• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

That’s what I’m thinking too. Higher ceiling than Appleby.

It will be interesting to see how the guard rotation shakes out.

Carr is the guy right now that appears to have a wide open shot at big time minutes day 1.

Do have alot of good guards and shooters it appears which is nice. One of the problems (and we didn't have too many) we had last year was turnovers especially in our losses. We did make a lot of silly turnovers at times and really think we improve alot in this area which will be huge. Think we have a chance to be in top third again. Alot will be depend on Carr and Davian/Marsh and inside game.

pretty good sign also that we ended up only having one guy transfer out, and it was an obvious one. all the other guys are opting to turn pro rather than continuing their college journey elsewhere.

Joey Baker??

6-6 grad transfer, underutilized at his previous school….

He’s from NC.

He'd be a nice late add to take LaRavia's spot.

That’s what I’m thinking too. Higher ceiling than Appleby.

It will be interesting to see how the guard rotation shakes out.

Carr is the guy right now that appears to have a wide open shot at big time minutes day 1.

Right now there isn't anybody on the roster who plays like I expect Carr to play. His path to major minutes rests on: 1: his ability to next the next step up with his game; whether Jake returns. (Likelihood decreasing rapidly); and whether Forbes signing someone else who can play like him.

Right now, he is looking at 30+ minutes per game if he can be productive for that much time.

Right now there isn't anybody on the roster who plays like I expect Carr to play. His path to major minutes rests on: 1: his ability to next the next step up with his game; whether Jake returns. (Likelihood decreasing rapidly); and whether Forbes signing someone else who can play like him.

Right now, he is looking at 30+ minutes per game if he can be productive for that much time.

Keller seems to have a similar game but I doubt he'll be ready to contribute.

I think we’ll get buckets. Not sure we’ll stop anyone. But you figure Jao gets his 15 ppg, Monsanto gets his 35, that’s 50 right off the bat.

If you are trying to compare the Bz/Manning teams to Forbes teams so far and say it’s same old same old in terms of transfers that’s just not true at all.

Apples and oranges.

There has been nothing concerning about the guys leaving this off season. And this is just a different era.

Not what I meant at all. I was just stating the fact that there will be 1-2 players every year that thinks the grass is greener somewhere else. Either in the NBA or at another school. It just happens. To take what I said to mean that we'll have wholesale changes due to coaching failures or anything like that is putting words in my mouth.

I count a player leaving with eligibility remaining as leaving early. I think that's a reasonable take. Whether there are completely justifiable and common sense reasons to do so varies between players.

IMO, I still think Forbes will be hitting the portal for 2-3 players every year. That's both a product of the new landscape of today's NCAA BB as a whole and the fact that every single player that plays the sport is looking to make it to the NBA, so the desire to jump at any whiff of an opportunity can be hard to turn down.

Sometimes they jump too early at the chance and don't make it, sometimes its the right choice. That doesn't change the fact that they left.

It's just my opinion, so if others (not you lazydeac) can't understand what I'm talking about, then I question their ability to comprehend other basic common sense facts.

I LOVE the optimism, but I don't see how anyone that has watched Wake for the last decade expects losing fewer than 3-4 players to transfers/leaving early. Every year someone leaves early without real evidence of bring drafted, and every year multiple players transfer, whether they played meaningful minutes or not.

Not what I meant at all. I was just stating the fact that there will be 1-2 players every year that thinks the grass is greener somewhere else. Either in the NBA or at another school. It just happens. To take what I said to mean that we'll have wholesale changes due to coaching failures or anything like that is putting words in my mouth.

lol

based on my brief research, kenneth lofton jr from latech would be the perfect fit. hopefully jake and manman are in his ear. some folks on twitter think he will return (although he is crushing the combine)

Yeah I’d love Lofton, Jr. He can play. Gotta think everyone would be after him, but if the timing is right…

I count a player leaving with eligibility remaining as leaving early. I think that's a reasonable take. Whether there are completely justifiable and common sense reasons to do so varies between players.

IMO, I still think Forbes will be hitting the portal for 2-3 players every year. That's both a product of the new landscape of today's NCAA BB as a whole and the fact that every single player that plays the sport is looking to make it to the NBA, so the desire to jump at any whiff of an opportunity can be hard to turn down.

Sometimes they jump too early at the chance and don't make it, sometimes its the right choice. That doesn't change the fact that they left.

It's just my opinion, so if others (not you lazydeac) can't understand what I'm talking about, then I question their ability to comprehend other basic common sense facts.

Ok fair enough that’s not how I read it the first time but I see it now.

My point is that for a casual fan they may observe how much turnover we had this year and think that it’s no different than Manning era turnover and that’s just not the case.

The diehards here need to keep getting behind Forbes and this team because we are going places now. This guy knows what he’s down my in a way that the last two regimes simply did not. Even with all the changes in the last couple years - Forbes will make it happen. Let’s get excited.

pretty good sign also that we ended up only having one guy transfer out, and it was an obvious one. all the other guys are opting to turn pro rather than continuing their college journey elsewhere.

