• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

really tough to know -- i was surprised to see neath land at a power 5 school (looks like he had a dreadful season, although he did play real minutes). i think it's very plausible that a school could take a flyer on him based on his HS scouting report and under the reasonable theory that his confidence was shot and he could benefit from a change of scenario. i think his inability to shoot is going to continue to be a big issue for him, though.

If this had anything to do with him transferring, he definitely needs to go to a small mid-major without much basketball tradition. A couple dozen negative message board posts per game is nothing compared to what he'd receive from more rabid fanbases.

But anyways, I was not one who was hoping he'd transfer, and will be interested to see how his career plays out. I hope he can regain confidence somewhere and resurrect his career.

Couple of dozen message boards posts? There were lots of people openly shitting on a teenager on Twitter and Wake Forest sports Facebook groups for a couple weeks. I feel bad for the kid. I have no idea if it affected him, but it was definitely more pervasive than negative comments on this board and it was definitely shitty.

Yeah. A friend who isn’t on the boards or Facebook told me how he was disappointed with the vitriol directed at Whitt.

The main difference comparing Carter's situation to Neath and Massoud is that Forbes knows what he's doing and Manning was the worst coach to ever coach basketball in the history of basketball. I thought Forbes saw something and was thinking there'd be a breakthrough once Carter got enough PT, but he just wasn't ready for meaningful minutes against more physical players on both ends of the court. I really hope McCray doesn't enter the portal, which at this point I don't think he will. We will need him a lot next year.

Couple of dozen message boards posts? There were lots of people openly shitting on a teenager on Twitter and Wake Forest sports Facebook groups for a couple weeks. I feel bad for the kid. I have no idea if it affected him, but it was definitely more pervasive than negative comments on this board and it was definitely shitty.

Whitt was awful for a long time before the criticism ramped up. The vast majority here hoped for better for him for most of the season. This is ACC basketball. He had more turnovers than total points in ACC games; he made two three point shots from December 12th through March 23rd. He was torched on defense. When going over the games, it's going to get called out. If that's a problem, Carter shouldn't play on this level. WF fans are far less harsh on their own than most fans at this level.

Whitt was awful for a long time before the criticism ramped up. The vast majority here hoped for better for him for most of the season. This is ACC basketball. He had more turnovers than total points in ACC games; he made two three point shots from December 12th through March 23rd. He was torched on defense. When going over the games, it's going to get called out. If that's a problem, Carter shouldn't play on this level. WF fans are far less harsh on their own than most fans at this level.

Yeah, good lord. From his offer list posted earlier, go to Indiana, or NC State, or Florida and see how the vitriol is many multiples greater. We may have a lunatic fringe but it's a smaller percentage of our already small fanbase than most P6 schools (and many passionate mid-majors). Doesn't excuse the idiots who were publicly calling for him to transfer, etc.

Agree with all of this, but I also think Whitt was a victim of oversized expectations. No one is giving McCray or Lucas shit for their minimal contributions this season. But Whitt had the semester advantage and the 4 star rating, and our program has been so bad that a lot of weight was placed on getting a local 4 star PG.

Yeah, pretty much this. Bad play is going to get called out by any fanbase, and a fanbase as small as Wake's is bound to be less vocal than just about any other. We were all reasonably tempered with our expectations when he played last year, realizing it was a throwaway year and that his experience in a year that didn't count should only be beneficial down the road. When this year started, it was apparent that there was negligible improvement at best, and he honestly seemed to get worse as the season went along. It was clear his confidence was shot and a change of scenery was his best option. This is the right move for him. I hope he finds success wherever he goes. And gets a haircut.

All fans should go a little easier on the players. The Whitt vitriol was excessive given the size of his role in the team.

“Carter Whitt needs to get better at ball handling, he turns it over way too much. Forbes should give him less playing time and maybe try McCray!”

Vs

“CARTER WHITT SUX!! He shouldn’t even play D3!!!1! He’s the worst player I’ve ever seen at Wake!”

Are two very different kinds of statements.

Yeah. A friend who isn’t on the boards or Facebook told me how he was disappointed with the vitriol directed at Whitt.

I heard it from folks who aren't even affiliated with Wake or the AD. We should be pretty ashamed of our collective response to Carter Whitt's struggles at Wake.

The especially sad thing is that this decision was likely coming regardless of how mercilessly folks went after him publicly.

