• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

i believe last year forbes listed the top 5 players and didn't include alondes williams on it, so not sure it's meant to be an accurate/credible source of info.

i believe last year forbes listed the top 5 players and didn't include alondes williams on it, so not sure it's meant to be an accurate/credible source of info.

Among other things, I think the list is intended to reflect who had the best Summer. He said, that doesn't mean that those 5 will be our starters.

BTW, it's not like Forbes ignored Monsanto. Damari was the first player he mentioned when listing conditioning improvements. IIRC, Monsanto was also 2nd to Williamson in 3s made this Summer.

One other note: Forbes went out of his way to mention what a hard worker Ituka was and how good he is at "getting downhill and attacking the basket". Got the sense that Forbes is very happy with both Carr and Ituka.

Yeah, last year's Top 5 was: LaRavia, Williamson, Walton, Hildreth, and then Sy. But Williams was mentioned as bring right there with Sy, so not completely omitted.

Agree on Ituka... Feels like we haven't had a player like him in a while. I am really excited to watch Williamson, Appleby, and Ituka. Will be interesting to see how Forbes utilizes them together.

I had mentioned on the 24/7 board that I felt like Monsanto didn't get a lot of talk... I still feel that way, but I didn't mean to imply that it has a deeper meaning. I was just expecting to hear more about him given his likely increased role and supposed body transformation.

I also noticed when going back through my notes from last year's summer Forbes presser (July '21) that he mentioned that Taylor really shot the ball well from 3.

Didn't translate to any playing time, though.

Appears as though he's basically a 3&D guy for us... Hopefully he can earn minutes in that kind of role. Seems crowded in front of him.

Just want to say I fucking love Forbes' press conferences. He's a hell of a dude.

Just want to say I fucking love Forbes' press conferences. He's a hell of a dude.

Seriously. Absolutely love how he covers down on stats and has zero issue ranking and critiquing players. Very refreshing in a world where so many coaches are like "we did good things, I like this player, we'll see how things go, we'll see where we end up, it's early so everyone is still figuring out their role, etc."

I hope Monsanto can come through and be our alpha this year, I think he has plenty of talent to do so. I still don't know if he has the mental makeup of Jake/Alondes where he will be that dominant but hopefully he can prove me wrong. Just seems a little too emotional, especially when things aren't going his way.

Yeah, last year's Top 5 was: LaRavia, Williamson, Walton, Hildreth, and then Sy. But Williams was mentioned as bring right there with Sy, so not completely omitted.

Agree on Ituka... Feels like we haven't had a player like him in a while. I am really excited to watch Williamson, Appleby, and Ituka. Will be interesting to see how Forbes utilizes them together.

I had mentioned on the 24/7 board that I felt like Monsanto didn't get a lot of talk... I still feel that way, but I didn't mean to imply that it has a deeper meaning. I was just expecting to hear more about him given his likely increased role and supposed body transformation.

Three 6'1" dudes, two of them very skinny - that is tough to work around defensively. I'm also interested to see how often they share the floor. Good to hear that Appleby has gained some muscle. Hopefully we run and trap.

Three 6'1" dudes, two of them very skinny - that is tough to work around defensively. I'm also interested to see how often they share the floor. Good to hear that Appleby has gained some muscle. Hopefully we run and trap.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. I think they all will see plenty of minutes, but with our apparent rebounding issues it'll be tough to have them on the floor at the same time. And, as you mention, there will be some matchups that don't work defensively with them all out there together.

But Appleby & Ituka can handle the ball... That will be nice.

If Taylor and McCray can also play D, press full court. Use some pages out of the old Nolan Richardson playbook. Swap guys like hockey coaches do.

I expect to see Williamson, Appleby and Ituka cover the minutes at the 1 and 2. A lack of quickness at guard was exploited in most every loss last season. Ituka and Appleby should rectify that problem. Appleby's aggressive defense might be good enough to create problems for bigger guards and negate the size differential. It's like swatting a gnat that won't quit flying around your face.

One of the reasons the team has focused on elite conditioning is to improve the quicks of every player. That half step/step can make a big difference on both ends of the court.

Last edited:
Among other things, I think the list is intended to reflect who had the best Summer. He said, that doesn't mean that those 5 will be our starters.

BTW, it's not like Forbes ignored Monsanto. Damari was the first player he mentioned when listing conditioning improvements. IIRC, Monsanto was also 2nd to Williamson in 3s made this Summer.

One other note: Forbes went out of his way to mention what a hard worker Ituka was and how good he is at "getting downhill and attacking the basket". Got the sense that Forbes is very happy with both Carr and Ituka.

Some really good stuff in the video. I think Coach was most pleased by the weight changes up and down correlated to body fat.

Some really good stuff in the video. I think Coach was most pleased by the weight changes up and down correlated to body fat.

I think you’re right. I’m having trouble keeping a straight face as I type it, but I do think you’re right.

Hate that McCray seems to be struggling. Thought he would make a jump in year 2

Hate that McCray seems to be struggling. Thought he would make a jump in year 2

Even though his playing time was limited it seemed very clear neither him nor Taylor are ACC players. Sure Taylor plays ok defense but that’s it. McCray has hops but that’s it. They’ll both transfer at the end of the season more than likely.

Even though his playing time was limited it seemed very clear neither him nor Taylor are ACC players. Sure Taylor plays ok defense but that’s it. McCray has hops but that’s it. They’ll both transfer at the end of the season more than likely.

this guy again?

hah, McCray shot 55% from the field and 40% from 3 in his limited playing time last year. I think most of us saw him and wished he played more than he did. He may transfer at some point in his career bc a ton of players do transfer, but he certainly has the skills to be an ACC player.

this guy again?

It’s a new season so of course I’m back. Probably won’t be as vocal on them to transfer as I was with Whitt unless they get the same playing time he was and they both keep making the same mistakes.

I don’t know how I was one of the first to be calling for Whitt to transfer? I’m not a basketball mind by any means but even I could tell he didn’t belong from the way he played could never understand why the rest of y’all couldn’t see it.

Back