• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Trip Advice (Wife's birthday)

forensicdeac

Reaction score
My wife turns the big 40 soon and I think my gift will be a trip. She is flying back East to have a party with friends and then will have another celebration with our West Coast friends.

So far I am thinking about a trip for 2 to Hawaii. Upside: we both want to go and have never been. Downside: we have been talking about taking the family there ever since we moved to California.

Other options:
Trip to Beverly Hills. Pros: Her favorite movie is Pretty Woman. We could go luxury and just live the movie star lifestyle for a few days. Cons: Doesn't sound very exciting on the front end so perhaps not the best "wow effect" to show off to friends.

San Diego? Other West Coast Spots?

She is not a fan of Vegas (doesn't realize the possibilities) and passports are out of date.

Any thoughts? I am sure some of you do. Haha.

wine country is a fantastic idea and a great trip. I suspect you could get 30-40 winery recommendations in 10 minutes on this board.

but did you say you live in California? Your location says Coolumbia. maybe not that big of a wow factor to take your wife to wine country then if you can do it any time you want.

PIITB of course

Not to mention taking her to Pound Town.
But seriously, we recently enjoyed a visit to the Colorado Springs area: direct flights from most airports to Denver, and lots of interesting/not too touristy places within a few hours drive in the Front Range.

wine country is a fantastic idea and a great trip. I suspect you could get 30-40 winery recommendations in 10 minutes on this board.

but did you say you live in California? Your location says Coolumbia. maybe not that big of a wow factor to take your wife to wine country then if you can do it any time you want.

If you're going to wine country, pm Toogs. That guy knows his shit.

have you considered gaslighting her into thinking she missed her birthday and she already had a great time doing a thing?

CA/close to home recs: San Diego/La Jolla, Santa Barbara/Paso Robles/SLO/Central Coast wine country, Big Sur/Carmel/Monterrey/Half Moon Bay. All could be awesome trips.

Kauai for more adventure Hawaii (one of the cooler places on earth). Maui for nice resorts/relaxing (and still plenty to explore).

I could be wrong, but doesn't forensic live in Sonoma County or thereabouts?

I could be wrong, but doesn't forensic live in Sonoma County or thereabouts?

yeah he said california but his location is COOLumbia. So i assume it's NorCal if he's talking about going to LA or San Diego.

Italy is a good suggestion although it's a long trip from California and "passports are expired."

yeah he said california but his location is COOLumbia. So i assume it's NorCal if he's talking about going to LA or San Diego.

Italy is a good suggestion although it's a long trip from California and "passports are expired."

I think I remember some posts on the CT or somewhere about him moving out to NorCal transitioning from the East Coast and the big COL changes

Ha. I just corrected my location in my profile. Yes, I live in the middle of wine country in California. We haven't really explored Southern California other than for work trips. Of course, we haven't really done any good trips since we moved West bc of covid.

Gateway Canyons in Colorado. We went for my wife's birthday a few years ago and we are going back this June. Good lord it's awesome. For a couple (not big on it for families with young kids) it oozes romance my man. Look into it.

https://www.gatewaycanyons.com/

Last edited:
Hmm…you do y’all…but I’d consider a close-by romantic getaway like the Bath Suite at the Whale Watch Inn in Gualala. Beautiful, romantic setting, save the travel money…score.

There are, of course, plenty of nice places in and near Sonoma County. The above is just one we’ve enjoyed.

Regardless, congratulations on the celebration.

Back