• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 34: NIT Round of 16 -- VCU at LJVM -- 4 pm Saturday - ESPN+

Pilchard

Reaction score
The Deacs march back to Peter Luger's Steakhouse continues on Saturday afternoon as WF hosts VCU.

ALL_ZagatLovesBklyn_PeterLugers_2010_10_15_BKBCFREELANCEWEB.jpeg

That picture was taken after a shooting at PL's. Not kidding. PL's must be really good if people are waiting for a table the same day as a shooting on the premises.

Here is the skinny on Rams:

2021-22 Season: VCU -- 22-9 #64 in KP; #56 in Torvik. Props to whomever was responsible for setting up VCU's schedule. In their 11 OOC games, they played only 1 team rated 200 or below, and they were prescient at scheduling teams from lesser conferences that would have a good year. In their OOC schedule, VCU played NCAAT teams: St. Peter's (VCU won by 3), Chattanooga (lost by 2), Jacksonville State (won by 14), UCONN (lost by 7 in OT), Baylor (lost by 8). VCU also played NIT invite Vandy (won by 11). Even the "bad" teams VCU played weren't bad, Wagner went 21-6, Campbell went 16-13. VCU and WF have one common opponent: Syracuse. VCU beat the Orange (when they were fully healthy) 67-55 on a neutral court. WF beat Cuse in OT at home and got trucked by 22 in the Dome. VCU has had a solid season going 7-4 in a rigorous OOC schedule, and then 14-5 against A-10 teams. Like the Deacs, VCU was upset in its opening conference tourney game by local rival Richmond; the Spiders went on to win the A-10 tournament. The Rams dominated Princeton 90-79 in the NIT first round; VCU never trailed in the 2nd half.

Analytics: VCU is a all about defense. KP rates the Rams as the #6 defensive team in the country (#1 in the A-10). The five teams rated above VCU in defensive efficiency are in the NCAAT except for OK State, who was ineligible this season. VCU is the rare team that forces TOS (#4 in TO rate; VCU forces a TO on 25% of its opponents' defensive possessions), yet also plays elite FG% defense (#6 in the effective FG% defense). VCU is #4 in the nation at defending the 3 and #30 at defending the two point shot. VCU has two defensive weaknesses: because they are so aggressive, the Rams foul a lot (#319 in defensive FTA/FGA) and the Rams do not protect the glass (#330 in opponents offensive rebounding %). The VCU offense is another story. It's weak. #218 in offensive efficiency. Ironically, on offense, VCU struggles with... turnovers. Their offense cannot protect the ball (TOs on 22% of VCU's offensive possessions -- #341). When the Rams don't turn the ball over, they take the ball to the rack, as 58% of their offense comes from 2 point shots (#22 in the country). VCU plays at a moderate to fast tempo averaging 68 possessions a game.

Roster:

Rams starters:

PG 6-1 So. Ace Baldwin: Starter from Day 1 at VCU; 4 star recruit from Baltimore; leads team in assists and steals; shoots 43% from 3;
G 6-4 Fr. Jayden Nunn: Started first game as a true frosh; from Mich. committed to Iowa State and then flipped when the Cyclones fired their coach; erratic offensive player; 43% from 2; 33% from 3; active defensively
G 6-4 Sr. KeShawn Curry: Started for the first time as a senior; 56% from 2, but only 28% from 3; leading scorer against Princeton
G/F 6-6 Sr. Vince Williams: 2 year starter; lefty; leading scorer and rebounder; 2nd in assists and blocked shots; lots of TOs; 39% from 3;
C 6-9 Jr. Hason Ward: From Barbados; 1st blocks; 2nd in rebounding; not a big threat to score; 0 for 6 from 3

Bench:

F/C 6-9 Fr. Jalen DeLoach: limited offensively; has not attempted a 3; 29% from the line (not a misprint); most of his baskets are dunks; brother plays football at FSU
F/C 6-8 Sr. Levi Stockard: KS State transfer; doesn't shoot the 3; fouls a lot
G 6-3 Jr. Marcus Tsohonis: Washington transfer; 37% from 3; plays limited minutes

The Projection: KP projects a 73-68 WF win; Torvik projects a 73-67 WF win. Early line is WF -5.5.

