• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Any insiders have info on adding any sports?

I’m not sure how much they can actually help when conference shakeup happens. They are inevitably revenue negative at a school like Wake which means less money to spend on sports that generate TV revenue. We also have some real facilities limitations for Softball. Where do you put the field? I think you could add Lax to Kentner, but that obviously doesn’t balance Title 9.
Nobody wants to play lacrosse on astroturf and field hockey won't play on field turf or natural grass

Not sure there is any reason for Wake to add varsity sports rn.

If we did, would much prefer wrestling and softball above M/W lacrosse. I looked into it one time, looks like WF did have a wrestling team briefly in the 1950s. Bill George entered the Southern Conference Championship independently and is a 3-time champion! https://johnnythompsonnum1.blogspot...story-of-bill-george-and.html#google_vignette

I find field hockey probably the least interesting to watch, though I know we have strong history of teams there.

Title IX compliance would be the only incentive for WF to ever add a sport as the bottom line is hugely important to WF, and there is some truth that rather than half-ass it with a number of sports, WF tries to provide the budget to compete at a high-level in the few sports that WF offers. So far, WF has been able to stay out of Title IX compliance cross-hairs, even though WF offers far more schollys to men then women, because football offers 85 and there is no female equivalent sport. If Title IX became a hot button issue in the future to the point that WF would need to have more girls on scholarship, I would expect softball would the be the addition as WF already offers baseball, and softball facility can be tiny as he field dimensions are equivalent to a little league field. I don't see WF adding lacrosse (maybe WF would have a women's only team like Vandy) because the rosters are big, and there are major facility needs to play.

Title IX compliance would be the only incentive for WF to ever add a sport as the bottom line is hugely important to WF, and there is some truth that rather than half-ass it with a number of sports, WF tries to provide the budget to compete at a high-level in the few sports that WF offers. So far, WF has been able to stay out of Title IX compliance cross-hairs, even though WF offers far more schollys to men then women, because football offers 85 and there is no female equivalent sport. If Title IX became a hot button issue in the future to the point that WF would need to have more girls on scholarship, I would expect softball would the be the addition as WF already offers baseball, and softball facility can be tiny as he field dimensions are equivalent to a little league field. I don't see WF adding lacrosse (maybe WF would have a women's only team like Vandy) because the rosters are big, and there are major facility needs to play.

My understanding is that football is kind of disregarded when it comes to Title IX compliance since there is no equivalent women's sports. The powers that be focus on equality between all the other sports.

My understanding is that football is kind of disregarded when it comes to Title IX compliance since there is no equivalent women's sports. The powers that be focus on equality between all the other sports.

Not entirely true. Obviously you're not making up for an 85 scholarship gap, but scholarship limits in women's sports don't balance directly with their men's equivalents.

Based on the sports we offer, I think that WF has space for 56.2 men's scholarships (not including FB - it's 141.2 with FB), and 85 women's scholarships.

That's the argument that the Power V schools make. Not every administration agrees with that take.

Back