• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction - +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

Think the OOC SOS was also a bad headline for us. Felt a little like the year the press dogged on Syracuse for not playing a true road game OOC and they went to the NIT. I expect that’s a “learning experience” for us and we see some positive adjustments when the 22-23 schedule is released.

I think he did a phenomenal job scheduling so we could get our legs after a 6 win season. WTF knew what we had last summer when he was setting the schedule? Lots of factors and he is building.

I think he did a phenomenal job scheduling so we could get our legs after a 6 win season. WTF knew what we had last summer when he was setting the schedule? Lots of factors and he is building.

Admittedly, my comment has a lot of what Annie Duke calls ‘resulting’. The rationale for the decision at the time it was made was defensible (tons of new players, not a lot of success last year, need to create/build some positions ). By March, it ends up getting talked about, but only because the team really exceeded the expectations of just about everyone.

While the scheduling might not have been an incorrect decision, and there’s many elements of chance to OOC, I still think that low OOC SOS was a negative we faced (along with the perception of the conference) when we were on the bubble (which most of us probably did not expect in October).

Based on this article, sounds like Forbes is going to take a different tact next year, so that we won’t find ourselves facing similar criticism. http://https://greensboro.com/sports/college/wfu/wake-forests-steve-forbes-looking-ahead-after-turnaround-season-with-his-mens-basketball-program/article_890eeff9-fffc-5097-9aa6-4688851fe451.html

Admittedly, my comment has a lot of what Annie Duke calls ‘resulting’. The rationale for the decision at the time it was made was defensible (tons of new players, not a lot of success last year, need to create/build some positions ). By March, it ends up getting talked about, but only because the team really exceeded the expectations of just about everyone.

While the scheduling might not have been an incorrect decision, and there’s many elements of chance to OOC, I still think that low OOC SOS was a negative we faced (along with the perception of the conference) when we were on the bubble (which most of us probably did not expect in October).

Based on this article, sounds like Forbes is going to take a different tact next year, so that we won’t find ourselves facing similar criticism. http://https://greensboro.com/sports/college/wfu/wake-forests-steve-forbes-looking-ahead-after-turnaround-season-with-his-mens-basketball-program/article_890eeff9-fffc-5097-9aa6-4688851fe451.html

There was a confluence of multiple factors that kept Wake out. The ACC overall had bad early OOC record. Hence, ACC teams didn't have the records to be quad 1 and quad 2 wins when Wake beat them.

Wake's P5 OOC opponents were worse than expected, again depriving Wake quad 1/quad 2 games.

Some of the OOC "cupcakes" ended up being worse than expected when scheduled. So instead of a win over a team ranked 175-200, it was a win over a team ranked 300+.
The ACC proved to be stronger than its early season record indicated.
Wake was probably a better team in early February than in March. Alondes' turf toe injury happened at very bad monent.

reading more about bradford i’m getting more optimistic.

random k state fan:

I sure wish we could have kept Davion. This guy was a good basketball player and really impressed his freshman year. Once again, the ole Weber bad luck conundrum struck. Can you believe the young man was hit with pneumonia (was it covid related?) right before last season began? I can.

A healthy Davion was all last year's team needed to finish top half of the conference. At any rate, Bruce had to rush Davion back into the lineup because, as usual, he was fighting for his job and all of his assistants jobs. Davion, in his weakened state, was out of sync and I believe this affected his confidence. By the end of the season, Davion looked like a beast and was in good condition but, alas, it was too late. I believe he will do very well .

i know our staff is very proud of our S&C facilities/program/culture which should pay dividends

Losing to Clemson and BC at the end of the year sealed our NIT fate.

So true and had a huge win at home against Miami where we quit doing in the second half what got us the big first half lead!
But when you shit the bed like we did in ACCT vs BC and blow a 10 pt lead with 6 to play by as Jake said “playing lackadasical and quit playing defense”, you show you aren’t ready to the Committee.

It’s not like we need Bradford to be NPOY. That’s on Hildreth. A simple 15/9/4 with 2.7 blocks/game will be fine from Davion.

Nah. LaRavia coming back to pick up that hardware.

I expect us to finish 2nd to last with Pitt being last. This team is just not good defensively. We will probably have less then 10 wins for the season. There will be coaching and player frustration. Jake is not coming back so stop the hope. Here's the beginning of the end again. Going to be s#$& show guaranteed.

Forbes used the same basic formula for recruiting this year that he did last year. He recruited experienced players to fill out his starting lineup. Ituka and Appleby at guard. Carr and Bradford are the bigs. Monsanto is the experienced holdover at wing. With the exception of Ituka, all have at least two years of experience. An added bonus is that with the exception of Appleby, all have three years of eligibility remaining. Hildreth, McCray, Taylor and Marsh return with experience playing in Forbes system and eager for PT. They will also benefit from leading the newcomers into a new style of play. This should develop cohesion. Klintman and Keller get to watch and learn with a clear understanding they will be needed for frontcourt depth. The fact that every player besides Appleby has at least 3 years of eligibility remaining is by design. Forbes now has the pieces to develop an experienced, talented team without making wholesale roster changes every year. Big benefit.

The return of Davien Williamson and/or Jake Laravia is icing on the cake.

I LOVE the optimism, but I don't see how anyone that has watched Wake for the last decade expects losing fewer than 3-4 players to transfers/leaving early. Every year someone leaves early without real evidence of bring drafted, and every year multiple players transfer, whether they played meaningful minutes or not.

This isn't a dig on anyone, players or coaches...it's just the truth.

If you think Forbes won't need to hit the portal every year for at least 2-3 players, then you're fooling yourself.

I expect us to finish 2nd to last with Pitt being last. This team is just not good defensively. We will probably have less then 10 wins for the season. There will be coaching and player frustration. Jake is not coming back so stop the hope. Here's the beginning of the end again. Going to be s#$& show guaranteed.

you-are-so-dumb-you-are-really-dumb.gif

Normally, William's red shoes would be the most eye-popping sartorial gem in this picture, but you just can't ignore Forbes' XXL untucked Tommy Bahama shirt for Graduation Day festiveness.

Given the makeup of this team I think a big leap forward in 23-24 is more likely than next year. But maybe the extra practices and the European trip this summer will help the team jell and develop ahead of schedule.

First I have heard about this. Nice. Chance for Euro exposure.

Good morning, sunshine.

I LOVE the optimism, but I don't see how anyone that has watched Wake for the last decade expects losing fewer than 3-4 players to transfers/leaving early. Every year someone leaves early without real evidence of bring drafted, and every year multiple players transfer, whether they played meaningful minutes or not.

This isn't a dig on anyone, players or coaches...it's just the truth.

If you think Forbes won't need to hit the portal every year for at least 2-3 players, then you're fooling yourself.

If you are trying to compare the Bz/Manning teams to Forbes teams so far and say it’s same old same old in terms of transfers that’s just not true at all.

Apples and oranges.

There has been nothing concerning about the guys leaving this off season. And this is just a different era.

I don't count Mucius or Williamson as "leaving early". They each played four years of college basketball, even if they could take an extra COVID year they may decide that they are done with college. That's fine. Laravia has a real chance to be drafted so it makes sense for him to leave. The only other person to leave is Whitt. And that one made sense.

So I don't really know what OblongPickle is talking about.

Back