Got to be a good team to beat VCU. They are talented, understand their system and bring it on defense for 40 minutes. Stating the obvious, the key to this game is TOs -- both ways. While VCU's defense is renown for causing TOs, the Rams offense gives up a ton of TOs as well. Expect a helter skelter game with lots of runs. WF will need to convert VCU TOs into easy baskets; WF will need to make FTs as VCU fouls often. VCU will force a lot of WF TOs. If WF can keep the TOs under 20 and if WF can get back on defense when VCU causes TOs, the Deacs can limit the points off TOs disparity. Also, VCU is an awful team at keeping opponents off the offensive glass, and WF will have a big size edge. Seems like this is a game where WF shots early in the possession would be a good thing as that will limit VCU TO opportunities, VCU plays stout half court D and WF should get lots of offensive rebounds. The team that VCU resembles most from WF's schedule is LSU; the ACC team that VCU resembles the most is Miami (Miami led the ACC in TOs forced). WF struggled in all 3 games against those opponents. To win a championship, even the NIT, which so many here ridiculously scoffed at, you have to beat teams that take you out of your comfort zone. VCU certainly takes WF out of its comfort zone, but with a couple of days to prepare, hope/think the staff will have the Deacs ready for VCU's ball pressure. Can't recommend WF ATS in this one. Just win.

As an aside, VCU is exactly the type of team that WF should schedule next year. They are a solid team, and will be a top 100 team again next year. Facing a challenging opponent like VCU, helps the scheduling metrics, but it also gets WF ready for the ball pressure that WF will face in conference and post-season play.

Last edited:
Should be a fun game. Can't say I feel great about our chances... This is the type of team that has given us a lot of problems given our lack of capable ballhandlers and propensity to turn it over.

But it's still a game we should win at home. Hope we come ready to play.

When Williams and Curry are making shots, VCU is really tough. Of the two, I would say you have to stop Williams first. They seem to feed off of him.

They may press us, but unlike Towson, I don’t think they’ll fall back into a zone. We aren’t going to break the press consistently with the dribble (as we have proven all season that we suck at that). I really hope we are ready to pass over the top of it, and then attack the basket.

The Deacs march back to Peter Luger's Steakhouse continues on Saturday afternoon as WF hosts VCU.

That picture was taken after a shooting at PL's. Not kidding. PL's must be really good if people are waiting for a table the same day as a shooting on the premises.

Here is the skinny on Rams:

2021-22 Season: VCU -- 22-9 #64 in KP; #56 in Torvik. Props to whomever was responsible for setting up VCU's schedule. In their 11 OOC games, they played only 1 team rated 200 or below, and they were prescient at scheduling teams from lesser conferences that would have a good year. In their OOC schedule, VCU played NCAAT teams: St. Peter's (VCU won by 3), Chattanooga (lost by 2), Jacksonville State (won by 14), UCONN (lost by 7 in OT), Baylor (lost by 8). VCU also played NIT invite Vandy (won by 11). Even the "bad" teams VCU played weren't bad, Wagner went 21-6, Campbell went 16-13. VCU and WF have one common opponent: Syracuse. VCU beat the Orange (when they were fully healthy) 67-55 on a neutral court. WF beat Cuse in OT at home and got trucked by 22 in the Dome. VCU has had a solid season going 7-4 in a rigorous OOC schedule, and then 14-5 against A-10 teams. Like the Deacs, VCU was upset in its opening conference tourney game by local rival Richmond; the Spiders went on to win the A-10 tournament. The Rams dominated Princeton 90-79 in the NIT first round; VCU never trailed in the 2nd half.

