• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Foo Fighter Taylor Hawkins Dies

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
Hawkins died right before show in Bogata Columbia. No details available but a devastating loss for one of if not the biggest rock band in world.

Pretty sure this kills my date with them in Charlotte in May.

This was brutal news. The guy always had a huge smile on his face. Awful loss for his family, and obviously another huge loss for Dave Grohl.

Sucks. I thought it was a joke at first and had to check to make sure it wasn't April 1. Because a fake death is such a funny April Fools joke, I guess. Sheez.

Wouldn't be surprised to see somebody step in for the gigs. Big loss, but lots of $ on the line for the band as well as for Taylor's wife and kids.

I really hope it wasn't drugs, but not sure if a weakened heart due to past drug use makes it any better.

I can't speak to his technical prowess as a drummer and I'm not going to claim to be a mega fan, but I can't think of another musician that looked more thrilled to be doing what he was doing.

Terrible situation, and I also hope it wasn't drugs or suicide.

I remember when Chester Bennington died. That one hit me hard. I have always been a huge Linkin Park fan (whether that is "uncool" to you guys or not, I don't care).

They came out when I was in high school and really helped me through some tough times. They were arguably the biggest band, or at least top 5 of the last two decades, so it was a really big deal, just like this is. It was hard to see the Foo Fighters without Hawkin's smiling face and he was hilarious in their videos.

Linkin Park is probably done as a group (though they are supposedly making new music), but it is more likely that Foo Fighters can continue (eventually) with a replacement drummer, (whether they want to or not is the question). I can't imagine how hard that would be.

And poor Dave Grohl...if this is another suicide by a bandmate, it could really fuck him up.

10 different drugs in his system and one was apparently heroin. He OD’d from heroin 20 years ago and was in a coma for days.

I’m a huge Foos fan and happened to meet Taylor back in 2016 when I was in Boston to see them at Fenway. We just happened to sit at the table next to the band at Legal Seafood the night before the concert. We ended up talking to the band for a good while and Taylor especially. I have a picture of me and Taylor on my desk. He was incredibly nice and friendly.

Very sad. I’m sure this is the end of the Foo Fighters. I would be beyond shocked if Dave kept the band going. No way. I’m sure eventually he will start another project but it won’t be Foo fighters.

When Dave started Foo Fighters, it was just him on drums for the first two albums. And just him on everything for the first. There are too many people depending on Foo Fighters Inc. to pay the bills, to include the other bandmates and the family of Taylor Hawkins. I suspect they will continue after a break, use the tour for guest drummers and maybe to audition some (Taylor surely has a drum tech), and then make a decision accordingly after that.

ZZ Top didn't skip a beat when 1/3rd of them died. AC/DC kicked Brian Johnson out of the band after 40 years and brought in Axl Rose to finish the dates (before bringing Brian back). The reason they do that is not to be callous or to be dicks, but because a lot of people depend on them to pay the bills. And lots of bands like the Stones continued following the death of a member. Hell, even the Who after Keith Moon.

I like to party, but ten different drugs in your system seems like a lot. I'll be stopping at six.

And the Dead after Pigpen, Keith, Brent........................

I'm not saying it's impossible, but that is pretty quick turnaround on a full toxicology workup. A completed tox report would require a screening test and a set of confirmation tests. All work should go through a QA/QC review and then the report written up and reviewed before being released. At least that is the standard for releasing tox results by an accredited lab.

From what I have seen the 10 drugs were indicated in a urine screen. However, urine and blood/tissue results vary greatly in their interpretation regarding cause of death. We'll have to wait and see what the final report says.

The difference is that Taylor was Dave's best friend and the 2 of them pretty much drove that band. It's possible they will continue in some fashion but I highly doubt it. Led Zeppelin is a good example. Foo Fighters do not need to tour and make any more records to feed the families of Taylor or anyone else in or close to that band for the next 100 years. They all will go on to other projects anyway but it just won't be Foo Fighters by name anymore. I've watched every documentary many times each and read every book that's been out on anything Dave has ever been involved with and I am betting hard against Foos continuing. But it's certainly possible. Dave is friends with pretty much every musician in the country so he will have a million avenues and he certainly could replace Taylor with a stud drummer in minutes. If he replaces Taylor I would think it will be with someone very well-known or he will rotate drummers or even play drums himself and get a singer. My guess is that Dave will cut against the grain somehow like he likes to do and start a project or projects that will be completely different than expected.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but that is pretty quick turnaround on a full toxicology workup. A completed tox report would require a screening test and a set of confirmation tests. All work should go through a QA/QC review and then the report written up and reviewed before being released. At least that is the standard for releasing tox results by an accredited lab.

From what I have seen the 10 drugs were indicated in a urine screen. However, urine and blood/tissue results vary greatly in their interpretation regarding cause of death. We'll have to wait and see what the final report says.

I think the band members said Taylor was back on heroin.

The difference is that Taylor was Dave's best friend and the 2 of them pretty much drove that band. It's possible they will continue in some fashion but I highly doubt it. Led Zeppelin is a good example. Foo Fighters do not need to tour and make any more records to feed the families of Taylor or anyone else in or close to that band for the next 100 years. They all will go on to other projects anyway but it just won't be Foo Fighters by name anymore. I've watched every documentary many times each and read every book that's been out on anything Dave has ever been involved with and I am betting hard against Foos continuing. But it's certainly possible. Dave is friends with pretty much every musician in the country so he will have a million avenues and he certainly could replace Taylor with a stud drummer in minutes. If he replaces Taylor I would think it will be with someone very well-known or he will rotate drummers or even play drums himself and get a singer. My guess is that Dave will cut against the grain somehow like he likes to do and start a project or projects that will be completely different than expected.

Sounds like a Matt Cameron incoming.

I can't speak to his technical prowess as a drummer and I'm not going to claim to be a mega fan, but I can't think of another musician that looked more thrilled to be doing what he was doing.

I've been drumming 43 years and I can say with confidence he was a monster of a rock drummer. And yeah he was a rock star through and through, dude was born to do what he did. I love to smoke pot and drink but he's a fucking asshole for doing opiates and shit like that with a family and a band depending on him.

I agree with this take. I think he stops for a while then re-emerges with a new project. I had just started Grohl's book on Thursday, now I don't really want to pick it back up for a while. I did load up One by One and played along with it over the weekend in my studio, RIP to a great drummer

WakeandBake tbh you’re not missing much by not reading Dave’s book. I was really disappointed. It’s just story after story “I can’t believe I actually got to meet so and so and he was actually nice to me he knew who I was!” Over and over with a new musician in each chapter. I love Dave but that schtick is something he has leaned on way too much over the years to the point of being annoying and it’s really all the book talks about. He’s 100 times more famous and a better musician and songwriter than 90% of the folks he claims he’s in awe of meeting or jamming with. That’s really my only negative take on Dave.

Matt's is probably a little too busy with Pearl Jam. I could see Mike Portnoy I guess.

Ah ok, I could see that. I really love the first few foo records but honestly lost interest after One by One. And Dave’s “funnest/nicest guy in rock” schtick can be grating but hard rocker to dislike. Maybe I’ll skim it.

Back