• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

I feel like I'm normally pretty optimistic heading into every season, which at the end of Manning might have qualified me for some type of psychological disorder. I'm feeling pretty pessimistic at the moment. I highly doubt Forbes is able to put together a better group of transfers than we had last season. If Jake stays, I can see building a team around him, but if he's gone I can't see how there isn't a substantial regression. It also feels like missing the NCAAT killed a lot of our momentum. Someone please cheer me up and tell me I'm wrong.

You want to be cheered up? Monsanto is coming back. He tore his Achilles just nine months ago, and returned with no time to ramp up. He showed he can be a star. Feel like Monsanto is going to light it up next year. Add in Hildreth and Marsh, plus at least a couple of Davien, Isaiah, Walton and Jake. WF has so much more returning than last year. WF doesn't need to hit grand slam in the portal to be good next year; just a couple of solid hits, and WF should be solid next year.

I love Monsanto as much as the next guy, but if the response is we're going to rely on the 7th man from a team that didn't make the NCAAT...

I like Hildreth a lot. He is smart with the ball and plays much bigger than he is. If Jake and Walton are back, I think Forbes will have us in the tournament next season.

I love Monsanto as much as the next guy, but if the response is we're going to rely on the 7th man from a team that didn't make the NCAAT...

I like Hildreth a lot. He is smart with the ball and plays much bigger than he is. If Jake and Walton are back, I think Forbes will have us in the tournament next season.

So you're relying on the 8th man instead?

I agree with your skepticism. Part of the frustration of this season is to see Forbes, Williams, and LaRavia get individual honors from the success of the transfer portal but what Miami get the team success. But it's not far-fetched to expect the guys we know are returning to improve and to be a better team overall.

Monsanto was on the bench because he started the season in a boot. He was the SOCON ROY in 2021 and can play. (FWIW, Alondes was Oklahoma's 7th man last year, and relying on him worked out pretty well this past year).

Monsanto has the type of talent that can carry a team. Wouldn't be shocked if Monsanto plays in the NBA at some point. He's going to be much improved with a full year of recovery. Not overstating it by describing Monsanto as an unstoppable scoring force. He's also got good size and can rebound. If you aren't excited about a full season of a healthy Damari Monsanto in 2023, not sure what to tell you. Also, while every player with eligibility may not return, fair to assume that at least a couple will. Add Monsanto, Hildreth to some combination of the Davien, Isaiah, Dallas and Jake, Marsh, and a bigger role for McCray, and that team does not need the transfer haul like last year's team did. WF does need help from the portal, and will get it, but WF doesn't need to find the next ACCPOY and another all-star through the portal to be an NCAA team next year.

IMO we need to land two impact portal players and get our key returnees back. I'm optimistic that Forbes will be able to target some guys in the transfer portal and point to the huge success he had in transforming former portal players into stars. This team remains RIPE with opportunity for playing time for transfers immediately after a year where our transfers got TONS of shine. ACC Player of the Year. Honorable Mention 6th Man of the Year. ACC Second Team and in NBA Draft converersations.

So you're relying on the 8th man instead?

I agree with your skepticism. Part of the frustration of this season is to see Forbes, Williams, and LaRavia get individual honors from the success of the transfer portal but what Miami get the team success. But it's not far-fetched to expect the guys we know are returning to improve and to be a better team overall.

Not relying on Hildreth, just replying to Pilchard.

My expectations for Monsanto are somewhat tempered compared to what others seem to expect, but I have no problem believing he will be either 1st or 2nd on the team in points. I also love his athleticism and rebounding ability. If we keep Walton, Jake, and one of Davien/Mucius and add a real PG, I think our roster is better than last season.

WFU Men's Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction Thread - Player Meetings This Week?

We gotta get Justice Hill. Murray State PG. Make it happen, Steve!

Last edited:
Agree with Pilchard. As well as Monsanto played at times, he could not possibly have been in peak physical condition. He missed a ton of practice and game time over many months due to his injury. It surprised me how much he played, frankly. Give him a full-offseason of workouts and a fresh start next fall and he will undoubtedly present a much bigger threat.

