• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: An Idiot Abroad: Spain or Italy or France !????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

santorini is sandy and windy with some beautiful views. Up close it is an arid tourist trap. Everyone on our cruise felt like it had been WAY over sold by the photos that you see.

this is like when people say the us virgin islands is overrated based on a few hours in st thomas

santorini is sandy and windy with some beautiful views. Up close it is an arid tourist trap. Everyone on our cruise felt like it had been WAY over sold by the photos that you see.

Up until recently, all the cruise ships would send people to Thera. This the place with the donkeys and the stairs and the gondola. Thera is a tourist trap. Its all the same kitchy shit you see everywhere. Now they have a new port which is even more south, so people take buses to Thera, and takes even more time to get there. If they take a tour of the island, they usually fly through Oia. The other problem is if you stay for the night Oia is packed with everyone trying to get that one Instagram picture. A whole island of tourists all trying to squeeze into one spot, people literally hanging off buildings.

So the way to enjoy it is find a time where it isn't packed and enjoy relaxing. It is not a do something island, it is a good do nothing island. Mykonos has the beaches and the clubs, but they also gets very crowded during tourist season. Everyone wants to be in the town, there are some decent hotels and Airbnbs outside of there, but the rest is pretty arid.

Most people don't really see much besides these two places. There are over 100 islands that have amazing beaches and food and towns, that would be the way to really enjoy it, find one of the less crowded places. Not rush through it to check it off the list, but to relax.

You donks, of course the parts of cities you see on cruises are touristy

this is like when people say the us virgin islands is overrated based on a few hours in st thomas

i have spent a week in santorini, 10 years ago this month. It sucked then and it sucked during our cruise last year.

Shoulda just taken my wife’s advice three days ago and not given a shit about giving people covid

That’s quite a jump in price. Might as well just buy a car at that price.

Says right there on the screen that it's a Great Deal.

Up until recently, all the cruise ships would send people to Thera. This the place with the donkeys and the stairs and the gondola. Thera is a tourist trap. Its all the same kitchy shit you see everywhere. Now they have a new port which is even more south, so people take buses to Thera, and takes even more time to get there. If they take a tour of the island, they usually fly through Oia. The other problem is if you stay for the night Oia is packed with everyone trying to get that one Instagram picture. A whole island of tourists all trying to squeeze into one spot, people literally hanging off buildings.

So the way to enjoy it is find a time where it isn't packed and enjoy relaxing. It is not a do something island, it is a good do nothing island. Mykonos has the beaches and the clubs, but they also gets very crowded during tourist season. Everyone wants to be in the town, there are some decent hotels and Airbnbs outside of there, but the rest is pretty arid.

Most people don't really see much besides these two places. There are over 100 islands that have amazing beaches and food and towns, that would be the way to really enjoy it, find one of the less crowded places. Not rush through it to check it off the list, but to relax.

i did have an amazing meal at a little place outside of Thera when we were there 10 years ago. I was excited to go back and was really annoyed that it had closed during COVID.

The beaches on Santorini are interesting but you have to work at it to get there, either in a very overpriced Uber or get bikes. Also take the boat across the caldera to the old town with the active volcano features. It's an all day commitment but that was a good experience.

When I was there for a week, every afternoon it felt like you were getting a facial from all the sand that would blow everywhere, and you would end up with sand in your hair, your clothes, EVERYWHERE. It may not be like that all year round, but I hated it. When we went back last year at a different time of year, same result.

It is definitely a polarizing place. I have heard people say that it's one of the most beautiful places on earth, and there are also plenty of people like me who just thought "meh." Good luck, I hope you love it.

did my first costco car rental and did not get a one-way fee from Indianapolis to Chicago (3 hour drive, so YMMV (literally))

I know I've probably linked this before, but fuck me, it's hilarious.

It's basically the only good thing resulting from Alex Jones.

Re:Dwayne Haskins, how hard is it to have a .22 at 6AM? Like if I get totally shitfaced and fall asleep at 1AM, what am I blowing at 6AM?

i did have an amazing meal at a little place outside of Thera when we were there 10 years ago. I was excited to go back and was really annoyed that it had closed during COVID.

The beaches on Santorini are interesting but you have to work at it to get there, either in a very overpriced Uber or get bikes. Also take the boat across the caldera to the old town with the active volcano features. It's an all day commitment but that was a good experience.

When I was there for a week, every afternoon it felt like you were getting a facial from all the sand that would blow everywhere, and you would end up with sand in your hair, your clothes, EVERYWHERE. It may not be like that all year round, but I hated it. When we went back last year at a different time of year, same result.

It is definitely a polarizing place. I have heard people say that it's one of the most beautiful places on earth, and there are also plenty of people like me who just thought "meh." Good luck, I hope you love it.

This is crazy to me - I have never heard these takes on Santorini. We stayed in a VRBO right on the main strip along the ridge of the island in Oia - rooms built back into the old wine caves, etc. - so nice and so cool! The food was awesome everywhere we went. The people were friendly. We did a wine tasting tour that ended on a cliffside with an incredible sunset view. We did a day-long catamaran cruise that was incredible. We jumped off high rocks into the beautiful but cold water. We ate grilled octopus from street vendors. We did like a 6 mile hike on a trail leading over to Fira - had lunch and taxiied back. I don't remember wind or sand? We never went to a beach.

Back