• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top Hat Collective

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score

giphy.gif

awesome. anyone know if contributions to stuff like this is tax deductible / DAF accessible?

If this is NFTs, I'm going to be very disappointed.

If this is NFTs, I'm going to be very disappointed.

If 20 people are willing to pay $100 for an LD Williams dunk and a cut goes to LD, a cut goes to Top Hat, and the rest goes to NIL, that seems like a good deal to me. It's like giving a meaningless souvenir to people to give a donation.

I'm guessing it's stuff like "get your favorite player to show up to your birthday party for $500."

I'm guessing it's stuff like "get your favorite player to show up to your birthday party for $500."

Or have them send birthday wishes via Twitter or Facebook for a fee. I know celebs have been doing that side hustle for a while now. My brother-in-law is a huge Alice Cooper fan. I think my sister paid like $500 for Alice to send him a personal birthday message.

It’s likely more of a “contribute to this fund” so that they can direct it to the correct place so that students like Jake LaRavia decide to stick around for another year.

awesome. anyone know if contributions to stuff like this is tax deductible / DAF accessible?

It depends. Some of the collectives have been structured as (c)(3) (presumably public charities so eligible for distributions from most DAFs). Others are more like paying for perks of membership and don’t purport to be charities. I will be very interested to see the IRS’s take on the charitable ones and whether they can generate the same level of NIL deals for athletes.

It depends. Some of the collectives have been structured as (c)(3) (presumably public charities so eligible for distributions from most DAFs). Others are more like paying for perks of membership and don’t purport to be charities. I will be very interested to see the IRS’s take on the charitable ones and whether they can generate the same level of NIL deals for athletes.

Do you know of other examples of collectives like this already up and running? I'm curious what impact it has on giving to the university directly.

Do you know of other examples of collectives like this already up and running? I'm curious what impact it has on giving to the university directly.

This is the first collective for Wake but an example would be Rising Spear at FSU

Also keep up the questions. I'll be bringing the founder on the podcast once the website launches this week and have him answer a bunch of these questions

Or have them send birthday wishes via Twitter or Facebook for a fee. I know celebs have been doing that side hustle for a while now. My brother-in-law is a huge Alice Cooper fan. I think my sister paid like $500 for Alice to send him a personal birthday message.

Lenny Dykstra will do it for like $50 (probably $500 if you have to edit out the F bombs and other BS language).

There is a lot of information out there. Basically, it is buy your players with ATM-U in College Station the leader in the club house. State law has much to do with how these money pots are structured.

Last edited:
Who exactly runs Top Hat Collective? Atheltic Dept. or agency? Waiting to see what they’ll have for sale before I get a membership.

Back