• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Long Covid Thread

I think it took my wife and I about 10 days to test negative

Had a friend who kept testing positive for a month. He also has almost no sense of taste 1.5 years later.

I currently have Covid and my doctor told me not to bother testing to see if it is gone because it could continue to be positive for weeks after.

So, I'm on day 15 of self-diagnosed bronchitis. I'm approaching my mid-30's & have never been sick for more than a day.

I tested (negative) for COVID at the onset of the sickness, and again around day 10, as a requirement of boarding a cruise (which we're now on).

While my syptoms check of every box of bronchitis, I'm getting more and more concerned there's more to it.

The strangest elements have been me feeling pretty OK when I'm upright, but as soon as I rest in any position other than sitting straight up; it's like my esophagus & throat tighten up. Nothing I've done really helps it.

My cough only really surfaces waking up and falling asleep.

Certain random foods/drinks (eating a tootsie roll nearly killed me) have caused me a ton of discomfort. Pretty much anything that thickens my saliva is no bueno.

I only dealt with hacking up a little infection (green mucus) for a day or two (on the first weekend) & that was gone by the time I could have seen my doc... but, now I'm regretting not being more proactive before I left the country.

I've got a few more tests that I'll take at the end of our trip & after isolating myself at home for a couple of days...

Having more upper chest pains the past couple of days has startled me.

I currently have Covid and my doctor told me not to bother testing to see if it is gone because it could continue to be positive for weeks after.

I'm vaccinated and boosted once and tested postive for 3 1/2 weeks starting on Memorial Day weekend. I didn't recover full taste and smell for over 4 weeks.

So, I'm on day 15 of self-diagnosed bronchitis. I'm approaching my mid-30's & have never been sick for more than a day.

I tested (negative) for COVID at the onset of the sickness, and again around day 10, as a requirement of boarding a cruise (which we're now on).

While my syptoms check of every box of bronchitis, I'm getting more and more concerned there's more to it.

The strangest elements have been me feeling pretty OK when I'm upright, but as soon as I rest in any position other than sitting straight up; it's like my esophagus & throat tighten up. Nothing I've done really helps it.

My cough only really surfaces waking up and falling asleep.

Certain random foods/drinks (eating a tootsie roll nearly killed me) have caused me a ton of discomfort. Pretty much anything that thickens my saliva is no bueno.

I only dealt with hacking up a little infection (green mucus) for a day or two (on the first weekend) & that was gone by the time I could have seen my doc... but, now I'm regretting not being more proactive before I left the country.

I've got a few more tests that I'll take at the end of our trip & after isolating myself at home for a couple of days...

Having more upper chest pains the past couple of days has startled me.

Dude, get in to see a cardiologist as soon as you get home. The differences between upright and at rest are worth being concerned about.

I get that it's hard to convince a doctor on the phone that you don't have covid, but self-diagnosing yourself with bronchitis is stupid. Go to a doctor.

I got bronchitis and pneumonia every winter in college and it was pretty much how you described it except worse. Weird that covid has convinced people that professional diagnoses don't matter anymore and that we should suffer alone. At least it's not covid and we can go on our cruise!

And I don't mean to sound insensitive to your suffering. But just because it's not covid doesn't mean it isn't, or won't become, more serious

Tested positive last Monday and planned on going back to work tomorrow. Just tested positive again.

yeah I think once you're past X days of symptoms starting, you're good to go. No point in waiting for a negative test or for symptoms to go away. You can be coughing for months later

You can test positive for up to 3 months. Really no point testing again.

yeah I think once you're past X days of symptoms starting, you're good to go. No point in waiting for a negative test or for symptoms to go away. You can be coughing for months later

Different types of test. There is likely no point in taking another PCR test, those could be positive for a long time. But taking a rapid test is a great way to see if you are still infectious. CDC still says only 5 days, but pretty good recent data suggests many people are still infectious beyond this point, and the rapid test is the best way we have to determine this.

is it effectively positive rapid test = contagious; negative rapid test = not contagious?

is that true across variants?

Back