• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When Will We Wake Up to The Truth - Popeyes

The more I reread biff's OP the more I think it's out of line and we deserve an apology. Do the right thing biff. We can't have good discussion on this topic in this environment.

The topic of spicy chicken sandwiches inspired me to look into who even makes those. I saw Burger King was in the game so I made my quadrennial BK trip to check it out. It was exactly what you'd expect from BK. The only thing notable about it was how sloppy it was. They douse it in some sauce that makes you hope the paper wrapping holds up lest a deluge of whatever that goo is gets unleashed.

I'm bummed I missed out on the Arby's Diablo chicken sandwich, which I guess was available for a couple of months at the beginning of the year. I'm going to guess it's much closer to a Wendy's #6 than a "vindaloo extra hot". Hopefully it comes back.

These new walk-out Chick-fil-A drive-thrus are paying dividends here in NC.

These new walk-out Chick-fil-A drive-thrus are paying dividends here in NC.

the "Hey Y'all come back" at the end is just the chef's kiss on an amazing meal.

I had the Whataburger spicy chicken yesterday. Have had it before, but paid more attention to it this time. Not a CFA knockoff, but more akin to the Wendy's spicy chicken, only better of course, since it's Whataburger and they don't make anything that sucks.

I finally had the cause of the resurgence in this discussion - the Popeyes Buffalo.

It get the "meh"ist of mehs. I mean, it's still the Popeyes patty which slaps (I think that's what the cool kids are saying these days) but the sauce is indistinguishable from generic Buffalo sauce from your local grocer like Sweet Baby Ray's. I'm sticking with their spicy chicken sando.

I finally had the cause of the resurgence in this discussion - the Popeyes Buffalo.

It get the "meh"ist of mehs. I mean, it's still the Popeyes patty which slaps (I think that's what the cool kids are saying these days) but the sauce is indistinguishable from generic Buffalo sauce from your local grocer like Sweet Baby Ray's. I'm sticking with their spicy chicken sando.

It's not a patty. Why do people keep mentioning patties?

I tried the Popeyes sandwich for the first time today. I got the spicy to compare to my normal Chick fil A order. It's a good sandwich, and I liked it. It's better than just about every fast food chicken sandwich out there, except for CFA.

While the Popeyes bun was lacking, I was surprised by how much I liked the spicy sauce, and the pickles are actually an upgrade from CFA. The chicken was very good, but looked a lot crispier than it actually was. It's still a huge upgrade from normal fast food.

In the end, I still think CFA is the superior sandwich. It has far less breading, but is just as crispy. It brings the same amount of heat without use of a mayo-based sauce. And the CFA sandwich is just as satisfying with about 1/3 of the calories. That's really a mind blowing figure. I'll take CFA spicy and a lemonade over Popeyes any day.

CFA is never crispy and has shitty breading. Posts like these confuse me.

for a board with a lot of snobby tastes, it always cracks me up that the strongest opinions are reserved for fast food

You must go to a shitty chickfila.

nah, they're not really crispy no matter what chikfila you're going to

it's a combination of 1) fairly light breading, which is gonna limit how much "crispiness" you can get at all, flavor all comes from the MSG and 2) the aluminum-ish bags they keep them in, which just leads to all the trapped heat/moisture making the sandwich soggy.. so unless you can get one that's not been in a bag for more than 60 seconds you're gonna get GOT by that

for a board with a lot of snobby tastes, it always cracks me up that the strongest opinions are reserved for fast food

chikfila is the WASP fast food mecca (and beloved by children everywhere), so of course lots of staunch defenders to be found on a WFU board

I said CFA was just as crispy as the Popeye's sandwich, which is true. Neither are crispy like home made fried chicken. But CFA is getting the texture with far less breading.

And I disagree. CFA has weird breading that is never crispy. Popeye's is crispy all the time

CFA sandwiches are only crispy if you get bits that are outside the bun. also, the chicken size is way too inconsistent. you either get a big honkin' piece of chicken that sticks out or it fits neatly inside the bun. Popeye's are all about the same size.

Back