Analytics: VCU is a all about defense. KP rates the Rams as the #6 defensive team in the country (#1 in the A-10). The five teams rated above VCU in defensive efficiency are in the NCAAT except for OK State, who was ineligible this season. VCU is the rare team that forces TOS (#4 in TO rate; VCU forces a TO on 25% of its opponents' defensive possessions), yet also plays elite FG% defense (#6 in the effective FG% defense). VCU is #4 in the nation at defending the 3 and #30 at defending the two point shot. VCU has two defensive weaknesses: because they are so aggressive, the Rams foul a lot (#319 in defensive FTA/FGA) and the Rams do not protect the glass (#330 in opponents offensive rebounding %). The VCU offense is another story. It's weak. #218 in offensive efficiency. Ironically, on offense, VCU struggles with... turnovers. Their offense cannot protect the ball (TOs on 22% of VCU's offensive possessions -- #341). When the Rams don't turn the ball over, they take the ball to the rack, as 58% of their offense comes from 2 point shots (#22 in the country). VCU plays at a moderate to fast tempo averaging 68 possessions a game.

Roster:

Rams starters:

PG 6-1 So. Ace Baldwin: Starter from Day 1 at VCU; 4 star recruit from Baltimore; leads team in assists and steals; shoots 43% from 3;
G 6-4 Fr. Jayden Nunn: Started first game as a true frosh; from Mich. committed to Iowa State and then flipped when the Cyclones fired their coach; erratic offensive player; 43% from 2; 33% from 3; active defensively
G 6-4 Sr. KeShawn Curry: Started for the first time as a senior; 56% from 2, but only 28% from 3; leading scorer against Princeton
G/F 6-6 Sr. Vince Williams: 2 year starter; lefty; leading scorer and rebounder; 2nd in assists and blocked shots; lots of TOs; 39% from 3;
C 6-9 Jr. Hason Ward: From Barbados; 1st blocks; 2nd in rebounding; not a big threat to score; 0 for 6 from 3

Bench:

F/C 6-9 Fr. Jalen DeLoach: limited offensively; has not attempted a 3; 29% from the line (not a misprint); most of his baskets are dunks; brother plays football at FSU
F/C 6-8 Sr. Levi Stockard: KS State transfer; doesn't shoot the 3; fouls a lot
G 6-3 Jr. Marcus Tsohonis: Washington transfer; 37% from 3; plays limited minutes

The Projection: KP projects a 73-68 WF win; Torvik projects a 73-67 WF win. Early line is WF -5.5.

Got to be a good team to beat VCU. They are talented, understand their system and bring it on defense for 40 minutes. Stating the obvious, the key to this game is TOs -- both ways. While VCU's defense is renown for causing TOs, the Rams offense gives up a ton of TOs as well. Expect a helter skelter game with lots of runs. WF will need to convert VCU TOs into easy baskets; WF will need to make FTs as VCU fouls often. VCU will force a lot of WF TOs. If WF can keep the TOs under 20 and if WF can get back on defense when VCU causes TOs, the Deacs can limit the points off TOs disparity. Also, VCU is an awful team at keeping opponents off the offensive glass, and WF will have a big size edge. Seems like this is a game where WF shots early in the possession would be a good thing as that will limit VCU TO opportunities, VCU plays stout half court D and WF should get lots of offensive rebounds. The team that VCU resembles most from WF's schedule is LSU; the ACC team that VCU resembles the most is Miami (Miami led the ACC in TOs forced). WF struggled in all 3 games against those opponents. To win a championship, even the NIT, which so many here ridiculously scoffed at, you have to beat teams that take you out of your comfort zone. VCU certainly takes WF out of its comfort zone, but with a couple of days to prepare, hope/think the staff will have the Deacs ready for VCU's ball pressure. Can't recommend WF ATS in this one. Just win.

