• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top Hat Collective

It looks more like he's under a NIL contract and he wants a better one. Good luck figuring out the legal side of that with buyouts, etc.

It looks more like he's under a NIL contract and he wants a better one. Good luck figuring out the legal side of that with buyouts, etc.

Oh wouldn’t discovery and depositions be a great read if any of these go to court. Welcome to the grown up world young folks.

Hope Ruiz doesn't lose any of those 3.5 hours of sleep over the Wong situation. lmao

We can’t get a NIL fund because Wake mistreated Wes Miller.

IIRC, Skip had a heart-to-heart discussion with Wes and his dad. Offered to put him on scholly but said he would probably not play. Wes took the UNC offer because he felt he would have a chance to play. Don't think he was mistreated at all.

I agree that athletes were previously being exploited and I’m not against college athletes being paid at all. That said, the U NIL situation just feels uncomfortable/dirty. This is pro sports now and it probably shouldn’t be linked to colleges. I guess I’ll get used to it, but college basketball in particular just doesn’t feel like college basketball. I can and do watch the NBA for the best athletes. I’d like to think the athletes who play for colleges have some kind allegiance/fondness toward them, but it feels less and less like that’s the case.

Oh there is definitely a plan in the works for a basketball only fund. I’m in for that but am not the face since most of you haters wouldn’t support it if so. There is only one guy who should be the face of it and he will be.

Stay tuned. You will be seeing the info when it all gets set up.

ugh...:rolleyes:

Would be way cooler if there were one set up in the sport that actually matters.

yep
this is where it is headed. it's professional lite. players will hold out, demand trades (figuratively), etc

This was already happening at a certain level. It's pretty naive to assume otherwise. There are certainly some growing pains, but I don't think NIL fundamentally alters the hierarchy of college sports. The players with the most value will usually choose the teams that seem to have the biggest investment into their program. This will just likely take the form of direct payments instead of fancy facilities.

The way our fans have treated the Millers and Shahs after all their amazing contributions to our basketball program doesn’t exactly encourage others to hop on board.

For wake hoops to have any chance everyone needs to be working together not taking pot shots at our only real hoops donors.

Are you referring to when Karl Hess made a racist comment toward Mit, Wake defended Mit, and you posted this:

"Wait, someone said Karl made a tweet. What was it? Sorry, was too busy working and missed it. I didn't inherit anything so, unlike Mit, I can't just sit around and send out tweets and then not answer questions about it.

Sorry Mit. But come on, when you throw a guy's career in peril, at least be man enough to answer questions about it. #BushLeague"

Are you referring to when Karl Hess made a racist comment toward Mit, Wake defended Mit, and you posted this:

"Wait, someone said Karl made a tweet. What was it? Sorry, was too busy working and missed it. I didn't inherit anything so, unlike Mit, I can't just sit around and send out tweets and then not answer questions about it.

Sorry Mit. But come on, when you throw a guy's career in peril, at least be man enough to answer questions about it. #BushLeague"

Ouch. Poor DR. Only so many people he can latch on to and kiss their ass at one time. It gets messy sometimes.

I agree that athletes were previously being exploited and I’m not against college athletes being paid at all. That said, the U NIL situation just feels uncomfortable/dirty. This is pro sports now and it probably shouldn’t be linked to colleges. I guess I’ll get used to it, but college basketball in particular just doesn’t feel like college basketball. I can and do watch the NBA for the best athletes. I’d like to think the athletes who play for colleges have some kind allegiance/fondness toward them, but it feels less and less like that’s the case.

Agree 100%. College basketball feels like a semi-pro finishing school to me now. Has nothing to do with the student-athlete or allegiance to the school anymore. I mean when you think about it, collegiate athletics is fundamentally kind of a weird animal to begin with.

yep
this is where it is headed. it's professional lite. players will hold out, demand trades (figuratively), etc

I think Wong already used up his "test the waters NBA pass" - so he is working every possible angle now for money. The Transfer Portal is the only thing left to him.

Agree 100%. College basketball feels like a semi-pro finishing school to me now. Has nothing to do with the student-athlete or allegiance to the school anymore. I mean when you think about it, collegiate athletics is fundamentally kind of a weird animal to begin with.

Let's all start picking our favorite D3 schools. Real amateur athletics! ;)

I think Wong already used up his "test the waters NBA pass" - so he is working every possible angle now for money. The Transfer Portal is the only thing left to him.

I thought the restriction on NBA evals went away with the bunch of restrictions that ended recently.

How so? The NCAA has no interest in leading any real change.

Yea, this...feels like a potential 'crossing the Rubicon' kind of moment.

How so? The NCAA has no interest in leading any real change.

Can a player break his NIL contract and go elsewhere for a better deal, or is he stuck with the deal he signed? As noted, the NCAA probably won't get involved. Courts? Contract law? Florida NIL law (if any) controlling this? If it's a battle of lawyers, I bet on the old, rich guy.

Back