• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top Hat Collective

That makes sense. NIL is “meant” for endorsements and such so requiring athletes be there for endorsements works.

Wish Wake had lawyers as smart and successful as Ruiz.

Classic Wake thread here. Deteriorated from trying to help to the obsession with me and Wes.

Poor Wake Forest.

Classic Wake thread here. Deteriorated from trying to help to the obsession with me and Wes.

Poor Wake Forest.

Feel free to exit stage right and leave us to our tears. Only one poster here who obsession applies to.
“Must have small on campus arena for Wake to compete in the new CBB world.”

DR’s dad was a dentist. DR attended WF undergrad and Duke law. Cry him a river for growing up so hard. Had to be tough.

Can’t let this one go. I grew up in Poplar Bluff, Missouri a town in the middle of nowhere. My Dad made 80k a year—enough for a good life in podunk Missouri so I don’t ask you to cry me a river.

My parents did however teach me to make it on my own. I did that, paying my own way through Wake and Duke Law School—unlike you. I went to work for the man for awhile as all kids with no money must do. But then I started my own businesses and have accumulated my own millions not inheriting Daddy’s business like you.

So basically shove it there 22 with the personal attacks. Bring your own tax return up here and let’s see who is winning big guy.

Go Deacs!

Can’t let this one go. I grew up in Poplar Bluff, Missouri a town in the middle of nowhere. My Dad made 80k a year—enough for a good life in podunk Missouri so I don’t ask you to cry me a river.

My parents did however teach me to make it on my own. I did that, paying my own way through Wake and Duke Law School—unlike you. I went to work for the man for awhile as all kids with no money must do. But then I started my own businesses and have accumulated my own millions not inheriting Daddy’s business like you.

So basically shove it there 22 with the personal attacks. Bring your own tax return up here and let’s see who is winning big guy.

Go Deacs!

:rofl:

Are any of our alums who have accumulated and/or inherited millions doing anything on the NIL front?

Two good articles from Ross Dellenger on the issue and what the NCAA is trying to do (the NCAA is pissing into the wind)

Big Money Donors Have Stepped Out of the Shadows to Create ‘Chaotic’ NIL Market

Across the U.S. college sports landscape, from the heartland of Texas to the shores of Florida and hills of Tennessee, high-level boosters are privately or publicly using name, image and likeness deals to bankroll their teams, attempting to outbid one another for talent and creating a new arms race in college sports.

College football’s biggest donors have orchestrated business ventures that are distributing five-, six- and seven-figure payments to athletes under the guise of endorsement opportunities and appearance fees. They are also pooling millions of their dollars in creating exclusive, high-priced clubs—“collectives”—to retain current players, entice high school prospects or poach athletes from other programs.

“We’re funneling everything previously under-the-table over the table,” says one SEC staff member who spoke to SI under the condition of anonymity. “The big change is the numbers are going up. Before [NIL], you knew it was bulls--- if a kid came to you and said he was getting more than $50,000 from another school. Now, numbers that used to be bulls--- aren’t bulls--- anymore.

“Everything now comes down to how willing are your boosters and how rich are your boosters. You’re pretty much f----- if you don’t have the booster bank.”

Task Force To Big-Money Boosters: NIL Sanctions Could Be Coming

University administrators, part of a task force to review NIL, are finalizing additional guidelines that are expected to clarify that boosters and booster-led collectives are prohibited from involvement in recruiting, multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated. The guidelines will provide more guidance to member schools on what many administrators say are NIL-disguised “pay for play” deals orchestrated by donors to induce prospects, recruit players off other college teams and retain their own athletes.

“We let things get out of hand,” says one official with knowledge of the guidelines. “We have to get [the boosters] out of contacting recruits and bartering with them.”

from that first article:

In one January battle, two SEC programs sparred over a five-star defensive prospect. One offered about $50,000 a year in NIL money. And the other?
“About $150,000 a year,” says a person from the private sector who has knowledge of the deal and saw contract details.
The player committed to the higher bidder. The value of his NIL deal is four years and roughly $600,000, the person told SI under condition of anonymity. The person chuckles at the new bidding war. He’s familiar with such situations. He used to deliver bags of money for an SEC team.
“I was a bag man,” he acknowledges. “What happens to the bag men now?”

That dude is a liar. There is no such thing as an SEC "bag man".

I'll say it again and for the last time because discussing wealth or morso pretended wealth is boring and in the latter case boorish. In my 55 years on this earth I have never known anyone that actually had real money to tell a soul they have it. Not once. This is the number one rule of having money. Guys, if you learn nothing else today then learn that. It is immutable fact that nobody with money wants anyone else to know. Efforts are typically made to "poormouth" and shake others off the trail and even if one is aware others know you have wealth you still do it, as ingenuine as it is. If it were ever to happen and a man that actually has money brags that he does, I couldn't be more certain that he feels as though he has other important areas of his life where he doesn't measure up. Thus the need to pretend and brag so he feels as though he's "winning". An example of this type of shortcoming might be - and almost certainly is - "difficulties" with the ladies.

Guys, have it all stitched on a pillow at home or print it and frame it and put it on a shelf because today for the first time, I come to you with valuable information.

I'll say it again and for the last time because discussing wealth or morso pretended wealth is boring and in the latter case boorish. In my 55 years on this earth I have never known anyone that actually had real money to tell a soul they have it. Not once. This is the number one rule of having money. Guys, if you learn nothing else today then learn that. It is immutable fact that nobody with money wants anyone else to know. Efforts are typically made to "poormouth" and shake others off the trail and even if one is aware others know you have wealth you still do it, as ingenuine as it is. If it were ever to happen and a man that actually has money brags that he does, I couldn't be more certain that he feels as though he has other important areas of his life where he doesn't measure up. Thus the need to pretend and brag so he feels as though he's "winning". An example of this type of shortcoming might be - and almost certainly is - "difficulties" with the ladies.

Guys, have it all stitched on a pillow at home or print it and frame it and put it on a shelf because today for the first time, I come to you with valuable information.

Definitely wish my Grams was still alive to cross-stitch this on a wall hanging for me!

That Ruiz guy seems to be wealthy and has no problem letting everyone else know that he's using it to get top athletes to come to the U.

Do we have any wealthy lawyers brave enough to do the same for Wake?

Read the rabbit hole about how Ruiz got - or is getting his money. I think he will come crashing down to reality

Sketchy billionaires don't come crashing down to reality in this country.

Y'all need to start a SPAC and buy some damn recruits.

Donald Ross was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple. And then tells you how he made the bat himself out of a maple tree from his own back yard that lightning hit.
Here’s one thing I’ve learned in 50 years : blowhards gonna blowhard

I'm almost sure DR posted about his dad's wealth, companies, etc. when he was enrolled at Wake. Regardless, the lecturing is rj-like and is really tiresome.

When are we going to hear about a big NIL deal landing us a recruit?

When are we going to hear about a big NIL deal landing us a recruit?

I can make jokes and such but announcing a big NIL deal as a recruit commits doesn’t seem like the “Wake Forest way.” Maybe we will see an announcement about that recruit doing a meet and greet after they verbal.

Man, I wish this were still true. It is not.

Back