As an aside, VCU is exactly the type of team that WF should schedule next year. They are a solid team, and will be a top 100 team again next year. Facing a challenging opponent like VCU, helps the scheduling metrics, but it also gets WF ready for the ball pressure that WF will face in conference and post-season play.

If you like shootings and NY steakhouses, you cannot beat Spark's. Site of the demise of a Gambino family member.

Love Jake, but he has no business bringing the ball up against a press. And I really hope Alondes is more aggressive pushing the ball into a double team before picking up his dribble.

If we put Sy/Jake in the middle with Dallas back and Mucius/Monsanto in the corner, I'd expect to see Cam/Daivien/Alondes attack the press and make long outlet passes if trapped. We should be better against the press than we are...not sure I understand why it gives us problems.

Deacs 81
VCU 65

Had dinner at Sparks following the Pinstripe Bowl.

And it wasn't just the site of the demise of a Gambino family member.

It was where the Gambino Boss (Big Paul Castellano) was executed upon orders from capo John Gotti.

I used to live a block away from Peter Luger's

Anyways - I'm worried about VCU, their strengths line up well against our weaknesses

Had dinner at Sparks following the Pinstripe Bowl.

And it wasn't just the site of the demise of a Gambino family member.

It was where the Gambino Boss (Big Paul Castellano) was executed upon orders from capo John Gotti.

I was staying a block away from Sparks the night of the Castellano murder. Sirens about all night it seemed.

I used to live a block away from Peter Luger's

Anyways - I'm worried about VCU, their strengths line up well against our weaknesses

I do like the stat about them being terrible at turning over the ball. Hopefully our length on defense can create some TOs and we can get out in transition before their defense can get set.

They seem to have a rather small team. We should be pounding it inside with mismatches.

That photo tells me a lot about Peter Lugers, i.e. a crowd standing outside in tennis shoes and jeans waiting to get a table says tourist trap more so than high-end steak house. If I'm going to spend that kind of $$ on a meal, I want to be as far away as possible who look like me on my average trip to the Golden Corral.

They seem to have a rather small team. We should be pounding it inside with mismatches.

We'll see a lot of zone I would imagine (any coach that doesn't play zone against us is crazy). We have to take better care of the ball and need to handle the press better then we did Wednesday.

Just a short note in the event that our team does make it back to NYC. Avoid Luger's. Sparks is the place to go. Right there on 46th Street off Third Avenue, south side of the street. Short walk from Grand Central. My wife (may she rest in peace) and I went there once a week for 35 years. Her office was on Third Avenue and her window looked down toward the restaurant. Yes, she heard the gunshots and all that. Anyway, she would call when she was ready to leave work and if I could get out I would meet her there. My office was farther up Third Avenue. In all that time, we may have had one bad meal there. Everybody has an off night, right? But in all the other visits it was top notch. It probably helped that they knew us after a while (the waiters like a pretty girl, even when the pretty girl ages), and put up with me despite my lack of looks or charm. If you slip the maitre' d a twenty or a fifty now and then that also helps.

if you're going to NYC and doing fancy meals at steakhouses, you're doing it wrong

Just a short note in the event that our team does make it back to NYC. Avoid Luger's. Sparks is the place to go. Right there on 46th Street off Third Avenue, south side of the street. Short walk from Grand Central. My wife (may she rest in peace) and I went there once a week for 35 years. Her office was on Third Avenue and her window looked down toward the restaurant. Yes, she heard the gunshots and all that. Anyway, she would call when she was ready to leave work and if I could get out I would meet her there. My office was farther up Third Avenue. In all that time, we may have had one bad meal there. Everybody has an off night, right? But in all the other visits it was top notch. It probably helped that they knew us after a while (the waiters like a pretty girl, even when the pretty girl ages), and put up with me despite my lack of looks or charm. If you slip the maitre' d a twenty or a fifty now and then that also helps.

We're up there a few years ago we couldn't get in to Luger's so we went to Wolfgang's and it was excellent.

Back