• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

I, along with many others, were hard on him in game threads, where I am a fairly shitty emotional poster. Probably some season threads too. Never started a callout thread or advocated for him to transfer.

How would you recommend passionate fans "discuss freely" the least efficient player in the entire conference who plays for our team? "Aww, that's OK Carter, you'll make more than 1 of your next 30 shots, keep your head up!" Hell, we had posters saying ManMan was the main problem and that we'll be better off next year without him.

I feel like birdman had a pretty great response above.

people forget but wfu22's hatred of CMM was as bad as anyone toward Carter

yea, you're right, but he was one guy

and even he came out and said he realizes that that was wrong and the carter whitt talk on here was ridiculous lol

I, along with many others, were hard on him in game threads, where I am a fairly shitty emotional poster. Probably some season threads too. Never started a callout thread or advocated for him to transfer.

How would you recommend passionate fans "discuss freely" the least efficient player in the entire conference who plays for our team? "Aww, that's OK Carter, you'll make more than 1 of your next 30 shots, keep your head up!" Hell, we had posters saying ManMan was the main problem and that we'll be better off next year without him.

I kind of started this by saying it was more that just a few dozen negative posts on game threads. If that is all you personally did, then the criticisms were not directed at you. There were specific call out threads here and there were all sorts of tweets responding to the official Wake Men's BBall account and others on twitter and there were facebook posts in WFU sports groups saying things like "Worst player ever!" and "Take away his schollie." That is the shit that was over the top for an 19 year old kid.

I kind of started this by saying it was more that just a few dozen negative posts on game threads. If that is all you personally did, then the criticisms were not directed at you. There were specific call out threads here and there were all sorts of tweets responding to the official Wake Men's BBall account and others on twitter and there were facebook posts in WFU sports groups saying things like "Worst player ever!" and "Take away his schollie." That is the shit that was over the top for an 19 year old kid.

This is fair. I'll agree that I wish we weren't as shitty and trigger/take-happy as a society. I'm just not going to waste ire on the Wake fanbase when we're like a leaky faucet compared to class 5 rapids in much of the sports (and politics, entertainment, etc) world.

I'll also say that people (this is not directed at you) who try to tell people how to fan, are a problem as well. I'm sure I'm guilty of that on here at times. Basically humans suck, Wake fans are humans, Wake fans suck, but not as bad as most humans.

i’m not super knowledgeable about what’s going on broadly but from what i’ve gathered, our AD is a bit skeptical of NIL since the dollars are effectively coming from the same pool of dollars that could go towards other projects. i don’t necessarily disagree if the dollars are fungible (ie $10mm from mccreary might be better spent on facilities than a few NIL deals)

NIL probably works better when creating new value — sponsoring local businesses, media appearances, etc. i don’t think we have much going on that front just yet.

I haven't followed NIL developments but I thought at least in NC that schools weren't allowed to facilitate the deals, i.e., that the cash had to go straight to the player? Is that not correct? Either way I'm surprised to learn that the AD is "skeptical" about NIL. No AD can afford to be skeptical about it and I seriously doubt Wake is.

This is fair. I'll agree that I wish we weren't as shitty and trigger/take-happy as a society. I'm just not going to waste ire on the Wake fanbase when we're like a leaky faucet compared to class 5 rapids in much of the sports (and politics, entertainment, etc) world.

I'll also say that people (this is not directed at you) who try to tell people how to fan, are a problem as well. I'm sure I'm guilty of that on here at times. Basically humans suck, Wake fans are humans, Wake fans suck, but not as bad as most humans.

Nobody is telling you how to be a fan irt Carter Whitt. It's more of a human decency kind of thing, I think? Humans suck, but we can be better. That's what makes us human, after all. I hope we'll be better as individuals and as a community next time.

Nobody is telling you how to be a fan irt Carter Whitt. It's more of a human decency kind of thing, I think? Humans suck, but we can be better. That's what makes us human, after all. I hope we'll be better as individuals and as a community next time.

Human decency is a wonderful goal that we should all aspire too. That said, when a college player at the power conference level is objectively horrible, it's fair to point out his play is hurting the team, and that the team might perform better if he played less or not at all. That was the essence of the vast majority of the takes about Carter Whitt. Feels like you are trying to lump objective evaluations of his poor play with a random poster that went off the rails and unnecessarily attacked Whitt as a person. Wish the best for Whitt; lots of savvy coaches, including our own, felt Whitt had the talent to play at the highest level of college basketball. Maybe he can, but WF just wasn't the right fit.

I haven't followed NIL developments but I thought at least in NC that schools weren't allowed to facilitate the deals, i.e., that the cash had to go straight to the player? Is that not correct? Either way I'm surprised to learn that the AD is "skeptical" about NIL. No AD can afford to be skeptical about it and I seriously doubt Wake is.

I think you're right. But nothing preventing McCreary from paying Jake $100K for some furniture ads, right? Obviously, just an example. A big thing happening with a lot of schools (Memphis just announced this week) that a group of boosters are putting together a charitable NIL fund to pay players for supporting (ads, volunteer work, etc) local charities. Seems like we could do the same.

It is a bit sad that a guy who left Hugh school early to play at Wake now quits doing that. Particularly the son of Wake guy. Carter showed promise that part season. However, for whatever reasons, he seems to not have made progress this season. It didn't look like he matured much in a year. So perhaps it is best he gets a fresh start elsewhere. Good luck to him.

Good post-- completely agree.

I am not telling you or anybody how to fan, but I am telling Wake fans how to treat people, specifically how to treat kids on the internet. We're all "pro humanitate" unless that human bounces a ball off his foot in a full court trap defense.

Human decency is a wonderful goal that we should all aspire too. That said, when a college player at the power conference level is objectively horrible, it's fair to point out his play is hurting the team, and that the team might perform better if he played less or not at all. That was the essence of the vast majority of the takes about Carter Whitt. Feels like you are trying to lump objective evaluations of his poor play with a random poster that went off the rails and unnecessarily attacked Whitt as a person. Wish the best for Whitt; lots of savvy coaches, including our own, felt Whitt had the talent to play at the highest level of college basketball. Maybe he can, but WF just wasn't the right fit.

I think it is you who is doing the lumping here. The criticism of Whitt was blown off as a "few dozen negative posts message board on game threads" and I started this convo by saying that that was under stating the extent to which people went after Whitt. I specifically said it was on Twitter and FB and that it was shitty to take it out to public venues. You probably personally did not do that, but you're lumping your self in with those people and taking offense.

i agree with birdman.

anyway, do we know if any incoming transfer decisions are imminent? laravia committed in mid-march last year and monsanto and walton were early april. IIRC, at least a few of them had talked about their finalists, etc.

I think you're right. But nothing preventing McCreary from paying Jake $100K for some furniture ads, right? Obviously, just an example. A big thing happening with a lot of schools (Memphis just announced this week) that a group of boosters are putting together a charitable NIL fund to pay players for supporting (ads, volunteer work, etc) local charities. Seems like we could do the same.

I don't believe NIL dollars can come from board of trustees members which eliminates major donors like Mit Shah, Bob McCreary, and Ben Sutton.

Agree— this is a highly recruited kid who probably assumed he was an NBA lock when he was a sophomore in high school. He initially was quoted on wanting to see if he got offers from Duke or UNC before he committed. He’s not going to a mid major at this point in his career. He will end up at one of his initial Power 6 offers.

Low level AAC or Big east school at best

I don't believe NIL dollars can come from board of trustees members which eliminates major donors like Mit Shah, Bob McCreary, and Ben Sutton.

There are at least 10 ways around this and that's not even being creative.

jesus dude take a breath

Back