• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are you pulling for UNC or Duke in the Final 4?

Are you pulling for UNC or Duke in the Final 4?

• Duke

Votes: 45 42.9%
  • UNC

Votes: 60 57.1%

• Total voters
I wish we had about a million more Walmart Wake fans and had a fanbase everybody hated.

Christian Laettner, Grayson Allen, Greg Paulus, Jon Scheyer, Dahntay Jones. Now name 5 Carolina players as infinitely hateable.

steve wojciechowski, chris duhon, danny ferry...the list goes on. the only unc player i can think of that cracks the top five here is hansbrough. they're all part of this faux "doing it the right way" culture that people eat up, and k is the ring leader.

If you lived in NC, the local media and fanbase always glossed over the holes. They always put them on this high and lofty standard. At least in the 80's and 90's, it was always this way.

Now as a Wake grad/fan? Rasheed, Joe Forte, Jerry Stackhouse, and Jeff McInnis come to mind. Later down the road you can throw Sean May and Tyler Hansbrough in that category as well. Couldn't stand them.

If you lived in NC, the local media and fanbase always glossed over the holes. They always put them on this high and lofty standard. At least in the 80's and 90's, it was always this way.

Now as a Wake grad/fan? Rasheed, Joe Forte, Jerry Stackhouse, and Jeff McInnis come to mind. Later down the road you can throw Sean May and Tyler Hansbrough in that category as well. Couldn't stand them.

Yeah if you asked me this question 20-25 years ago I am pulling for Duke to beat UNC all day long. My dislike of Coach K has grown so much during that time and is greater then any tarhole.

Last edited:
steve wojciechowski, chris duhon, danny ferry...the list goes on. the only unc player i can think of that cracks the top five here is hansbrough. they're all part of this faux "doing it the right way" culture that people eat up, and k is the ring leader.

Yes, which is why the right thing to do as a WF fan is pull for UNC tomorrow.

As gross as that will feel - Duke is the real problem.

Think of it this way:

We just blew out UNC a few months ago.

When is the last time we beat Duke? Chaundee Brown almost did.

This year they (surprise) cheated with the goal tend...but it's like Clemson in FB. Got to get them off that high horse.

Febraury 25, 2020, Manning's last game against Duke was an epic 113-101 WF win in 2OT. Childress was huge in OT.

Ture, but the Dean Smith legacy has already faded quite a bit over the past 15 years since he retired. He's only been dead seven years, but it feels longer.

The problem with Coach K is he's a more public person than Smith was and he's going to be in the media constantly.

Yeah. Dean Smith wasn't making any dumb ass AT&T commercials.

I wish we had about a million more Walmart Wake fans and had a fanbase everybody hated.

Christian Laettner, Grayson Allen, Greg Paulus, Jon Scheyer, Dahntay Jones. Now name 5 Carolina players as infinitely hateable.

Hansbrough, Dante Calabria, Rasheed Wallace, Stackhouse, Rashad McCants, Warren Martin, Brendan Haywood, Matt Doherty, Mike Pepper, Hansbrough, Pierce Landry (or Lance Pendry or whatever the hell his name was) every goofy ass white boy who has ever sat on the end of the UNC bench and waved his arms like an idiot.

That being said, I would prefer for Duke to lose on Saturday.

And for those worried about Hubert starting out in the Final Four, so did Guthridge.

Last edited:
Hansbrough, Dante Calabria, Rasheed Wallace, Stackhouse, Rashad McCants, Warren Martin, Brendan Haywood, Matt Doherty, Mike Pepper, Hansbrough, Pierce Landry (or Lance Pendry or whatever the hell his name was) every goofy ass white boy who has ever sat on the end of the UNC bench and waved his arms like an idiot.

That being said, I would prefer for Duke to lose on Saturday.

And for those worried about Hubert starting out in the Final Four, so did Guthridge.

True, but Guthridge was handed a Final 4 team. Hubert, not so much.

man it's crazy that going into the ACCT wake probably had an equal or better resume than UNC, and now they're in the final 4

No.

Every major sports team will spout such nonsense. That UNC does the same shouldn't surprise us any more than Rex Ryan telling his players to do things the "Jets' way" on Hard Knocks. It's a business and highly successful coaches treat it accordingly.

The difference is that the unwashed masses believe that K, moreso than anyone else, does things the "right way". As if he is worthy of their praise and admiration moreso than anyone else. UNC tries to do the same, but they're not as good at it, at least not in the recent past. Ergo, UNC needs to win to detract from the narrative that K won despite of the system, as if he's above it all.

No.

Every major sports team will spout such nonsense. That UNC does the same shouldn't surprise us any more than Rex Ryan telling his players to do things the "Jets' way" on Hard Knocks. It's a business and highly successful coaches treat it accordingly.

The difference is that the unwashed masses believe that K, moreso than anyone else, does things the "right way". As if he is worthy of their praise and admiration moreso than anyone else. UNC tries to do the same, but they're not as good at it, at least not in the recent past. Ergo, UNC needs to win to detract from the narrative that K won despite of the system, as if he's above it all.

Not sure what you mean there; K has fully embraced the one-and-done mode in recent years, while UNC is getting it done with mostly 2-3 year guys and the occasional 4 year "solid contributor". The days of K bucking "the system" by recruiting a bunch of white guys and Grant Hill/CEO-types who hang around and get a degree are long gone.

Several years ago Coach K hired a PR firm in L.A. - the best one - to build his "brand" and that's exactly what they did. A part of that was building an image of ethical and relationship superiority. And on top of that he got to coach the Olympic teams. Done deal.

Did they set up that offer from the Lakers?

Not sure what you mean there; K has fully embraced the one-and-done mode in recent years, while UNC is getting it done with mostly 2-3 year guys and the occasional 4 year "solid contributor". The days of K bucking "the system" by recruiting a bunch of white guys and Grant Hill/CEO-types who hang around and get a degree are long gone.

i'm referring to perception, not reality. people who pay attention to college basketball, particularly the acc, typically recognize K and his more recent stratagem for what they are, to wit, a win-at-all-costs approach. in my experience, casual fans think duke players are model citizens who only stop studying and practicing basketball in order to go to church on their way to earning a degree from a top institution of higher learning (read: not NCCU). imo, K cultivates this misperception in an effort to maintain a public image.

The answer to my original question is that we should cheer for UNC against Duke because, while UNC fans will be pretty miserable about losing to Duke, Duke fans will be absolutely devastated beyond belief to lose this game. In other words, it will hurt Duke more, so that’s what we should want to happen. Then we should want Nova or Kansas to crush UNC.

I think this is where I’ve finally landed. However, I think Duke is going to come out on top.

I am blown away (but not surprised) that Coach RatFace has decided not to coach tomorrow night. Is there no end to this guy making sure he is the story line every chance he gets. The Putz is doing his Team a huge disservice.

Back