• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Any insiders have info on adding any sports?

deacdixieboy

Reaction score
In the past we’ve discussed the obvious desire to add lacrosse programs. I basically just wanted to post that Duke and Clemson did not have softball programs 5 years ago. They are both playing in super regionals. I don’t think these sports move the needle a whole bunch but having more programs, and having them be successful, can only help when the inevitable conference shake-up happens. So today I will add my desire for a softball program to the list based on Duke and Clemson having success quickly.

I’m not sure how much they can actually help when conference shakeup happens. They are inevitably revenue negative at a school like Wake which means less money to spend on sports that generate TV revenue. We also have some real facilities limitations for Softball. Where do you put the field? I think you could add Lax to Kentner, but that obviously doesn’t balance Title 9.

I’m not sure how much they can actually help when conference shakeup happens. They are inevitably revenue negative at a school like Wake which means less money to spend on sports that generate TV revenue. We also have some real facilities limitations for Softball. Where do you put the field? I think you could add Lax to Kentner, but that obviously doesn’t balance Title 9.

There shouldn’t be a Title IX issue because you just bring on both men and women. I hear you on the softball space issue. The fields are actually very tiny. I think they could fit one in the sports complex area quite easily.

There shouldn’t be a Title IX issue because you just bring on both men and women. I hear you on the softball space issue. The fields are actually very tiny. I think they could fit one in the sports complex area quite easily.

Where is the money to spool up two new teams?

The future of nonrevenues are bleak at best with NIL. Justice Kavanaugh may well turn his attention to Title IX next. The law, after all, simply doesn't say "thought shall have equal number of schollies." And even if Title IX holds, that may mean they just have to dump more men's programs.

Teams are already starting to go all in on one or two sports. That trend will grow. There is only so much money at school's like Wake. A decision to go all in on men's basketball would be wise. I'd expect you'll see that from the Villanova, Gonzaga, Duke's of the world. Those 3 have had the proper recipe for men's hoops: hire young, hire those you know, stay with small stadiums, and now--men's basketball focus on the NIL money.

Folks certainly have the choice to spend their money on the tennis team. But that choice will come with more continued ill consequences for men's basketball. There is only so much to go around at these smaller schools.

I Posted an article a few weeks ago re: a proposal to remove scholarship limits from certain sports and leave it up to schools/conferences. This would give schools like WF the choice to either increase scholarship outlays in baseball, for instance, or choose to compete at a known scholarship disadvantage. This would seem to preclude adding more scholarship sports.

I Posted an article a few weeks ago re: a proposal to remove scholarship limits from certain sports and leave it up to schools/conferences. This would give schools like WF the choice to either increase scholarship outlays in baseball, for instance, or choose to compete at a known scholarship disadvantage. This would seem to preclude adding more scholarship sports.

As long as Title IX is in effect, I don't see college administrations jeopardizing other federal funds to go that way. Heavy federal sanctions for Title IX Violations could mean loss of all federal dollars for education.

Pell grants. Federally backed student loans etc. NIH grants. $32 Billion annually is enough to catch peoples' attention. That is what just NIH gives out in biomedical research grants. Don't mess with doctors' money.

The future of nonrevenues are bleak at best with NIL. Justice Kavanaugh may well turn his attention to Title IX next. The law, after all, simply doesn't say "thought shall have equal number of schollies." And even if Title IX holds, that may mean they just have to dump more men's programs.

Teams are already starting to go all in on one or two sports. That trend will grow. There is only so much money at school's like Wake. A decision to go all in on men's basketball would be wise. I'd expect you'll see that from the Villanova, Gonzaga, Duke's of the world. Those 3 have had the proper recipe for men's hoops: hire young, hire those you know, stay with small stadiums, and now--men's basketball focus on the NIL money.

Folks certainly have the choice to spend their money on the tennis team. But that choice will come with more continued ill consequences for men's basketball. There is only so much to go around at these smaller schools.

One of the schools you just mentioned though is one of the ones that literally just brought on a new softball team. I agree with your points for the most part, but if a football split off happens, schools will be looking for homes for everything else. I think that having more programs and more competitive programs would actually help our bball and baseball teams end up with a better home if this worst case scenario happens.

One of the schools you just mentioned though is one of the ones that literally just brought on a new softball team. I agree with your points for the most part, but if a football split off happens, schools will be looking for homes for everything else. I think that having more programs and more competitive programs would actually help our bball and baseball teams end up with a better home if this worst case scenario happens.

When the football split happens teams left out will have a lot less revenue to fund the sports they have.

As long as Title IX is in effect, I don't see college administrations jeopardizing other federal funds to go that way. Heavy federal sanctions for Title IX Violations could mean loss of all federal dollars for education.

Pell grants. Federally backed student loans etc. NIH grants. $32 Billion annually is enough to catch peoples' attention. That is what just NIH gives out in biomedical research grants. Don't mess with doctors' money.

The previous discussion and the corresponding article described in detail how Title IX compliance would be maintained with such an arrangement. This is not a deal breaker.

There may be IRS issues if schools start having football teams that employ non-student athletes. Lots of current facilities were donated under gifts to non profit charitable causes. A junior pro football team would no longer be eligible for tax deductions. Could be costly to transfer facilities from "student-athlete use" status to "use by professional athletes only" status.

When the football split happens teams left out will have a lot less revenue to fund the sports they have.

Perhaps. The gigantic deal that a super conference would have does not preclude the other schools from also having lucrative deals (or deals relatively equivalent to what exist now).

There may be IRS issues if schools start having football teams that employ non-student athletes. Lots of current facilities were donated under gifts to non profit charitable causes. A junior pro football team would no longer be eligible for tax deductions. Could be costly to transfer facilities from "student-athlete use" status to "use by professional athletes only" status.

Who said anything about the athletes not being students?

Who said anything about the athletes not being students?

Some of the football breakaway proposals have been for the football players to be paid players, not students.

That could have significant financial impact on the institutions. And impair their ability to support revenue negative sports for actual student-athletes.

Why would a junior pro football team not be eligible for tax deductions? It can still be non-profit.

Why would a junior pro football team not be eligible for tax deductions? It can still be non-profit.

It could still take deductions for ordinary and necessary business expenses but it would no longer qualify as tax exempt.

That is so true. When this split happens it will probably be into 3 divides. Top echelon will be SEC-16 plus who ever they invite that want sports only—so 24-30 total. Then there is the rest of the ACC and the Alliance schools of Power 5. Then there will be the rest of D1as the also rans.

Will also be interesting to see if SEC decides to have their own 8-team conference title tilt and tell the rest of the “Alliance” to go FU! Couldn’t blame them since they screwed up the expanded playoffs.

Back