• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson: “If you took away the name Wake Forest, we’d be a Preseason Top 10 team”

I mean, we lost three of our last six games, and the last two losses were by three touchdowns plus. That might have something to do with us not being ranked in the top ten too.

I mean, we lost three of our last six games, and the last two losses were by three touchdowns plus. That might have something to do with us not being ranked in the top ten too.

Agree, but love the fact that Clawson is not afraid to talk up his team. He is working the room to get as a high a pre-season ranking as possible. Makes sense. Just wish that this team didn't plays such a soft OOC schedule. Would be nice if WF played Ole Miss or even Purdue this year instead of Vandy.

True. But if a decent SEC or Big Ten program had the same record, they’d be top 10.

Agree, but love the fact that Clawson is not afraid to talk up his team. He is working the room to get as a high a pre-season ranking as possible. Makes sense. Just wish that this team didn't plays such a soft OOC schedule. Would be nice if WF played Ole Miss or even Purdue this year instead of Vandy.

Yep. I can definitely see football getting dinged for weak OOC like hoops.

Too lazy to go do the research but weren't we pre-season top 10 in at least one or two polls? Maybe they were polls created by some guy at his kitchen table but I swear I thought I saw at least one poll with us top 10.

Either way, Clawson's point stands. If we can be undefeated, which we should, going into the Clemson game, that can become a tipping point for this program nationally. If we can ever get over that hump, I think the conversation changes. You just have to beat Clemson to be in the elite conversation.

Last edited:
Yeah. We were top 10 on a few “way too early” polls but I’d be shocked if we are top 10 in the actual preseason polls.

Go Dawgs

Yeah. We were top 10 on a few “way too early” polls but I’d be shocked if we are top 10 in the actual preseason polls.

I’d be shocked if we were top 20. We’ll be picked 4th in the division, too.

Nah. I think we'll be around #16 and 3rd in the division. Clemson will be #10 and State will be #15.

Losing twice to top 20 teams away from home, indefensible !

Who else, besides Clemson and NC State are in the conversation of teams in the division that will be better than Wake?

Good question. One strange/interesting quirk of our division is all 7 schools are returning their starting QBs. I don’t remember seeing that anywhere else before. So Louisville with Cunningham? Florida St because they’re Florida St?

In 2011, UGA lost their final two games by a combined 35 points and finished 19th and 20th in the AP and Coaches' polls, respectively. In 2012, they were preseason #6 in both polls.

If you want to be a top 10 team, you gotta win those games.

Maybe one I'll grant. But a whole lotta highly-ranked teams lose non-home games against other highly-ranked teams.

And of course, part of the calculus is that based on returning personnel we'll be better than Pitt, one of the teams we lost to. It's a different season

Who else, besides Clemson and NC State are in the conversation of teams in the division that will be better than Wake?

Its not a question of being better. I personally think we are co favorites along with Clemson and State to win the division. Pre season rankings are meaningless along with the people who rank them. I'm just predicting that we will be picked 4th because the voters will no doubt put FSU ahead of us.

I know FSU isn't what they were, but it isn't like they have been reeling in recruiting classes that were ranked 75th. I feel like they are 2 O-linemen and 1 DB away from being dangerous.

Its not a question of being better. I personally think we are co favorites along with Clemson and State to win the division. Pre season rankings are meaningless along with the people who rank them. I'm just predicting that we will be picked 4th because the voters will no doubt put FSU ahead of us.

yeah this is my thought. I'll be surprised if we're top 3, but it's an absolute lock that Clemson and State are ahead of us, and I wouldn't be shocked if State is picked to win the division. FSU is surely "back" by now, right?

Back