• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke graduation speech plagiarized from Harvard

Plagiarism is more than just copying; it's intellectual dishonesty. We have laws to prevent analogous lifting in other fields and contexts.

Whatamount, how do you feel about IP laws and patent protections?

I mean I get why it's important in the context, it's just a big shift when working within a company. Anything external we don't want shared we lock down with NDAs

IP laws and Patent Protections are super important IMO.

"And she noted that Duke’s $12.7 billion endowment is larger than the GDP of one-third of the world’s countries."

Man, like how do we evolve as a civilization to a point where statements like this are true.

In stand up comedy world this is joke stealing, here…meh who cares. Does the quality of a valedictorian speech really amount to anything of substance?

In stand up comedy world this is joke stealing, here…meh who cares. Does the quality of a valedictorian speech really amount to anything of substance?

The quality of the speech doesn't matter. What matters is that the speech wasn't original work, but was passed off as if she wrote it.

The quality of the speech doesn't matter. What matters is that the speech wasn't original work, but was passed off as if she wrote it.

My point is - so what in this instance? I’d equate it to hearing a great story from a friend at one party and then taking the story, changing a few details, and then telling it at another party with entirely different people.

Is she graded on the speech? Is she going to make money off it somehow? If there a no real stakes seems to me to be basically a non issue other than she will now be branded (looks like rightfully) a liar

I'm mostly just amazed that anyone actually listens closely enough to commencement speeches to realize when one is plagiarized.

My point is - so what in this instance? I’d equate it to hearing a great story from a friend at one party and then taking the story, changing a few details, and then telling it at another party with entirely different people.

Is she graded on the speech? Is she going to make money off it somehow? If there a no real stakes seems to me to be basically a non issue other than she will now be branded (looks like rightfully) a liar

It's intellectually dishonest (see Melania Trump and Michelle Obama) and does not reflect well on the school or its students. Makes some wonder how much of this is going on there and whether the school cares if it does. Integrity is still a thing....for now.

It's intellectually dishonest (see Joe Biden and Neil Kinnock, Robert F. Kennedy, JFK, the author of a May 1965 Fordham Law Review Article, etc., etc.) and does not reflect well on the school or its students. Makes some wonder how much of this is going on there and whether the school cares if it does. Integrity is still a thing....for now.

FIFY.

One of the most notorious serial plagiarists of all time is currently occupying the White House. Apparently it is not a show-stopper.

We all can't just get up there and call other countries "shithole countries", make fun of handicapped people, sympathize with nazis and white supremacists and claim to be the best/smartest/"insert ridiculous claim here".

God forbid someone call back to people like JFK.

:rolleyes:

I think you answered your own question

It's intellectually dishonest (see Melania Trump and Michelle Obama) and does not reflect well on the school or its students. Makes some wonder how much of this is going on there and whether the school cares if it does. Integrity is still a thing....for now.

As well as the sheer stupidity of doing it. I mean, this isn't like plagiarizing a research paper for a random high school English class, she was giving a commencement speech at Duke University and she thought nobody would notice the obvious plagiarism? It's all but certain that this isn't the first time she's plagiarized something, and the fact that it's a Duke grad that did something this dumb and thought they would get away with it is hilarious.

Last edited:
"And she noted that Duke’s $12.7 billion endowment is larger than the GDP of one-third of the world’s countries."

Man, like how do we evolve as a civilization to a point where statements like this are true.

basic capital accumulation imo

She, and Duke, should be (and I'm sure are) embarrassed.

What she did is lazy and dishonest. And dumb. And will likely follow her as she moves forward.

But it doesn't seem to me there should be any additional consequence, or reprisal/punishment from DU.

As well as the sheer stupidity of doing it. I mean, this isn't like plagiarizing a research paper for random high school English class, she was giving a commencement speech at Duke University and she thought nobody would notice the obvious plagiarism? It's all but certain that this isn't the first time she's plagiarized something, and the fact that it's a Duke grad that did something this dumb and thought they would get away with it is hilarious.

And she plagiarized her own experience not some trite BS, her own experience.

She blames her family and friends for “suggesting passages“ to her, and she just didn’t do a good job vetting them.

But one of her stories is about her personal experience coming through a security checkpoint and it exactly mirrors the previous speaker’s. So her family and friends apparently “suggested“ her own personal experiences.

Her family and friends are probably thinking, why are you blaming us??

Yep. She is definitely trying to deflect responsibility and continues to dishonestly characterize her prior dishonesty. Not what you want from someone representing your institution. She is not really apologetic, she is sorry she was caught and called out.

Back