• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billy Edwards is transferring?!?!?!

the curse

Tell me you’re big mad about Addison to USC without telling me you’re big mad about Addison to USC.

just like the nut punch cursed us for years. . . . looks like the fake slide may be having the same effect, lol! i don't like tampering obviously, but Pitt deserves it

Tell me you’re big mad about Addison to USC without telling me you’re big mad about Addison to USC.

just like the nut punch cursed us for years. . . . looks like the fake slide may be having the same effect, lol! i don't like tampering obviously, but Pitt deserves it

shit. If AT did that, this board would melt the fuck down.

You can't have NIL and not have the new transfer rules. Otherwise you are limiting a player's opportunities to earn for himself/family.

We are going to have to somehow let college sports as we knew it go. It doesn't exist anymore. So we can't keep trying to make it what we were used to. It's professional sports now for people who also attend college. And it has almost nothing in common with what we used to know, and it is completely out of control which the major sports leagues are not. So this is much worse. You think anyone would be watching ML baseball, NBA, or NFL if there weren't salary caps? There wouldn't be a fan in any of the seats of those arenas and stadiums. Who would care who won when the the playing fields among the teams are not level? Well that's what we now have in "college sports".

You can't have NIL and not have the new transfer rules. Otherwise you are limiting a player's opportunities to earn for himself/family.

We are going to have to somehow let college sports as we knew it go. It doesn't exist anymore. So we can't keep trying to make it what we were used to. It's professional sports now for people who also attend college. And it has almost nothing in common with what we used to know, and it is completely out of control which the major sports leagues are not. So this is much worse. You think anyone would be watching ML baseball, NBA, or NFL if there weren't salary caps? There wouldn't be a fan in any of the seats of those arenas and stadiums. Who would care who won when the the playing fields among the teams are not level? Well that's what we now have in "college sports".

There is not and has never been a salary cap in baseball.

Do people really think Edwards is leaving due to an NIL deal?

I'm guessing he is looking for someplace he can start in 22, or at least where he sees a clearer path to starting in 23 than he sees at Wake.

Even MLB has rules to protect the competitive balance outside of the luxury tax: among them, MLB players don't become free agents for six years; college players are now free agents from day 1. Imagine pro sports if players were granted free agency after their first year. That's where college sports is right now. Billy Edwards wasn't on campus for a full year; he rose his profile, and he's now expected to transfer to another power conference school. Crazy.

Weird thread to go off on NIL/transfer rules. Billy Edwards isn't going to start anywhere (or anywhere decent) this year, and certainly isn't going to get paid to transfer anywhere this year.

Even MLB has rules to protect the competitive balance outside of the luxury tax: among them, MLB players don't become free agents for six years; college players are now free agents from day 1. Imagine pro sports if players were granted free agency after their first year. That's where college sports is right now. Billy Edwards wasn't on campus for a full year; he rose his profile, and he's now expected to transfer to another power conference school. Crazy.

It's like free agency every year for every player. That is what is crazy. They need to incorporate some contracts or something so that there is some stability.

Weird thread to go off on NIL/transfer rules. Billy Edwards isn't going to start anywhere (or anywhere decent) this year, and certainly isn't going to get paid to transfer anywhere this year.

Can you explain or are you just speculating? Because that is not the story, granted without details, that has been going around. Edwards had climbed the depth chart here in less than a year if he's leaving to go to place that is: a) not decent b) where he will not start, then what was the rationale behind the decision?

Can you explain or are you just speculating? Because that is not the story, granted without details, that has been going around. Edwards had climbed the depth chart here in less than a year if he's leaving to go to place that is: a) not decent b) where he will not start, then what was the rationale behind the decision?

Climbed the depth chart? From going from the 5th QB to the 4th QB because the 4th QB was throwing picks to walk-ons?

Climbed the depth chart? From going from the 5th QB to the 4th QB because the 4th QB was throwing picks to walk-ons?

From multiple sources, he had a really good spring and improved. He had the best statistical performance in the spring game. Admittedly, it was against the 3rd string and walkons. He still had to make accurate throws on time.

He may have felt that he needed a path to starting that had fewer obstacles in front of him. Right now it appears to be M. Griffis, Kern and Hartman in front of him. In 23, it may have looked like Griffis, Griffis, and Kern in front of him. Every QB thinks he should be starting on Day 1. Some are more patient than others when it doesn't happen.

From multiple sources, he had a really good spring and improved. He had the best statistical performance in the spring game. Admittedly, it was against the 3rd string and walkons. He still had to make accurate throws on time.

He may have felt that he needed a path to starting that had fewer obstacles in front of him. Right now it appears to be M. Griffis, Kern and Hartman in front of him. In 23, it may have looked like Griffis, Griffis, and Kern in front of him. Every QB thinks he should be starting on Day 1. Some are more patient than others when it doesn't happen.

Which is completely fair. And if my last message was dickish, it was more meant to be blunt than be mean. There's not really a way to put it that doesn't make anyone really pleased. Was there some stuff that he did that was impressive throughout camp? Absolutely. Did he improve? Yes. But context is important and that's across the entire team not just the QB position. If a WR doesn't drop the ball all spring, that's really good! But if he's doing that against a bunch of walk-ons, it doesn't mean the talent isn't there, it just means they're better than the people they're playing against. The same can be gleaned from Billy. From when I saw him practice, it lined up with what I had been hearing all spring: good arm, good size, can make some throws but 1) he continuously just did not trust his pocket and was jittery and 2) a lot of his success/great throws were to scholarship guys against walk-ons who won't see the field even if 4-5 guys in the secondary get injured. That doesn't take away from him improving! But the notion from quite a few fans that he was maybe challenging for a backup spot or would be a factor in the starting job battle next year is well... inaccurate. He still had quite a long way to go both in his development as well as to just catch up to Mitch/Kern.

The most logical opinion is just that, he wanted to start sooner versus later and I think he's likely dropping down a level. Don't think that's accurate of his talents per se as I think in year 4 he could be a P5 QB, but in year 3 or even year 2 he could be a serviceable G5 QB.

Your P5 programs just aren't tampering with 4th string QBs nor are they dropping bags for unproven QBs and while the spring game was really fun to watch, he's still an unproven guy that is going to need a whole lot of seasoning

This guy's not playing anywhere next year unless he drops down to NAIA or something. I doubt that half of quarterbacks who enter a P5 as a freshman ever play meaningful downs as a P5 quarterback. Let it go. This guy's not starting for USC next year (or the year after, or ever).

I was just reminded how Kyle Kearns went 5-5 for 111 yards in the spring game one year. I feel much better about Billy Edwards leaving now, as I feel like that puts spring game performances in perspective.

Did Billy ever find a school to take him? Or is he still floating in no man’s land?

Float float float. Money still on William & Mary.
Jesus Christ. This guy didn’t come to play school. At least he’ll probably be the best QB on the team and play but that’s a big step down in competition.

Back