• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top Hat Collective

:rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

In fairness, how else would you propose I vet this? I live halfway across the country and don’t have connections like that at Wake. My best bet is someone here and their experience.

The CEO said they’d have athlete announcements Monday or Tuesday but there’s nothing yet. Obviously things take time but it’s not a good look to miss the timing on the main thing potential investors are looking for.

My hats off to this kid. Took a damn Yankee to get it done but at least someone has some balls that went to Wake Forest.

I haven’t listened yet, but will. Seems like the charitable foundation route would have been much better to me, if I correctly understand how some other schools are doing it. Basically donors give money to the collective (and can write it off), collective gives some of the money to local/national charities, and some (most) of the money to players to publicly support those charities. A membership-type level collective seems too much like the Deacon Club, which many of us contribute to already.

“Basically donors give money to the collective (and can write it off), collective gives some of the money to local/national charities, and some (most) of the money to players to publicly support those charities”

How is this remotely legal? Seems like tax evasion. Giving athletes money should not be a tax write off.

Great article on Top Hat Collective in the Athletic today. Ari Wasserman wrote it.

meanwhile from the southern part of the ACC...

Speaking of Miami NIL, as mentioned on the men's college hoops thread, Miami women's basketball got commits from the Cavinder twins who are believed to be worth $3 million+ in NIL. Haley was the 2021 MVC POY and Hanna has been All-MVC. Never been to Fresno, but I'm guessing Miami is better for TikToks.

yeah. Holy shit we are in a new era. Ruiz also taking credit for a LB transfer from UCLA. Wong is coming back, signed an NIL deal with Ruiz.

the Cavinder twins could have gone anywhere (and they are already rich)...they chose Miami. Guessing $$ made an impact

will be shocked if Norchad Omier does not end up in Coral Gables

Speaking of Miami NIL, as mentioned on the men's college hoops thread, Miami women's basketball got commits from the Cavinder twins who are believed to be worth $3 million+ in NIL. Haley was the 2021 MVC POY and Hanna has been All-MVC. Never been to Fresno, but I'm guessing Miami is better for TikToks.

Never heard of the Cavinder twins, but a quick Google confirmed what I thought would lead to their $3MM NIL deal.

Pretty sure Cavenders have an NIL deal with WWE also, and they base most of their training facilities in Orlando. Not next door, but could be a factor.

Back