Agree. Nice change from the last regime.

I've watched a ton of tape recently on the incoming transfers and here is a summary of what I see in each of them:

Carr isn't as under control, as strong, as good a ball handler, or as versatile as Jake, but he is an inch or two taller and much longer. He has a nice 3 point stroke and can explode to the rim when it's open in a way that Jake kind of hesitated to last year at times. Not the same exact type of player as Jake and probably won't have the same ability level, but he's a very good piece at the 4.

Appleby is criticized by some for having a low shooting percentage and a negative assist to turnover ratio. However, Florida ran an absolutely putrid offense (261st in FG%) last year that forced their players such as Appleby into difficult shots. His highlight tape is almost exclusively hitting contested threes or creating for himself off the dribble. With a real coach and real offense he'll be way more efficient. He's a better shooter than his percentages say. He has a very quick first step to attack the rim but at 6'1" doesn't play above the rim as much as Alondes did.

Ituka is a bulldog that can put his head down and either get to the rim, draw fouls, or hopefully dump it off to a big man in a Wake uniform. Marist also ran an astoundingly terrible offense sitting dead last in assists in the country, so I think his ability as a distributor will be much more apparent in a Wake uniform. He's not super confident in his 3 point shot by the looks of the tape but hits open 3s and the stroke doesn't look problematic.

Bradford is a weird one obviously but you kind of just have to ignore last year when he was sick and hurt. He is a very good cutter and he'll dunk anything he can which I love in a big man. He can get up and down the floor but isn't the most agile or quick to get off the floor vertically on defense or rebounding. Has some decent post moves but isn't especially accurate with his shots down low. He should be a fine addition but not a star. His biggest addition to this team might not be his own play, but rather by being serviceable enough to allow Carr to play the 4 instead of being an undersized 5.

If I had to take a flyer on who the standout of the bunch will be, I'd probably say Appleby, though I have a sneaky suspicion Carr will put on some weight this summer and surprise a lot of people with his inside out game.

Ok fair enough that’s not how I read it the first time but I see it now.

My point is that for a casual fan they may observe how much turnover we had this year and think that it’s no different than Manning era turnover and that’s just not the case.

The diehards here need to keep getting behind Forbes and this team because we are going places now. This guy knows what he’s down my in a way that the last two regimes simply did not. Even with all the changes in the last couple years - Forbes will make it happen. Let’s get excited.

VERY EXCITED! I completely agree that Forbes is a completely different monster than REDACTED and Manning. My opinion that he'll be hitting the portal for ~1-3 transfers (better BBD?) every year is not meant in any way to convey that I don't believe in his ability to recruit and coach up those transfers.

I am ALL IN on Forbes and ready to be good again!!

GO DEACS!!!

https://heatcheckcbb.com/ncaa-basketball-analyzing-underrated-additions-of-the-2022-transfer-cycle/
[h=3]Tyree Appleby, Wake Forest[/h] Alondes Williams was a superstar for Wake Forest last season. While the Oklahoma transfer could not take the Demon Deacons to the NCAA Tournament, he led Wake to 25 victories while winning ACC Player of the Year. Following his departure, head coach Steve Forbes had a big hole to fill in his backcourt. So, why not try for another proven high-major guard? Florida transfer Tyree Appleby likely won’t be able to fill Williams’ large shoes, but he has succeeded at every stop in his college career.

Appleby began his career at Cleveland State, notching double-digit points per game in both of his seasons and being named All-Horizon once. After sitting out the 2019-20 season due to transfer rules, he posted back-to-back strong seasons with Florida. Appleby started 44 of 59 games for the Gators while averaging 11.1 points and 3.5 assists per contest. He is a career 35.5 percent 3-point shooter and made 193-of-230 (83.9 percent) free throws with UF.

Appleby is remarkably quick with the ball and attacks the basket relentlessly. His free-throw rate at Florida was particularly impressive, as was his efficiency on those attempts. Next season, he will pair with Daivien Williamson and fellow transfer addition Jao Ituka in Wake Forest’s backcourt. Given Appleby’s track record of contributions at the high-major level, he is a solid addition to the Demon Deacons.

Seems Appleby and Jao are proficient at getting to the rim which will open up 3's on the peremiter. Glad Appleby is a very good ft shooter as well.

If LaRavia says nothing, then he’s in the draft? I’m fully expecting he will not be back, but…

Yeah. If he says nothing, he's in the draft. Our only hope is that he feels like he put himself on their radar and can become a lottery pick if he stays. Right now he looks like a late first round pick in this draft.

Last edited:
I'm guessing (hoping) he'll at least have a farewell message thanking the coaches, fans, teammates, etc. Seems to be the big trend these days with players whenever they make a decision about their future.

Back