• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Horse Racing 2022 Thread: Early Voting Wins Preakness Stakes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The call of the race was incredible it's like didn't the announcer see that horse as it was charging on the inside?

I was a bit surprised to see that space along the rail. Usually one of the leaders is along the rail at the beginning of the home stretch.. in this race, Rich Strike had a clear lane along the rail and he took full advantage.

Horse race novice here...what reason would Rich Strike have to skip the Preakness. Isn't the goal of all who race in the Kentucky Derby to win the Triple Crown?
Only thing I can think of is a slight injury and they don't want to risk it causing something more serious that takes it out of both of the last two races of the Triple Crown. So they let it heal up and go into the Belmont as fresh as possible.

Preakness is the shortest of the three races. Rich Strike seems like a horse for longer runs. Belmont is 1 1/2 miles. Two out of ain't bad...

Horse race novice here...what reason would Rich Strike have to skip the Preakness. Isn't the goal of all who race in the Kentucky Derby to win the Triple Crown?
Only thing I can think of is a slight injury and they don't want to risk it causing something more serious that takes it out of both of the last two races of the Triple Crown. So they let it heal up and go into the Belmont as fresh as possible.

Part of the reason a Triple Crown winner is so rare is because the three races are different enough that it takes a rare horse to excel at all three. If Rich Strike isn't going to be competitive at the shorter Preakness, it hurts his end value less to skip the race than to be an also ran in it.

Part of the reason a Triple Crown winner is so rare is because the three races are different enough that it takes a rare horse to excel at all three. If Rich Strike isn't going to be competitive at the shorter Preakness, it hurts his end value less to skip the race than to be an also ran in it.

The way Rich Strike finished the KY Derby, he was flying past other horses. Afterwards he gave me the "I'm not done running yet" vibe. In the Belmont, we will see if that is true.

He was behind a lot of horses at the 1-3/16 mark of the Derby. Obviously, he would make a move sooner, but maybe the others aren't as tired earlier as they were coming to the line at the Derby.

The goal is to make money off stud fees and avoid injury.

The goal is to make money off stud fees and avoid injury.

More specifically, to maximize value at stud. A skip is less harmful than 7th place in the Preakness.

The owners already have a profit - over $1 million from a $30k investment. Big money is in stud fees. Could be over $100 million lifetime with KY Derby+Belmont wins. Triple Crown is what 8 million?

More specifically, to maximize value at stud. A skip is less harmful than 7th place in the Preakness.

The owners already have a profit - over $1 million from a $30k investment. Big money is in stud fees. Could be over $100 million lifetime with KY Derby+Belmont wins. Triple Crown is what 8 million?

This horse could never run another race again and pull in >>>>$10 million in stud fees. They only risk damaging their future income buy running at this point, especially one he is not ready for or not suited for. This sport is not about a competitive drive to win or the glory of winning, its about how much a horse will earn in "retirement" as a stud. It's why it was totally worth it to Baffert to cheat on the races because they'd made millions in stud money before anybody found out and most breeders don't care. People pay big money for pedigree and very few remember which ones were caught for drugging and which ones weren't.

This horse could never run another race again and pull in >>>>$10 million in stud fees. They only risk damaging their future income buy running at this point, especially one he is not ready for or not suited for. This sport is not about a competitive drive to win or the glory of winning, its about how much a horse will earn in "retirement" as a stud. It's why it was totally worth it to Baffert to cheat on the races because they'd made millions in stud money before anybody found out and most breeders don't care. People pay big money for pedigree and very few remember which ones were caught for drugging and which ones weren't.

I should add that mares run and win these races sometimes as well and they make plenty of money as brood mares after retirement too. The main point is, the winnings money and prestige that comes with winning a race is far out weighed by the post racing career breeding money.

I think we all know about stud fees and the like.

The way Rich Strike finished the KY Derby, he was flying past other horses. Afterwards he gave me the "I'm not done running yet" vibe. In the Belmont, we will see if that is true.

He was behind a lot of horses at the 1-3/16 mark of the Derby. Obviously, he would make a move sooner, but maybe the others aren't as tired earlier as they were coming to the line at the Derby.

The opening pace of the Derby really gassed many of the horses. I can't imagine that happening in the Belmont as well, so it will definitely be interesting to see if he has the ability to break away from horses with a bit more left in the tank.

These horses are athletic machines. The idea that running 21 football fields instead of 22 football fields would have a major effect on Rich Strike is pretty silly, imho.

These horses are athletic machines. The idea that running 21 football fields instead of 22 football fields would have a major effect on Rich Strike is pretty silly, imho.

Tell me you don't follow horse racing without telling me you don't follow horse racing.

Is this a typo? Wouldn't Triple Crown be worth more than Derby+Belmont?

Is this a typo? Wouldn't Triple Crown be worth more than Derby+Belmont?

Actually no. Preakness winner gets $600, 000. Belmont winner gets $800,000. Derby first place was $1.86 million. So total is only $3.26 million. I forgot that the Chrysler Triple Crown bonus went away in 2017.

ETA:

Winning three races would pay more than winning two, yeah. However, reputation (stud fee value) hit from losing Preakness would probably cost more than the $600K to be won.

Last edited:
Back