• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

I don’t have any data to back it up but it feels like guys drafted in the first round get a longer leash and more time to succeed than second round/undrafted guys when you control for on-court performance

Jaelin Llewellyn's ability to score the basketball and make shots at a high level lands him at No. 4 on this debut list (247 ranking of the 2022 basketball portal.)
2021-22 Stats: 15.7 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 2.5 APG (44.7% FGs, 38.6% from three).
Son of former Wake player Cordell Llewellyn

only basketball reason would be a calculation that another year would significantly improve your draft position and this your likelihood of a team investing it’s resources in your success and a h oh ghee starting salary floor

not an easy calculation to make it you are, say, a mid-second round grade

well he would expect to improve if playing professionally as well. so you have to not only bank on improving a lot, but also on the idea that you would improve more by staying in school than in the pros. i suppose you could argue that the coaching and facilities in school are better than the g league, but even if you buy that i don’t think it offsets the focus that comes from being a pro athlete.

Season over.

giphy.gif

There is so much to be excited about for this program going forward, and for now the most important thing is putting together a tournament worthy roster for next year.

Without (hopefully) the covid excuse and after a season of winning I'm looking forward to the announced crowds of 4,000 for non conference games becoming an announced 6,000 and more on weekends. I'm looking forward to ACC weekend games becoming an easy 10k.

With what looks to be a better cast of home games I'm looking forward to marquee matchups becoming a hot ticket once again and believe we will see our first sell out in a long time next year even in an oversized arena.

I'm excited for the fact that we will be getting higher priority in scheduling and TV assignments with higher expectations.

I'm pumped for a summer of recruiting for this staff after a winning season.

Most of all, I'm excited to buy a quarter season ticket and fly down for games as often as I can. Sports have a unique ability to keep alumni engaged with their schools and I'm looking forward to basketball providing that for me and many others. Onwards and upwards.

Names we are seemingly in contact with already:
Hayden Brown - The Citadel - Originally from Winston-Salem
Alex Tchikou - Alabama
Jalen Bridges - West Virginia
Jaelin Llewellyn - Princeton

Quick reminder... I know nothing. These are pulls from Twitter.

Cordell Llewellyn already has a kid in college? Man I feel old.

well he would expect to improve if playing professionally as well. so you have to not only bank on improving a lot, but also on the idea that you would improve more by staying in school than in the pros. i suppose you could argue that the coaching and facilities in school are better than the g league, but even if you buy that i don’t think it offsets the focus that comes from being a pro athlete.

There is also the NBA salary floor differential between first and second round picks.

There is also the NBA salary floor differential between first and second round picks.

being a first round pick is better than a second round pick, no doubt.

the issue for a guy like laravia is that it's almost unheard of these days for an "old guy" to raise his stock from his junior to senior year and move up as a 23 year old -- and imo, if laravia needs a big jump in his game to be an nba player, he's more likely to do so in a professional setting than in college (with money being an additional benefit).

now if the feedback is laravia isn't a sure thing to land with an nba team (in some capacity), i do think that changes the calculus.

being a first round pick is better than a second round pick, no doubt.

the issue for a guy like laravia is that it's almost unheard of these days for an "old guy" to raise his stock from his junior to senior year and move up as a 23 year old -- and imo, if laravia needs a big jump in his game to be an nba player, he's more likely to do so in a professional setting than in college (with money being an additional benefit).

now if the feedback is laravia isn't a sure thing to land with an nba team (in some capacity), i do think that changes the calculus.

He has a legit shot at ACCPOY and he just watched his teammate increase his NBA chances dramatically. Jake could benefit from another year. There were too many games that he disappeared on offense, either for the whole game or significant portions. If he can become a more consistent force and improve on his already great defense, I don't see why he can't be a first rounder.

I also remember reading that age is extremely overrated when it comes to NBA careers. It's not turning 30 that ends careers, it's the number of 82+ game seasons. So whether he turns pro at 22 or 23 should not matter.

He has a legit shot at ACCPOY and he just watched his teammate increase his NBA chances dramatically. Jake could benefit from another year. There were too many games that he disappeared on offense, either for the whole game or significant portions. If he can become a more consistent force and improve on his already great defense, I don't see why he can't be a first rounder.

I also remember reading that age is extremely overrated when it comes to NBA careers. It's not turning 30 that ends careers, it's the number of 82+ game seasons. So whether he turns pro at 22 or 23 should not matter.

I mean, I guess going from not drafted to 2nd round pick is a dramatic increase, but its not like Williams is likely to be an NBA player.

Laravia is most likely going to be a guy who plays overseas. If some folks at Wake want to give him enough NIL money to cover what he might make over there (or, I guess what he might make on a 2-way or G-League deal), then staying might make sense.

I mean, I guess going from not drafted to 2nd round pick is a dramatic increase, but its not like Williams is likely to be an NBA player.

Laravia is most likely going to be a guy who plays overseas. If some folks at Wake want to give him enough NIL money to cover what he might make over there (or, I guess what he might make on a 2-way or G-League deal), then staying might make sense.

Going from not being close to on the NBA radar to a likely draft pick is a dramatic increase.

the issue for a guy like laravia is that it's almost unheard of these days for an "old guy" to raise his stock from his junior to senior year and move up as a 23 year old.

1/3 of the players in the 2021 draft were juniors and seniors.

1/3 of the players in the 2021 draft were juniors and seniors.

not totally understanding your point -- upperclassmen get definitely drafted, which is precisely why we are talking about laravia leaving early as he seems to be being projected for the 2nd round.

the other factor is that laravia is really old for his class

What boards are you seeing Laravia going in 2nd round? I haven't been able to see his name on any of the top 60 or top 100 prospects lists I've checked.

Back