• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are you pulling for UNC or Duke in the Final 4?

Are you pulling for UNC or Duke in the Final 4?

• Duke

Votes: 45 42.9%
  • UNC

Votes: 60 57.1%

• Total voters
I mean how can you not hope that Coach K lost his last game, and last home game to UNC? Fuck UNC but what could be a worse way to go for K than choking on his rivals D?

Yeah, people seem to think K will just disappear even if he goes out on top after Monday. The man is on a self created farewell tour where he gets mad if an opposing school does not honor him before each game. And people here seriously want to feed his ego and see him go out a national champion? There is no guarantee Kansas/Villanova will beat Duke in the final if they make it through UNC. You want Duke to lose as early as possible or you're going to be hearing about K going out on top and seeing "The Last Dance: K's Final Season" on a network near you.

This notion that UNC/Hubert winning will hurt Wake is silly. Wake isn't competing with UNC for recruits and status in the basketball world.

Is K ever going to stop with the shoe polish on the hair? Dude is a thousand years old.

Yeah, people seem to think K will just disappear even if he goes out on top after Monday. The man is on a self created farewell tour where he gets mad if an opposing school does not honor him before each game. And people here seriously want to feed his ego and see him go out a national champion? There is no guarantee Kansas/Villanova will beat Duke in the final if they make it through UNC. You want Duke to lose as early as possible or you're going to be hearing about K going out on top and seeing "The Last Dance: K's Final Season" on a network near you.

This notion that UNC/Hubert winning will hurt Wake is silly. Wake isn't competing with UNC for recruits and status in the basketball world.

We are not competing with them for recruits.

In my lifetime, WF has on 4 ACC basketball titles of any kind:

2003 regular season - UNC was historically awful at 6-10 in the ACC
1996 ACC Tournament - Duke was recovering from 1995 and was 8-8 in the ACC
1995 both - Duke was historically awful at 2-14 in the ACC

Duke has been .500 or worse in ACC play 4 times in the last 38 years.
UNC has been .500 or worse in ACC play 5 times in the last 38 years.

Of those 9 opportunities, we have won 4 ACC titles. So, the path is easier when one (or both!) of them are down

I guess, but it's probably largely better for us at the moment if they're good so we can have quality-win opportunities and the conference as a whole looks stronger for getting teams into the tournament.

If we establish ourselves as a perennial top 4 ACC program then the conversation changes

Wake fans with closeted boners for K drive me crazy. Watched a ballgame with one recently.

Like my dad whose a coach, has a closeted love of Belichick despite pretending to be a panthers fan.

As someone who lives in Chapel hill, and as I much as I dislike the Heels, it is a no brainer to pull for them if the sink hole doesn't appear.

Life is too short to be subjected to the K Legacy bullshit for the next 30 years if they win. That would simply be intolerable, migraine inducing torture.

Hubert aint a bad guy. K is the devil. Duke wal mart fans 100x worse than UNC wal mart fans.

Coach K already has a legacy we’ve been subjected to over 30 years and will be subjected to for 30 more.

I just am not in favor of a narrative that u*NC hands the reins to the next guy, Hubert Davis, in this case, and the winning continues without a hitch.

Coach K already has a legacy we’ve been subjected to over 30 years and will be subjected to for 30 more.

Ture, but the Dean Smith legacy has already faded quite a bit over the past 15 years since he retired. He's only been dead seven years, but it feels longer.

The problem with Coach K is he's a more public person than Smith was and he's going to be in the media constantly.

I’d say Dean’s legacy is as strong as ever. They still play in an arena named after him 25 years after he coached his last game. Of the four coaches they’ve had since he retired, they only considered hiring people who coached and played for him. Last year, the new coach only hired assistant coaches who played in the system. The cult of Carolina basketball continues unabated.

UNC is still the biggest bandwagon team in all of college sports.

I went to the game in Chapel Hill in 1995. When everything started off about two minutes in, a group of tarholes next to me started a "Rasheed is better than you!" chant.

Timmy had 25 points and 12 boards that game. He also held Rasheed scoreless in the first half.

Out of those 10-15 tarhole morons chanting, maybe one or two of them actually went to UNC. I'd venture to say the rest of them more than likely no connection to UNC at all, other then their t-shirt purchase they made at the University bookstore on Franklin St prior to the game.

Worst fanbase in the world. Ever.

Ture, but the Dean Smith legacy has already faded quite a bit over the past 15 years since he retired. He's only been dead seven years, but it feels longer.

The problem with Coach K is he's a more public person than Smith was and he's going to be in the media constantly.

Dean didn't go on a farewell tour nor was he marketing himself in commercials. Even when K retires, I highly doubt he just disappears.

I have been taught from birth that there is nothing more despicable in the world than a Tar Heel. Their obnoxiousness is off the charts and if Hubert takes an 8 seed into the title game we will NEVER hear the end of it as long as he is there. K (who I detest) has one game and then he is DONE so we won't have him thrown up in our face everyday on ESPN once he has the stake driven through his heart in the title game. That said, NEVER EVER EVER pull for the heels in anything even if they play ISIS. who proceed to decapitate 15 Christians at center court before the game. After the mess is cleaned up I will yell at the top of my lungs GO ISIS. Besides I went out with a UNC girl once and she gave me crabs! (she was hot and hot to trot but wanting the crabs, I did NOT)

i like this post

if you would rather see duke win because you have to live among and deal with asshole carolina fans, then i see the angle. what i don't understand is the idea that a unc win automatically means we're destined to get 20+ years of continued carolina success under hubert davis. sports is replete with examples of a coach having a fantastic season that is never duplicated, whereas the collective fellatio of coach k if he goes out on top is a foregone conclusion.

I just don't understand the K hate. I really don't.

Same here. He has a tremendous ego and sense of self-entitlement, but so does most everybody who has achieved at the highest level of their profession over a number of years. I'd rather it had been Wake or even NCSU, but kudos to K for providing us poor souls here in the "Tar Heel" state a buffer against their insufferable fanbase.

UNC is still the biggest bandwagon team in all of college sports.

I went to the game in Chapel Hill in 1995. When everything started off about two minutes in, a group of tarholes next to me started a "Rasheed is better than you!" chant.

Timmy had 25 points and 12 boards that game. He also held Rasheed scoreless in the first half.

Out of those 10-15 tarhole morons chanting, maybe one or two of them actually went to UNC. I'd venture to say the rest of them more than likely no connection to UNC at all, other then their t-shirt purchase they made at the University bookstore on Franklin St prior to the game.

Worst fanbase in the world. Ever.

I wish we had about a million more Walmart Wake fans and had a fanbase everybody hated.

Christian Laettner, Grayson Allen, Greg Paulus, Jon Scheyer, Dahntay Jones. Now name 5 Carolina players as infinitely hateable.

Back