Did Marsh have knee surgery after the season? I saw him at the baseball game the other night and he is wearing a huge brace on his leg (not foot).

Did Marsh have knee surgery after the season? I saw him at the baseball game the other night and he is wearing a huge brace on his leg (not foot).

Reported that he had a sprained MCL during NIT.

I'm not sure this sentence is going to come across exactly as I mean it, but here goes:

We can be a worse team next year and still make the NCAAs (and perhaps have a better season).

We screwed ourselves with the weak OOC schedule, lack of big wins, and untimely losses... Those things can change, we can have a worse KP/Torvik, and still have a better season.

100% agree. As it was, WF was the 2nd best KP team to not make the NCAAT. There were a ton of schools that had worse seasons, but got at-large bids.

Monsanto was on the bench because he started the season in a boot. He was the SOCON ROY in 2021 and can play. (FWIW, Alondes was Oklahoma's 7th man last year, and relying on him worked out pretty well this past year).

Monsanto has the type of talent that can carry a team. Wouldn't be shocked if Monsanto plays in the NBA at some point. He's going to be much improved with a full year of recovery. Not overstating it by describing Monsanto as an unstoppable scoring force. He's also got good size and can rebound. If you aren't excited about a full season of a healthy Damari Monsanto in 2023, not sure what to tell you. Also, while every player with eligibility may not return, fair to assume that at least a couple will. Add Monsanto, Hildreth to some combination of the Davien, Isaiah, Dallas and Jake, Marsh, and a bigger role for McCray, and that team does not need the transfer haul like last year's team did. WF does need help from the portal, and will get it, but WF doesn't need to find the next ACCPOY and another all-star through the portal to be an NCAA team next year.

Well, based on this post, Monsanto is screwed, as is Wake.

Really don't see how we'll be worse off with TOs with Monsanto replacing ManMan. He's less ball reliant and a good passer -- no true distributor on the team, but the ball might move quicker? A healthy Monsanto would have been 3rd option last year. If LaRavia comes back a LaRavia/Monsanto top 2 will be trouble for a lot of folks. Would take Walton back first, then Williamson, then Mucius (though would take them all). If everyone comes back I think we're top 5 in the conference again, at least. It would be an old, experienced, deep team. TOs and rebounding would still be issues, but I think we'd be pretty good.

Last year, we lost to ND in the ACC Tourney on Tuesday, March 9th.

Neath was in the portal 2 days later.

I have to think we start hearing some things this week.

Really don't see how we'll be worse off with TOs with Monsanto replacing ManMan. He's less ball reliant and a good passer -- no true distributor on the team, but the ball might move quicker? A healthy Monsanto would have been 3rd option last year. If LaRavia comes back a LaRavia/Monsanto top 2 will be trouble for a lot of folks. Would take Walton back first, then Williamson, then Mucius (though would take them all). If everyone comes back I think we're top 5 in the conference again, at least. It would be an old, experienced, deep team. TOs and rebounding would still be issues, but I think we'd be pretty good.

We will, of course, miss ManMan, but in addition to leading the ACC in points scored and assists, he also lead the ACC in turnovers. Hopefully we will value the basketball better next year.

I'm not sure this sentence is going to come across exactly as I mean it, but here goes:

We can be a worse team next year and still make the NCAAs (and perhaps have a better season).

We screwed ourselves with the weak OOC schedule, lack of big wins, and untimely losses... Those things can change, we can have a worse KP/Torvik, and still have a better season.
We didn't screw ourselves. We got screwed. The ACC is shit marketing campaign by the SEC and Big Shit started with football and carried right over to hoops. Should be priority number one in league meetings to get the counter plan. It's a fucking problem. The proof is in the final four. Our League just lies back and takes this shit. SEC been doing it for years in football. Now the Big Shit does it too and in two sports.

Last year, we lost to ND in the ACC Tourney on Tuesday, March 9th.

Neath was in the portal 2 days later.

I have to think we start hearing some things this week.

Agree with this, for those who may be looking to move down in competition or for possible incoming recruits.

The deadline to apply for the NBA draft is April 24th at midnight; the deadline to withdraw from consideration and maintain collegiate eligibility is June 1st at midnight

Back