• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are you middle class?

No, so please tell my mother, as she thinks I am not utilizing my full potential in life.

I'm not, but it looks like we'd be doing even better without these two kids.

It appears that $115,000 is the threshold to be "upper" class for a 2 person household in Raleigh. That would be approximately 2x the average household income in Wake County.

There were no fields to deduct my wife's massive student loan payments and daycare for 3 kids.

The study says that I am middle class.

Based on your household income and the number of people in your household, YOU are in the MIDDLE income tier, along with 52% of adults in GREENSBORO-HIGH POINT.

Among all American adults with your education, age, race or ethnicity, and marital status, 6% are LOWER income, 54% are MIDDLE income and 39% are UPPER income.

I am not middle class. I would like to be, but there's no way someone with my assets and opportunities should be considered middle class.

Playing with the numbers, it looks like the "gross income" tipper is $185,000. That seems reasonable. I've long maintained that every dollar you make over $130,000/yr. matters way more than every dollar before it. Folks that make 200,000/yr are WAY better off than folks that make 150,000 a year. Difference is much less noticeable between $50,000 and $100,000; or $100,000 and $150,000.

39% UPPER and only 6% LOWER?

Must be nice to get a married white person in their late 30s/early 40s.

Right? It's all Au pairs and multi-million dollar farms. Literally can't go tits up.

Most people in the state department are single family federal government income, and if the spouse works, its normally minimal wage. So they would most likely be all in the Middle Class category. But the benefits it and opportunities it provides you would never guess it. Housing, schooling, official travel, is all covered when overseas. People joke about how the diplomat kids at the boarding schools are the poorest ones there, but are as just as well traveled as the children of nobility.

I am not middle class, as I am married to a highly overpaid lawyer.

I am apparently middle class on a graduate student stipend, which is either an indictment on the accuracy of this income calculator or a really depressing statement on what it means to be lower class.

Although my household size is 1 and I would be firmly lower class on this calculator if that was increased to 2+.

I am apparently middle class on a graduate student stipend, which is either an indictment on the accuracy of this income calculator or a really depressing statement on what it means to be lower class.

Although my household size is 1 and I would be firmly lower class on this calculator if that was increased to 2+.

do you have a nice stipend in an affordable city?

do you have a nice stipend in an affordable city?

The stipend is enough to have a decent quality of life given you are willing to have roommates, so yeah I suppose so.

It's still pretty close to paycheck to paycheck though, which I don't really associate with middle class, although maybe my idea of the definition of lower middle class is just wrong.

Back