• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

not going to dismiss these feelings that i think have some validity, and clearly others feel the same way. that said not sure it would stand up to the evidence. and best case, getting tim duncan to turn down being the #1 pick two straight years is probably the greatest coup in the history of college sports. granted that was a long time ago, so maybe we are just paying for that.

The thing was, nobody got Timmy to stay - times were different then and he was a different dude. I don't think he really ever thought much about going early - if I recall correctly, I think he had promised his mother he would get his degree.

Yeah I'm not sure why people still use the "he's not ready" argument to say a guy should stay in school. If we have seen anything over the last 25-30 years is that the NBA could care less if you are "ready". They only care about whether or not you have the potential to be an NBA player and the younger the guy is, the better.

The NBA doesn't care about the player. They love for kids to go early and get drafted in the second round or get signed as an UFA - then they can evaluate them for very cheap for a year or two - if they pan out, great, if they don't, no harm. If a player like Jake can, instead, stay an extra year, get stronger, work on weaknesses, establish a big name for themselves (first team All ACC, AA teams, etc.) - now maybe you sneak into the first round and get much more money right off the bat - and guaranteed money.

not going to dismiss these feelings that i think have some validity, and clearly others feel the same way. that said not sure it would stand up to the evidence. and best case, getting tim duncan to turn down being the #1 pick two straight years is probably the greatest coup in the history of college sports. granted that was a long time ago, so maybe we are just paying for that.

So long ago.

- Never really felt like Tim was leaving after soph year. I think TV asked the question with him and Childress on camera and Childress shook his head no. Maybe I not remembering correctly.
- After Jr. year it was a big decision moment. Those of us on the old AOL boards were waiting on the pending decision.
- IIRC Timmy referenced liking college, being ready for the NBA and wanting to chase a championship.
- Dave 'the end is not the Trophy' said coming back to win was not a good reason (basically).
- Odom recruited one top player to support Tim, who was a head case, if he had done a half assed job of recruting in Tim's Soph and Jr. years his entire season would not have been dependent on Rutland's knee.
- If his NBA career showed anything Timmy was driven to win championships. I believe he was willing to give up a year in the pros for a Final 4/NCAA championship.
- And just to go all in on this, Timmy stayed to win, CP3 left for the money. The irony is that Timmy probably left 10's or 100's of millions on the table because he didn't care about commerials or the adoration. CP3 chased the dollars and has zero championships to show for it. Did it leaving college, did it in the NBA (of course if they had let the Lakers get him it might be different). I bet CP3 has made 10's of millions from State Farm. LaRavia is not equal to Duncan/CP3. The money was there for both of those guys, it was a matter of values, winning or money. The world is different today, but the true elites have different choices.

Would rather this thread not turn into a rehashed discussion of whether or not a player (in this case, Jake) should go to the NBA. It’s been covered ad nauseam in numerous other threads over the years.

Go back and read about Collins, Moore, etc and the same points are being made by many of the same people.

I’m more interested in wild speculation about next year’s roster.

Would rather this thread not turn into a rehashed discussion of whether or not a player (in this case, Jake) should go to the NBA. It’s been covered ad nauseam in numerous other threads over the years.

Go back and read about Collins, Moore, etc and the same points are being made by many of the same people.

Agree that we have had this same discussion several times on these boards, but whether Jake stays or goes is the most important factor impacting next year's roster. Hard to just ignore it when speculating on the makeup of the 2023 roster.

Agree that we have had this same discussion several times on these boards, but whether Jake stays or goes is the most important factor impacting next year's roster. Hard to just ignore it when speculating on the makeup of the 2023 roster.

Is it really a stretch to say we will not be a better team next season without Jake? I just don't see how we avoid regression if he leaves.

Technically we could be a worse team, but experience more success. Every team will have extreme roster turnover, so each preseason will be a bit of an unknown.

Minutes projections coming in a few hours

The thing was, nobody got Timmy to stay - times were different then and he was a different dude.

nitpicking here, not a slight. times were not different then. that was the era that set it off. the early entrants were escalating. high schoolers like garnett and kobe were already skipping college. wallace, stackhouse, smith (just to name a few) all departed after their sophomore campaigns.
it's more duncan was a one of a kind. stayed four years and is still considered one of the best NBA players ever and HOF

nitpicking here, not a slight. times were not different then. that was the era that set it off. the early entrants were escalating. high schoolers like garnett and kobe were already skipping college. wallace, stackhouse, smith (just to name a few) all departed after their sophomore campaigns.
it's more duncan was a one of a kind. stayed four years and is still considered one of the best NBA players ever and HOF

Around the time of when he was in school, the NBA went from no rookie salary scale for the draft slots to a rookie cap on salary. If he turned pro a year or two earlier, his rookie contract would have been higher than the slotted salaries.
So he left a lot of money on the table by not coming out early.

Around the time of when he was in school, the NBA went from no rookie salary scale for the draft slots to a rookie cap on salary. If he turned pro a year or two earlier, his rookie contract would have been higher than the slotted salaries.
So he left a lot of money on the table by not coming out early.

Yes

Kevin Garnett made roughly $80 million more over his career

Of course.

But the back and forth about whether or not he should go isn’t helpful or interesting, imo.

Have to assume he’ll at least test the NBA waters… Then we’ll just have to wait for the deadline for him to (hopefully) withdraw his name.

WFU Men's Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction Thread - LET'S DO THIS!!!

I think it’s a rather fascinating case study of what players at his level do in this day and age, with lots of pro options but also the existence of NIL (even if that hasn’t taken off yet among our athletes). Because if we continue to utilize the portal, this will be an ongoing dilemma at each season’s end.

We definitely need to get our NIL stuff together to remain competitive.

Back