• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

Maybe the way to think about college basketball now is just to look at most players who come to Wake as one-year players, as a part of a one-year team, and then anything else we get is gravy. And we just remake the squad each year with a few returning pieces but a lot of new ones.

Hollywood has rediscovered the TV series on a streaming channel, when the individual movie you could see at the theater used to have predominance. College basketball seems to be the opposite. Each season is more akin to a standalone film instead of a recurring series of episodes over the years.

Or perhaps an anthology series.

Roster turnover at 4 year schools is going to look more like turnover at JuCos. Six - eight new players every year instead of three or four.

Roster turnover at 4 year schools is going to look more like turnover at JuCos. Six - eight new players every year instead of three or four.

That's in Forbes wheelhouse. Few, if any, are better at brining in and incorporating big numbers each season.

it's been discussed elsewhere, but NBA GMs are baking in an expected improvement into Jake's draft status for 2022. Modest improvement next year will move him down draft lists, not up.

Plenty of recent All-ACC first team players, including the entire 2021 All-ACC first team, have gone undrafted.

yep. laravia could improve with another year in college, but he's more likely to improve as a professional where he can spend 100% of his time on basketball.

if his goal is to be a pro basketball player and he is going to get picked up by an nba team, there aren't really basketball reasons for him to stay. it would have to be enjoying the college experience, his teammates and coaches, wanting to get a degree, etc.

That's in Forbes wheelhouse. Few, if any, are better at brining in and incorporating big numbers each season.

Yeah. Those JuCo years that appeared to be a "nothing burger" on his resume may well prove to have given him some skills and insight that coaches who haven't been there don't have.

Once I saw The Athletic have Jake late first/early second I am considering him 100% gone. That may or may not be true, just going to be my point of reference.

If we get 2-of-3 from Mucius, Walton, Williamson think that would be a big boost. Williamson seems most likely, just a guess.

Think it’s fair to say we may have 1 transfer just given the stage of CBB.

Worst case - you have 0 returning starters next season. Hildreth, Monsanto, Marsh will be the only guys with any real PT from last season. Puts a ton of pressure on either Taylor or McCray to be solid role players. We would have to hit the portal hard. A true PG is an absolute must, even if we land Mintz. After that - rebounding machine, athletic wing, another shooter… could there be a scenario where we are one or 2 schollies short? Seems like it. And hope Keller is legit.

Jake's biggest attribute is his defensive game. Offensively, he's good, not great. Good footwork underneath, but not big enough to bang seriously in the NBA. Needs to develop his 3 and midrange game more and beef up.

If it were just the NBA we were talking about, I wouldn't be worried, but kids have options now. Hell, Dinos Mitoglou and his 2 inch vertical went off and made bank in Greece, averaging less than 10ppg, and Jake is better than he ever was. If Jake's goal is the NBA, then he needs to stay. If his goal is to play professionally and see the world, he will go and attempt to make a statement overseas that is enough to get noticed by an NBA club. I didn't realize that he was already the age of a Mormon senior. I think that makes him more inclined to bolt.

We will be fielding a lot of new faces next year. I expect Whitt to transfer.

Last edited:
A friend and I were talking last night after UK's loss and whether or not Oscar comes back. He talked about playing overseas as an option, but I wonder with everything going on in Ukraine if guys will be hesitant to go play in Europe and surrounding areas now.

I think the next couple of years will be a revolving door with players coming and going. That being said, I rust Forbes to keep us in the upper half of the league (maybe better) After that and he has a chance to improve our image, I think we can be a factor in recruiting talented high school recruits.

Jake would be ACC POY and lottery pick if he stays 1 more year.

I doubt he'll be a lottery pick, but he could be a firm 1st rounder who will be a nice asset to a playoff team.

But like others have said, he's only going to stay if he enjoys playing college basketball at Wake. Staying another year isn't going dramatically change his future. Either he'll stay and play his way into a solid 1st round contract or he'll leave, get drafted, sign a rookie deal or a two-way contract and work his way onto a roster.

Alex Tchikou had 5 minutes of playing time in his career at Alabama. he did grab 3 rebounds in his one minute against Miami.

small wonder the photo does not include his uniform

Alex Tchikou had 5 minutes of playing time in his career at Alabama. he did grab 3 rebounds in his one minute against Miami.

hey we turned the 7th man at Oklahoma into ACC POY. Think about what we could do with this guy.

Tchikou is 2 years removed from being a 4* recruit with a bunch of good offers. I'm guessing he would have 4 years of eligibility left too. I'd like to have a more experienced big to play with Marsh and Keller (and hopefully Walton), but I can see why Forbes would be interested.

He was a top 75 guy coming from HS per 247. He had to be a dissapointment at Alabama. He had a bunch of ACC and SEC offers plus a few from out west. He started HS at Findlay Prep in Nevada. It closed on him, so he finished school Dream City Christian in AZ.

yep. laravia could improve with another year in college, but he's more likely to improve as a professional where he can spend 100% of his time on basketball.

if his goal is to be a pro basketball player and he is going to get picked up by an nba team, there aren't really basketball reasons for him to stay. it would have to be enjoying the college experience, his teammates and coaches, wanting to get a degree, etc.

only basketball reason would be a calculation that another year would significantly improve your draft position and this your likelihood of a team investing it’s resources in your success and a h oh ghee starting salary floor

not an easy calculation to make it you are, say, a mid-second round grade

Back