• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Women's Basketball (7-24) - Hinds to return in 2024-25

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
From Currie's From the Quad:

Good evening from Winston-Salem!

This special edition of From the Quad brings exciting news for Wake Forest women’s basketball, Winston-Salem and the entire Demon Deacon Nation as a short time ago I had the privilege to meet with our student-athletes in the Shah Basketball Complex and introduce them to our new head women’s basketball coach, Megan Gebbia!

Coach Gebbia has built a championship culture during her nine-year tenure at American University (2013-22) with three regular season Patriot League titles (2015, 2018, 2019), three league tournament championships (2015, 2018, 2022) and three NCAA Tournament appearances. She has been named Patriot League Coach of the Year twice and has led the Eagles to five 20-plus win seasons.

Student-athletes are at the center of every decision we make for Wake Forest Athletics and our search process began two weeks ago with a team meeting followed by me visiting one-on-one with each of our players over a two-day period to ensure we fully understood what was most important to them. These individual meetings were inspirational to me as our players articulated what is special to them about Wake Forest and characteristics they valued in their next head coach. We have very smart women in our program who love Wake Forest, their teammates and want to win and improve as players.

With Coach Gebbia, I believe we have a perfect fit to provide a true World-Class Student-Athlete Experience to unlock and achieve the high potential befitting the tremendous support and investment that exists for our women’s basketball program. She is a great relationship builder who has created a positive team culture and consistent identity for her teams on and off the court. Her player development skills are evidenced by three conference Players of the Year, five Patriot League Scholar Athletes of the Year and American’s first ever Academic All-American. In her 27 years in the coaching profession, Coach Gebbia has helped her teams reach the NCAA Tournament 12 times, advancing on four occasions including a Sweet Sixteen appearance as an assistant at Marist in 2007. She is American’s all-time wins leader and the only head coach in program history to lead American to the NCAA Tournament.

Coach Gebbia (pronounced: JEB-ee-ah) had a 160-105 record at American. She was 23-8 (13-5) last season. She won the Patriot League tournament and lost in the 1st round as a #14 seed to Michigan 74-39. Michigan went on to make the Elite Eight where they lost to Louisville who was ranked #4 in the country.

Last edited:
This seems like the kind of hire we needed. Proven track record at a mid-major. Not a one year flash in the pan.

I'm excited for the hire. She was Associate HC at Marist from 2003-2013. Marist is a mid-major powerhouse in WBB. From 2003-2014, Marist was 291-71 and made 10 NCAAT's.

This is a cool endorsement.

Wow. Yeah, that's great. Unsolicited too, I assume. Much better than Carmelo Anthony, "He was my coach in Denver."

Maybe we can get an article in The Athletic about Coach Gebbia.

The coaching search took 2 weeks and Currie landed a low-major head coach coming off a NCAA Tournament appearance. Pretty straight forward.

------
Forget what I said about unsolicited. Still cool.

• David Aldridge, Sports Journalist and American University alum:
    • "I knew this day would come, and I'm sad for us, but thrilled for Megan. I feel she is the best coach we have had at American. She is a winner and wins the right way."

https://godeacs.com/news/2022/5/26/...ia-to-lead-wake-forest-womens-basketball.aspx

Last edited:

This special edition of From the Quad brings exciting news for Wake Forest women’s basketball, Winston-Salem and the entire Demon Deacon Nation as a short time ago I had the privilege to meet with our student-athletes in the Shah Basketball Complex and introduce them to our new head women’s basketball coach, Megan Gebbia!

Coach Gebbia has built a championship culture during her nine-year tenure at American University (2013-22) with three regular season Patriot League titles (2015, 2018, 2019), three league tournament championships (2015, 2018, 2022) and three NCAA Tournament appearances. She has been named Patriot League Coach of the Year twice and has led the Eagles to five 20-plus win seasons.

Student-athletes are at the center of every decision we make for Wake Forest Athletics and our search process began two weeks ago with a team meeting followed by me visiting one-on-one with each of our players over a two-day period to ensure we fully understood what was most important to them. These individual meetings were inspirational to me as our players articulated what is special to them about Wake Forest and characteristics they valued in their next head coach. We have very smart women in our program who love Wake Forest, their teammates and want to win and improve as players.

With Coach Gebbia, I believe we have a perfect fit to provide a true World-Class Student-Athlete Experience to unlock and achieve the high potential befitting the tremendous support and investment that exists for our women’s basketball program. She is a great relationship builder who has created a positive team culture and consistent identity for her teams on and off the court. Her player development skills are evidenced by three conference Players of the Year, five Patriot League Scholar Athletes of the Year and American’s first ever Academic All-American. In her 27 years in the coaching profession, Coach Gebbia has helped her teams reach the NCAA Tournament 12 times, advancing on four occasions including a Sweet Sixteen appearance as an assistant at Marist in 2007. She is American’s all-time wins leader and the only head coach in program history to lead American to the NCAA Tournament.

Our very own coach relationships! Welcome.

Nicole Krusen was was on Gabbia’s staff at AU. Her dad, Herb Krusen, was a WF assistant in the 1980s and 1990s

Gebbia's assistants all started at American with her in 2013-14. Coll played at UMBC and was an assistant at Towson before going to AU. Flores and Stallings played under Gebbia at Marist. Krusen came in as DOBO in 2016-17.
https://aueagles.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster#sidearm-roster-coaches

Looks possible that all of them could come with her to Winston unless AU decides to promote one of them.

Would think she may want a little more diversity on her WF staff.

She’s clearly a proven winner at the mid major level, and I am cautiously optimistic about the hire, but don’t you have to question a 25 year career mid majors ability to transition and recruit at the ACC level? But I know nothing about recruiting in women’s Bball.

I don't know much either. I know there are fewer elite talents, but there's also less evaluation. So it's probably best to find a coach who can identify hidden gems and players who have room to improve. Player development is key because there's less risk of players leaving early for the pros. Obviously she needs to win with who she has. She's immediately going to have to recruit a lot of players for the 2023 class.

I’m cautiously optimistic about the hire. She needs more height and athleticism to compete in the conference, especially at the 3, 4, & 5.

I’m cautiously optimistic about the hire. She needs more height and athleticism to compete in the conference, especially at the 3, 4, & 5.

Something almost any basketball coach will say. I need more height...

Coach Relationships II ;)

something tells me this will go down as another great Currie hire.

Considering the amount of former Wake WBB players now coaching, I wonder if it is worth bringing one on as an Assistant

Also this seems like a pretty great hire. Hopefully has some results

Back