• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Long Covid Thread

Just follow the logic trail and you understand how any conversation is going to go off the rails. There’s definitions for things it’s how you get a medical diagnosis and there is one for long covid as well. It’s probably not neat and tidy which is a problem but it does exist. Say someone that was hospitalized and had their lungs absolutely wrecked by covid and now are fatigued and have difficulty breathing do they have long covid, no it’s cause is well known and defined. Does someone that gets Guillain-Barré syndrome have long covid, no they have Guillain-Barré syndrome caused by covid, just like if it was caused by CMV or EBV, and the rare case a vaccine like the flu shot or zoster vaccine. So then here’s where making up definitions creates things that are misleading.
1. The covid vaccine causes long covid
2. Long covid is just a broad term it includes things like Guillain-Barré syndrome
The covid vaccine does cause things like Guillain-Barré syndrome at an extremely low low rate, just as a slew of other vaccines do but to call it long covid is wrong at best.

Maybe we should starting calling all long term negative effects of any vaccine "Long Covid," just for simplicity.

I'm suffering from long covid still from the deacs' loss in the acc basketball tournament

Maybe this was bad taste so I deleted.

Seems like SD3 has been through some real shit in the last year or so.

Maybe this was bad taste so I deleted.

Seems like SD3 has been through some real shit in the last year or so.

I'm doing much better. The last year was tough though, yes. There are many out there much worse than I. Definitely feel for those folks.

My wife probably won't take the Vax again after it left her 2 quarter sized bald spots the last time she took it.

To be clear, I don't think anyone is arguing that vaccine side effects are not real. They are obviously real, just incredibly rare. I think docs are generally pretty touchy about it because there is so much fear mongering and BS out there (OMG LOOK AT THE VAERS REPORTS!!!!!) that have blown the actual risk way out of proportion, contributing to the vaccine hesitancy that has lead to hundreds of thousands of extra deaths in our country.

Incredibly rare and not at all unique to the COVID vaccine which reinforces that the COVID vaccine isn't something new and untested.

just confirmed with covid for the first time with symptoms the past few days. went to a concert and a wedding over the weekend. My wifes family has a wedding saturday and she is pissssssed at me

just confirmed with covid for the first time with symptoms the past few days. went to a concert and a wedding over the weekend. My wifes family has a wedding saturday and she is pissssssed at me

God dammit Otto, you have lupus!

"Studies find that when you get short of breath it means you are out of breath" Thanks science!

Probably just that post 30's anxiety though...

Exploring the body-brain connection of Long COVID

Understanding the link between Long COVID, suicide, and mental health issues is more complicated than it might seem. While some people do develop depression, anxiety, or other mental health issues after their diagnoses, others are suffering from physical symptoms that have psychological side effects or that are mistaken for mental health problems, experts say.

The virus that causes COVID-19 has well-documented effects on the brain, which can potentially result in psychiatric and neurologic symptoms, says Dr. Wes Ely, who treats Long COVID patients at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. “We’ve been collecting brains of some patients who didn’t survive Long COVID,” he says. “We’re seeing inflammation and ongoing cellular abnormalities in these brains.”

Those changes to the brain can have profound effects, possibly including suicidal thinking and behavior. “There is a high probability that symptoms of psychiatric, neurological and physical illnesses, as well as inflammatory damage to the brain in individuals with post-COVID syndrome, increase suicidal ideation and behavior in this patient population,” reads a January 2021 article in QJM: An International Journal of Medicine. Research published as a preprint last year (meaning it had not been peer-reviewed) also found differences between “post-COVID depression” and typical depression, including higher rates of suicidal behavior—suggesting “a different disease process at least in a subset of individuals.”

-------------------

Part of the problem is that in the U.S., illnesses are typically considered either physical or mental, but not both, says Abigail Hardin, an assistant professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Rush University who works with seriously ill patients, including those with Long COVID. “In reality, all of these things are actually very bidirectional,” she says. “Everything is integrated.”

In part because the medical system often fails to accommodate that complexity, many chronic-disease patients are misdiagnosed or assigned labels that don’t capture the full reality of their conditions.

https://time.com/6186429/suicide-long-covid/

Question about how to evaluate long-term vaccine effects -- given that people can be asymptomatic or have symptoms that never warrant getting tested, and given that the vaccines are no longer as protective against infection from recent variants, how easy is it to pin long COVID effects on a vaccine vs. an undiagnosed infection?

Seems you'd need someone with evidence of no antibodies pre-vaccination, and even then it might be hard to say whether later effects are from the vaccine vs. a subsequent infection.

This cough won't go away and it's been a month. Sometimes it's a dry cough and sometimes there's mucus. I read a Twitter post saying the congestion is due to the lungs still being inflamed. Not sure if I should see if the doctor can give me anything to knock it out or if I just just buy something otc. Any suggestions, because this thing is driving me crazy

Question about how to evaluate long-term vaccine effects -- given that people can be asymptomatic or have symptoms that never warrant getting tested, and given that the vaccines are no longer as protective against infection from recent variants, how easy is it to pin long COVID effects on a vaccine vs. an undiagnosed infection?

Seems you'd need someone with evidence of no antibodies pre-vaccination, and even then it might be hard to say whether later effects are from the vaccine vs. a subsequent infection.

Yep I think you're right at this point in time. IMO, it was much easier to identify back when folks were just getting their first vaccinations and everyone had not yet been infected with the actual virus.

I will say for the two folks I know that had complications after getting the vaccine, the symptoms were immediate and did not let up for 3-6 months. Both claim they had no previous infection which was much easier to tell back during Delta when it hit you like a truck.

This cough won't go away and it's been a month. Sometimes it's a dry cough and sometimes there's mucus. I read a Twitter post saying the congestion is due to the lungs still being inflamed. Not sure if I should see if the doctor can give me anything to knock it out or if I just just buy something otc. Any suggestions, because this thing is driving me crazy

Without going the OTC route, I'd try Turmeric/Curcumin for the lung inflammation. Costco sells a bottle that already has black pepper within the capsule, which aids in absorption.

how long have people tested positive for? i first tested positive last Tuesday and based on the darkness of the test result (no idea if thats an indicator though or not), doesnt appear to be testing negative anytime soon

I’ve known a few people where it lasts a month or two but it doesn’t last 6 months

Back