• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke graduation speech plagiarized from Harvard

Under any other normal circumstances I wouldnt give a fuck if a graduation speech was plagiarized from the back of a cereal box. But fuck duke and fuck this cheating bitch.

Also wild to me how much academia cares about plagiarization. Once you get into the real world it is just the standard operating procedure. Someone made a good slide? Let me grab that.

Plagiarism is more than just copying; it's intellectual dishonesty. We have laws to prevent analogous lifting in other fields and contexts.

Whatamount, how do you feel about IP laws and patent protections?

Also wild to me how much academia cares about plagiarization. Once you get into the real world it is just the standard operating procedure. Someone made a good slide? Let me grab that.

You can grab it in academia. Just say where you got it and credit them. You can’t pass it off as your own work.

You can grab it in academia. Just say where you got it and credit them. You can’t pass it off as your own work.
Yeah. And in fact doing this responsibly makes your work look even stronger

It happens every couple of years. It's a dumb genre and people aren't very creative

She blames her family and friends for “suggesting passages“ to her, and she just didn’t do a good job vetting them.

But one of her stories is about her personal experience coming through a security checkpoint and it exactly mirrors the previous speaker’s. So her family and friends apparently “suggested“ her own personal experiences.

Her family and friends are probably thinking, why are you blaming us??

Like, one of my million jobs is editing and clearing graduation speeches. The first think I check for is plagiarism. I'm at a high school of 400 people. How does this get by at Duke?

Like, one of my million jobs is editing and clearing graduation speeches. The first think I check for is plagiarism. I'm at a high school of 400 people. How does this get by at Duke?

Because dukies gonna duke (wakephan09 2022).

Yikes. Has to cast doubt on the authenticity of any work she did to get her degree as well.

So I guess people actually listen to graduation speeches? I was too busy sweating out my hangover in my robe and trying not to puke on the Quad.

Graduation speeches are simultaneously the easiest/hardest speeches to write. It's easy to hit on the "go forth/follow your dreams/don't fear failure/make a better world/remember your alma mater/it's special here" tropes. It is hard to write an engaging speech that uses a new theme or uses the old ones in an interesting/funny way. See John Stewart, Conan O'Brien, Steve Jobs.

The Duke student could have just mailed in yet another easy to write speech. Instead she aspired to the second speech but had to plagiarize to pull it off. Has to hurt that she plagiarized Harvard as it looks like Duke <<<<<< Harvard. Harvard is the school Duke students cheat off of. Not the peer or near-peer institutions they like to think of themselves as ("Southern Ivy").

Makes you wonder how many professors she had to sleep with to get valedictorian in the first place.

Why would you plagiarize a commencement speech? There’s nothing to be gained. Even if you have a great speech, half the people weren’t listening, the other half will think wow that was really nice and forget about it in 5 minutes.

does wake do valedictorian? did they give a speech?

no recollection of either

Back