• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

Klintman gives the Deacs the big wing they lost with Mucius and probably Laravia. If he works on defense he would also fit into a big lineup on defense that Forbes liked to employ last year. The staff found and secured the missing piece to next year's team. Five players 6'9" or larger.

I think so. Holding spots for Williamson and LaRavia.

It is obvious that LaRavia is waiting to see what happens at NBA pre draft camp.

Does anybody have insight into what additional information Williamson is seeking before making his decision? NBA pre-drft camp invitations are our and he didn't get one. Is he balancing G-league/ overseas vs NIL deal to return to Wake?

Klintman gives the Deacs the big wing they lost with Mucius and probably Laravia. If he works on defense he would also fit into a big lineup on defense that Forbes liked to employ last year. The staff found and secured the missing piece to next year's team. Five players 6'9" or larger.

Forbes is quite the recruiter. Has really filled all the missing pieces with under the radar types that can play. Great foundation being built. Looking forward to another exciting season with some new guys in key roles.

So many doubters, it got embarrassing. In Forbes we trust.

we have enough players to field a competitive team now, but while i’m cautiously optimistic i don’t think it’s a given we don’t suck. as mentioned, the pedigree of the incoming players don’t match up to last years group.

Admittedly, Forbes targeted younger players (Soph's) in the portal this season. Next season look for more HS recruits.

Might take our licks early on, but me likey this strategy. :thumbsup:

Targeted or got?

we have enough players to field a competitive team now, but while i’m cautiously optimistic i don’t think it’s a given we don’t suck. as mentioned, the pedigree of the incoming players don’t match up to last years group.

I don’t understand this. As I recall, The only players that people seemed excited about were Laravia and Monsanto (both sophomores btw). The Alondes recruitment was literally ridiculed and people seemed to think Dallas was good for 10 minutes a game because of his 75 year old knees. It looks to me like people are rewriting history wrt to the 2021 transfer class because they greatly exceeded expectations.

People were also excited that Alondes and Walton were contributors on NCAA Tournament teams and that they and Sy were so experienced. This group was a step above Forbes’ first transfers.

Such a take also bakes in the unlikelihood that this group probably won’t have a POY and 2nd teamer.

Forbes did it again. Pumped for some of these guys.

Give me an Appleby, Daivien, Monsanto, Carr and Bradford lineup. Or that could easily be Ituka, Cam, McCray, Keller, Marsh. We have some pieces to work with and would assume Daivien comes back at this point and Jake is gone (which he should be if he’s anywhere close to top 20).

I don’t understand this. As I recall, The only players that people seemed excited about were Laravia and Monsanto (both sophomores btw). The Alondes recruitment was literally ridiculed and people seemed to think Dallas was good for 10 minutes a game because of his 75 year old knees. It looks to me like people are rewriting history wrt to the 2021 transfer class because they greatly exceeded expectations.

imo your post is also a bit of revisionist history (downplaying the excitement of last years bunch) but it’s ultimately not really relevant as we can objectively compare the track record of the players brought in as OGB did a couple pages ago.

but your last point is also a good one, last years group greatly exceeded expectations which i don’t think we can’t expect to happen again, which should also temper expectations going into next year.

Still salty that 23 wins (13-7 ACC) somehow wasn't enough to get us a NCAAT bid.

Hope COY Forbes got some answers from uncheat who were on the NCAAT committee at last week's conference meetings.

imo your post is also a bit of revisionist history (downplaying the excitement of last years bunch) but it’s ultimately not really relevant as we can objectively compare the track record of the players brought in as OGB did a couple pages ago.

but your last point is also a good one, last years group greatly exceeded expectations which i don’t think we can’t expect to happen again, which should also temper expectations going into next year.

Agree - I posted quite some time ago that Williams and Walton played far more minutes and were far more productive than their previous years in D1 would indicate was likely. Can we give credit to Forbes for seeing potential and extracting it? Sure. There is also an element of luck involved, and regression to the mean seems likely.

Back