• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

Buddy of mine saw our seniors downtown this weekend. He congratulated, told them how much he appreciated them bringing us back to relevance, and started telling all of them to come back. He said he ended up on the patio with Walton and Walton seemed to definitely be weighing his option for coming back. Not really any scoop...But it's something.

Should have made it more clear, but that's part of what I was referring to by saying "make something out of nothing."

But I think it's a bit beyond that -- none of the guys who are eligible to return have really shown the ability to make their own shot or create for others "from scratch" -- LaRavia can a bit with his spin moves / back to the basket game and Monsanto can get threes up, but nobody can really create off the bounce or be an affective lead guy in the pick and roll.

And then the other weird thing we have are dudes who aren't neither good rebounders nor passable ball handlers in Walton and Mucius. I'm actually really excited about Monsanto in part because of his ability to grab boards which is sorely needed.

But basically my point is you can play so many of these useful, but limited role players. With someone like ManMan, you could get away with playing two, sometimes three on the court at a time. Without a special player like that, I think it can be tough to play more than one at a time or you end up with some major deficiencies. In conclusion, we need to go get some high-caliber players from the portal who can bring out the best in our role players.

Williams was probably the best creator in the conference, so that's a high bar. I'm assuming that without him we'll have to run more of an offense to get shots but that's normal for most college basketball teams.

Bradley played a meh schedule overall, but they here's what Roberts did against NCAAT teams:

South Dakota State - 15 pts (6/18 FG), 4 reb, 5 ast/5 TO, 3 stl
Colorado State - 24 pts (10/16 FG), 6 reb, 2 ast/1 TO, 1 stl
Loyola Chicago (1/8) - 6 pts (2/13 FG), 4 reb, 4 ast/4 TO, 1 blk, 3 stl
Loyola Chicago (2/9) - 11 pts (5/9 FG), 4 reb, 4 ast/2 TO, 2 stl
Loyola Chicago (3/4) - 17 pts (5/12 FG), 2 reb, 2 ast/6 TO, 3 stl

Hammond was a bit more successful, though Niagara didn't really play anybody either:

Xavier - 25 pts (9/17 FG), 6 reb, 1 ast/8 TO, 1 stl
Ohio State - 22 pts (7/14 FG), 6 reb, 3 ast/3 TO
Colgate - 21 pts (7/11 FG), 9 reb, 6 ast/1 TO, 1 stl
St Peter's (1/21) - 21 pts (6/10 FG), 8 reb, 2 ast/5 TO, 1 stl, 1 blk
St. Peter's (2/27) - 14 pts (5/17 FG), 6 reb, 4 ast/1 TO, 2 stl

I probably personally lean a bit closer towards Roberts of the two because his competition was better across the board and he seems like he's got more upside. Hammond's ceiling strikes me as a bit like Ian DuBose's.

FO9-xQtXwAkCBHc

Love to see it. We need more Deacs in the NBA. I wonder what kind of precedent there is out there for guys putting their name in for the draft and then coming back to their original school... vs putting their name in the draft and then coming back to college but going to the transfer portal. With this announcement the piranhas will be swarming for sure.

I dont think we need to worry about him getting drafted. I like that he is keeping the option open to return.

WFU Men's Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction Thread - Player Meetings This Week?

Yeah. The only bad outcome is if Mucius enters the portal.

Gotta assume the floodgates will open and we’ll find out about the rest of the roster. Nervous and exciting times.

Curbelo from Illinois hit the portal. He can be a star and can handle the rock. The only concern is he spent a bunch of time on the bench so not sure what the issue was with Underwood.

This is not surprising at all. Forbes said him self in one of his pressers that he expects all three of the seniors to put their name and see what’s up. The real issue would be Zay and others going to Europe to start earning money now.

I would not be surprised to see 6 Wake guys put their names in the draft: Manman, Sy, Walton, Williamson, Zay and Jake.

Zay is first. Glad he's leaving the door back to Wake open.

The players with no more eligibility (Alondes and Sy) don’t need to declare for the draft.

I wonder how much the War in Ukraine will affect the thought processes of some of the borderline guys who would in most years make a good living in Europe. Between that and the extra COVID year that a lot of them have, it might mean more of those guys come back to school for one more year until things are more settled overseas.

Sounds like we can cross Jalen Bridges off our list of potential additions...

Jake at 44 and Alondes at 48 in this draft projection

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft (the site is updated daily but the rankings I just posted were updated on 3/26 - prior to Zeke's announcement)

I agree with other posters that Jake could easily become a lottery pick if he stays another year. There is a pretty fantastic set pay scale for NBA rookies drafted in the first round (1st pick $8.4M down to 30th pick $1.6M. Second round picks are in the $900k range, with some earning above $1M. The guaranteed money is way way better for a first round pick. I think if I was him I'd put my name it and wait and see what happens with the Wake roster. Getting some more talent around me would be very important.

Jake at 44 and Alondes at 48 in this draft projection

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft (the site is updated daily but the rankings I just posted were updated on 3/26 - prior to Zeke's announcement)

I agree with other posters that Jake could easily become a lottery pick if he stays another year. There is a pretty fantastic set pay scale for NBA rookies drafted in the first round (1st pick $8.4M down to 30th pick $1.6M. Second round picks are in the $900k range, with some earning above $1M. The guaranteed money is way way better for a first round pick. I think if I was him I'd put my name it and wait and see what happens with the Wake roster. Getting some more talent around me would be very important.

Very unlikely that LaRavia will play his way anywhere close to the lottery. He is already 22. He will be 23 during the 2023 draft. Teams very rarely spend a lottery pick on players that old. There have not been more than a handful of 23 year olds taken in the lottery in the last 15 years or so.

I agree with other posters that Jake could easily become a lottery pick if he stays another year.

This is something college fans tell themselves about their team’s player to convince themselves that their guy should/will come back another year. If any NBA scouts agreed that there is a high likelihood Jake improves enough 12 months from now to be a lottery-type talent, he’d be getting projected a lot higher than 44.

NBA teams are already oftentimes drafting based on perceived potential, so if they thought he had that sort of lottery upside with one more year of improvement in college, they’d just draft him this year.

This is something college fans tell themselves about their team’s player to convince themselves that their guy should/will come back another year. If any NBA scouts agreed that there is a high likelihood Jake improves enough 12 months from now to be a lottery-type talent, he’d be getting projected a lot higher than 44.

NBA teams are already oftentimes drafting based on perceived potential, so if they thought he had that sort of lottery upside with one more year of improvement in college, they’d just draft him this year.

Maybe not lottery but he could easily play himself into the first round - and that would be a huge jump in pay and security.

Back