has been slower than some other schools. Please correct any of this as it has all come from second and third hand sources.

Last edited:
Back