• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Urbanik, RIP

Deaconblue

Reaction score
Bill Urbanik, former Wake assistant football coach under Mackovic and color commentator with both Gene Overby and Stan Cotten on Wake FB broadcasts has passed away.

He was one of the best at color work I ever heard. He had great knowledge of Wake FB. However, he didn't sugar coat his comments on the short comings of the Wake teams he talked about. I have missed his broadcasts over the last several years. Now he is gone from among us.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/winstonsalem/name/william-urbanik-obituary?id=35041268

Surprising that the obituary says so little about his time at Wake, considering he was living in Kernersville at the time of his death.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. I liked listening to him too> Condolences to his family.

Bill was great, a lot better football color guy than the guy we've got now, who I think is a baseball guy?

Ya know, Stan... he was great. It was a bit of a shock when you first heard him but he really know his stuff.

Bill Urbanik sounded like football. Really miss him on the radio.

Sorry to learn this and sincerest condolences to his family. Bill was great fun to listen to on the radio and I miss him. He brought a real down-to-earth vibe to the broadcasts and as others have said didn't pull punches when he thought the team wasn't measuring up.

Thanks for posting the link to the obit. I didn't know a lot of that history, including that Bill played at OSU. (I can forgive that association in his case.) :) A good life. Rest in peace and thanks for the memories.

When he spoke there was never a doubt about his gravitas for the subject matter. No tomorrows promised.

Back