Yeah, pretty much this. Bad play is going to get called out by any fanbase, and a fanbase as small as Wake's is bound to be less vocal than just about any other. We were all reasonably tempered with our expectations when he played last year, realizing it was a throwaway year and that his experience in a year that didn't count should only be beneficial down the road. When this year started, it was apparent that there was negligible improvement at best, and he honestly seemed to get worse as the season went along. It was clear his confidence was shot and a change of scenery was his best option. This is the right move for him. I hope he finds success wherever he goes. And gets a haircut.

Y’all can make your selves feel better by saying “at least we aren’t as mean to our players as packpride”… but remember they’re a bunch redneck assholes, so you’re setting a pretty low bar.

I heard it from folks who aren't even affiliated with Wake or the AD. We should be pretty ashamed of our collective response to Carter Whitt's struggles at Wake.

The especially sad thing is that this decision was likely coming regardless of how mercilessly folks went after him publicly.

Expecting Wake to be some white knight fanbase with no lunatic fringe is living in fantasy land. It's what happens with fanatics. Doesn't make it a good thing, but comparing the Wake response to almost every single other P6 school, Whitt got off easy. He was quite possibly the worst player in the ACC. Worst player efficiency rating of anyone in the conference who played more than 300 min. Woof.

I mean, dudes on here whine about anonymous neg rep and don't understand how being an online jackass to/about a freshman PG isn't a great quality.

Whatever y'all gotta say to convince yourself that you weren't the problem isn't really the point. Some of y'all should be ashamed of yourselves, though.

in what setting were they seeing vitriol directed at Whitt? were people booing at games or something?

I mean, dudes on here whine about anonymous neg rep and don't understand how being an online jackass to/about a freshman PG isn't a great quality.

Whatever y'all gotta say to convince yourself that you weren't the problem isn't really the point. Some of y'all should be ashamed of yourselves, though.

The people involved in this discussion today, including Tigerswood, are not the people who were making problematic comments on the boards or otherwise. Just for the record.

Expecting Wake to be some white knight fanbase with no lunatic fringe is living in fantasy land. It's what happens with fanatics. Doesn't make it a good thing, but comparing the Wake response to almost every single other P6 school, Whitt got off easy. He was quite possibly the worst player in the ACC. Worst player efficiency rating of anyone in the conference who played more than 300 min. Woof.

He transferred. It's over. Again, whatever you have to tell yourself to make yourself feel like you weren't part of it (you were, though) is fine

Now take a breath and ask yourself: did we need entire threads trashing him on two public message boards (his play and, on 247, his general character, which I thought was particularly disgusting), fiery public posts in fan and alumni groups routinely excoriating him, people going in on him personally on social media, etc.?

Since I joined OGB in 2011, I've never seen this level of vitriol directed at a Wake player before and we've had some of the worst teams and players in our program's history in that window.

Last edited:
in what setting were they seeing vitriol directed at Whitt? were people booing at games or something?

Twitter, games, talking to fans.

Whitt got a disproportionate amount of hate for his age and status on the team. He was a freshman age backup PG who played a few minutes a game.

Twitter, games, talking to fans.

Whitt got a disproportionate amount of hate for his age and status on the team. He was a freshman age backup PG who played a few minutes a game.

oof

boards are my only real interaction with the Wake fan base -- guess I figured the worst takes would be mostly isolated to here

pretty shitty for carter -- wish him the best

He transferred. It's over. Again, whatever you have to tell yourself to make yourself feel like you weren't part of it (you were, though) is fine

Now take a breath and ask yourself: did we need entire threads trashing him on two public message boards (his play and, on 247, his general character, which I thought was particularly disgusting), fiery public posts in fan and alumni groups routinely excoriating him, people going in on him personally on social media, etc.?

Since I joined OGB in 2011, I've never seen this level of vitriol directed at a Wake player before and we've had some of the worst teams and players in our program's history in that window.

I, along with many others, were hard on him in game threads, where I am a fairly shitty emotional poster. Probably some season threads too. Never started a callout thread or advocated for him to transfer.

How would you recommend passionate fans "discuss freely" the least efficient player in the entire conference who plays for our team? "Aww, that's OK Carter, you'll make more than 1 of your next 30 shots, keep your head up!" Hell, we had posters saying ManMan was the main problem and that we'll be better off next year without him.

Back